UTSW Class of 2009!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SteveUTexas

hmmm.....
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wow, what a great end to such a long process. My number one choice.

Members don't see this ad.

will UTSW pay for second look weekend in late Feb.?

i highly doubt it
i figure it won't be that much to book a flight on southwest airlines...it usually costs me around 90 bucks to fly roundrip to dallas from houston

Members don't see this ad :)
Mateodaspy said:

they will?! thatd be so awesome if they did! when exactly is 2nd look wknd and what do we do there?? congrats everyone! :thumbup:

I live here in Dallas so I guess it's just going to be a short commute..well i actually live in Denton for those of you that are familiar with the area...I am honored to have all you as my classmates

I am sure that all of the info regarding 2nd look will be in the admission packet that they send us.

I can't wait to meet all of you!!!!

First time poster, but I've been lurking around on the board...

I'm excited to know that I matched at UTSW too!

But...I was wondering if anyone is still waiting to hear from other schools (Baylor, perhaps?) before accepting the offer from UTSW?

Mateodaspy said:

Congratulations on getting into UTSW! It's a great place to be and y'all will love it. Sadly, UTSW doesn't pay for second look weekend (unless they completely hosed me last year). Again, congrats and enjoy the feeling of getting in.

Mateodaspy said:

no...but they're paying US to host you for MS0 day. ha!

but seriously. congratulations to all of you for matching. UTSW is a great school and you'll have a great time. I remember how excited I was when I matched last year...don't let that feeling die. umm...that's all I have to say.

When is MS0 day? And are all of you planning on coming to it?

Hey all! Congrats on the acceptances to UTSW--were you all as restless as I was last night after the news?!?!

Hope you guys can make it to MS0 day--look forward to meeting ya'll.

Members don't see this ad :)
runner1979 said:
Hey all! Congrats on the acceptances to UTSW--were you all as restless as I was last night after the news?!?!

Hope you guys can make it to MS0 day--look forward to meeting ya'll.

Heck yeah I was, What's MSO?

hey do you guys know how to find your login and password for the med apps site? I don't think I have my interview invitation anymore.

CONGRATULATIONS EVERYONE!

Now, Come Celebrate Your Acceptance And Meet Your New Classmates!!
We Are Meeting At Trudy's On 30th Street In Austin At 9pm Tonight

just got may acceptance last night, obviously... would enjoy hearing from anyone in the Class of 2009. Congrats to everyone and I look forward to attending a great school next year.

wow, i was accepted, too! so excited. what a great school. :)

BenYossarian said:
no...but they're paying US to host you for MS0 day. ha!

but seriously. congratulations to all of you for matching. UTSW is a great school and you'll have a great time. I remember how excited I was when I matched last year...don't let that feeling die. umm...that's all I have to say.

BenYossarian, you are asking for it. They only pay us like 10 or 15 dollars. Not much, and that is just suppose to cover expenses, etc. Quit making them feel like people pocket a lot of money.

I was waitlisted at UTSW and it was my first choice. Is it possible to find out where I rank on the waitlist? Would they tell me if I called? Do they waitlist everyone who interviewed but wasn't accepted?

Any information is much appeciated!

TexDoc05 said:
I was waitlisted at UTSW and it was my first choice. Is it possible to find out where I rank on the waitlist? Would they tell me if I called? Do they waitlist everyone who interviewed but wasn't accepted?

Any information is much appeciated!

Hopefully, someone else has more info for you. I only know that they will tell you which quarter your name is on the rank list. I'm not sure if this happens immediately or if they need time to organize the list. I don't think everyone gets waitlisted. I heard last year that you really need to be in the 1st quarter, but I don't know how many or anything. Good Luck!

Hi everyone - and CONGRATULATIONS!

I am thrilled to have matched here. I actually think it is going to take some time for it all to sink in. The wait for match day seemed to take forever - but what an ending! I look forward to meeting & getting to know you all.

Have you checked out the MS0 link on your UTSW status page? From the menu on the status page, click "Register for ms0 day", then you have to tell it yes you are attending and click submit. That opens a form for you to fill out regarding bringing guests, what events you are attending, etc. There is a small link at the bottom "PROGRAM DETAIL" - right above the options for Clinical Opportunities, Curriculum Structure, etc. Click that link and a full itinerary of MS0 day will open in a word document.

It looks like two full days of events. Topics include: what to do until school starts, financial aid, research opportunities, about the school, spouse information, where to live, bus tour of Dallas and places to live, party in the student center....and more. Friday & Sat, Feb. 25/26th.

I'm sure this will all be in the packet they send as well. I'm definitely attending - are you all?

Thanks for the info mwhou..I will definitely be attending...I totally understand where you are coming from.. I am stil lin shock that I got into med school much less UTSW.

Hey everyone, guess this is my home now! :-D I will definitely be going to MS0 day as well! Congrats to everyone, what a great night. Also, did any of you recieve the Scholarship? I can;t believe that on top of an acceptance they are offering a scholarship too! (It said in the email it is for 10% students, not need based)

Congrats to all. I look forward to meeting everyone at the MS0 day.

WOW! It's kind of fun cancelling my other interviews. This way I get to reject the schools!!!!

Is anyone bringing their significant other or parent's to MS0 day?

Alexander Pink said:
Hey everyone, guess this is my home now! :-D I will definitely be going to MS0 day as well! Congrats to everyone, what a great night. Also, did any of you recieve the Scholarship? I can;t believe that on top of an acceptance they are offering a scholarship too! (It said in the email it is for 10% students, not need based)

I got it, definitely comes as a shocker. Also does anyone go to undergrad out of state? I do and I can't make the MSO :(

What is the scholarship for again? Is it only for Texas residents or what? I am out of state and they promised me in-state tuition, so they better come through on that.

MikeyK said:
What is the scholarship for again? Is it only for Texas residents or what? I am out of state and they promised me in-state tuition, so they better come through on that.

I hear you on that one. I have been planning an ~8K a year, I will be might upset if that doesn't come to be.

MikeyK said:

I don't know about the out of state thing, but this particular scholarship (according to the email) is "based upon your significant accomplishments and upon the recommendation of the Southwestern Medical School Scholarship Committee."

meads said:
I don't know about the out of state thing, but this particular scholarship (according to the email) is "based upon your significant accomplishments and upon the recommendation of the Southwestern Medical School Scholarship Committee."

Congrats MEADS, so what's your story/stats/accomplishments? Why do you think they chose you?

JDAD said:
I hear you on that one. I have been planning an ~8K a year, I will be might upset if that doesn't come to be.

i've always heard the non-residents well pay the instate rate, so don't worry; I'm sure that will still work out.

The 10% sounds like something different. Is it a full scholarship, partial or what? Quite a nice deal either way. UTSW really seems to be a class act -I'm impressed again by the scholarships, the organized hosting, and the MS0 day planning!

btw - i like the new avatar JDAD, i need to get around to finding a new one myself.

JDAD said:
Congrats MEADS, so what's your story/stats/accomplishments? Why do you think they chose you?

thanks jdad. truth be told, I have no earthly idea how/why I got it. when i found out i matched at utsw, i figured that i must have been barely acceptable...at the very bottom of that acceptance list. if anything, i give all due credit to my awesome recommenders whose letters rocked. that, or the fact that i know someone on the board. ;) i'm j/k. :p

i'm sure pink and dcham have better stories. :)

meads said:
thanks jdad. truth be told, I have no earthly idea how/why I got it. when i found out i matched at utsw, i figured that i must have been barely acceptable...at the very bottom of that acceptance list. if anything, i give all due credit to my awesome recommenders whose letters rocked. that, or the fact that i know someone on the board. ;) i'm j/k. :p

NO, I pretty much was like you. And I agree with mwhou, UTSW has really won my heart. They are clearly a class act school that has it all together. They had the best structure interview day I attended, and really made you feel like they wanted you. The scholarship was an enormous shocker for me, and made me so happy. I am just in awe right now :D

meads said:

Are you technically out-of-state? I know that the out-of-state scholarships (just enough to get out-of-state tuition waived) go out with acceptances. I got mine in the official packet that comes a couple of days after the match. The phraseology sounds like what I got. I'm pretty sure that most of the other scholarships don't get announced until April/May when financial aid offers come through. I could be wrong, though. Either way, congrats.

By the way, what are the listing as the Saturday activities for M0 day?

Bad Mojo said:
Are you technically out-of-state? I know that the out-of-state scholarships (just enough to get out-of-state tuition waived) go out with acceptances. I got mine in the official packet that comes a couple of days after the match. The phraseology sounds like what I got. I'm pretty sure that most of the other scholarships don't get announced until April/May when financial aid offers come through. I could be wrong, though. Either way, congrats.

Sat's Schedule (day 2)
8:45 a.m. A Hearty BREAKFAST in the Faculty Club

A Panel discussion with current students and a resident

9:45 a.m. Break and relocate to room D1.700

10:00 a.m. VERY IMPORTANT STUFF ABOUT FINANCIAL AID

11:30 a.m. Lunch
Around the Fountain

12:15 p.m. BUSES LEAVE for tour of DALLAS...a few sites and sights especially some of the areas where our students live.

2:30 p.m.ish RETURN to the campus

2:30 p.m.ish Reception at Southwestern Park Apartments
Our apartments...to give you a chance to check them out.

Bad Mojo said:

No, it has nothing to do with being out of state. The scholarships are worth 7K a year, so it pretty much covers tuition!

I wish I had one.

Secondly, I am an out-of-stater and I am anxiously awaiting the packet to make sure that I will get the waiver to pay in-state tuition.

Congratulations everyone! I'm still an undergraduate (freshman) in Denton, TX. UTSW is the place I want to attend! I have heard many great things about the school, its faculty, etc. and it's a really nice campus, as well!

Just three and a half more years... ;)

Does anyone know anything about the summer research starting June 1st that is offered to incoming students. I believe that there are guarunteed opportunities for all incoming students. I am interested, but don't know how it is set up and how much it pays. Anyone know how much it has paid in the past?

diver said:
Does anyone know anything about the summer research starting June 1st that is offered to incoming students. I believe that there are guarunteed opportunities for all incoming students. I am interested, but don't know how it is set up and how much it pays. Anyone know how much it has paid in the past?

I think they will cover that at MS0 day (it's in the itinerary) and if you don't go they will send you all the information they hand out!

diver said:

Okay, nevermind I found it. In case anyone else is interested you get paid $3000 for 10 weeks (-1 week for vacation). There is more information below:

http://www8.utsouthwestern.edu/utsw/cda/dept25793/files/126610.html

Does anyone know if UTSW has wireless internet throughout. Mostly in the library/lecture halls? (it would be cool to have it in the carrels, but I know each one has a network connection)

JDAD said:
Does anyone know if UTSW has wireless internet throughout. Mostly in the library/lecture halls? (it would be cool to have it in the carrels, but I know each one has a network connection)

I asked about that at interview, they said that the library and rest areas/school should have wifi by next year!

Alexander Pink said:
I asked about that at interview, they said that the library and rest areas/school should have wifi by next year!

I hope so! Thanks for the info. Are you still considering Baylor?

JDAD said:
I hope so! Thanks for the info. Are you still considering Baylor?

I'm considering it, thought I haven't been accepted. The more I learn about UTSW, the more I start to like it though. It is actually turning out to be a much harder choice than I htought it would be, UTSW really does just rock!

Alexander Pink said:
I'm considering it, thought I haven't been accepted. The more I learn about UTSW, the more I start to like it though. It is actually turning out to be a much harder choice than I htought it would be, UTSW really does just rock!

I hope you get the opportunity to make that decision. I also heard the Baylor matches any scholarship money, so the UTSW scholarship would also transfer to Baylor if you get in there.

JDAD said:
I hope you get the opportunity to make that decision. I also heard the Baylor matches any scholarship money, so the UTSW scholarship would also transfer to Baylor if you get in there.

Thanks! :thumbup: Are you for sure going to SW?

Alexander Pink said:
Thanks! :thumbup: Are you for sure going to SW?

Yeah, I just withdrew from my other schools. You can check my MDapplicants if you want. UTSW was my number one choice. I would choose UTSW over Haaaaarvard/hopkins/upenn/baylor any day.

So how are we going to know who everybody is on MS0 day? I would like to finally put a name to a face for most of you. dcham I'm sorry to hear that you aren't going to make it..you will be missed.