UTSW VS MCGOVERN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

burrito_warrior

Reaction score
I am having a hard time deciding where to go. I pre-matched at both and am from Houston, and think I would be happy here and not have a problem adjusting.

However, UTSW was very impressive during interview weekend and obviously, the reputation has its appeal. I have heard that UTSW is toxic but have also heard it is not like that anymore. I have only heard McGovern is super chill.

What do y'all think?

Members don't see this ad.

Your first concern should be your happiness-if you aren’t happy at a med school, it makes success much, much harder.

I have a few contacts at both schools and honestly I don’t think there is a huge difference btwn either school’s vibe - large class size full of texas residents who are of course very gifted and motivated. Id recommend talking to many students at both schools who are not involved with admissions, and also to go to 2nd looks to see where you would be happiest.

If you think you’d be equally happy and able to thrive at either school, go to UTSW with no hesitation. Far stronger national reputation (no disrespect to mcgovern, still a great school) with elite specialties in several areas such as derm. Can certainly help come match day. But if you think you’d be happier at mcgovern and think you’d have regrets turning it down, go there. Doing well there can still get you to wherever you want to go career wise.

Reactions: 1 users
Four years ago, I made the decision to go to a lower-ranked school vs. an Ivy for the "feels" and money...and I honestly low-key always had that nagging feeling of "what-if."

So, today, I am a strong believer in seizing the best opportunities that arise (unless there is some horrible horrible horrible factor at the better institution). UTSW is hands-down a better school, the national recognition and reputation make it a top-tier medical school. This will be important come match time and possibly with research opportunities also (although UT-H is also strong in that regard). Medical school classes are honestly large enough that you can find your niche of friends no matter where you are. I have several friends at UTSW and they love it, I do believe the days of "cutthroat UTSW" are gone. I would jump on the Southwestern train and not look back. Also, a change of environment can be real nice, expand your perspectives and just mix it up a little. I mean, both are massive metropolitan cities, so you aren't losing anything (except 110 degree, 100% humidity summers :laugh:).

That being said...this is just my opinion. You should go where you want! I understand that being happy is important, I just think that you can find wonderful people who make you happy just about anywhere you go.

Congrats on both these phenomenal choices! I did not even get interviews from either of them hahaha!

Reactions: 1 users