UTSW vs UTMB vs Emory vs U of WA Seattle vs Wake Forest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jadealer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could give some of their insight into these programs... which I have narrowed down as my top five choices... I also interviewed at some great places such as northwestern, U of Chicago, and UPenn but feel these are lower on my list due to location concerns. I have 3 large dogs (a 60 lbs pitt/boxer mix, 60 lbs German Shepherd Mix, and a 40 lbs mutt) plus 4 cats... and the biggest hang up.. a horse who has been residing patiently at my parents farm while I finish medical school but I really want to take with me to residency.

My concerns:

1) Is UTSW as malignant as its reputation had it be? When I was there, the residents seemed very happy but its so hard to tell.

2) I know UTMB used to be considered the best in Texas prior to Hurricane Ike and took a big hit from that disaster - The program seemed like it still had a strong reputation for training good clinicians though and good fellowship and private practice opportunities. Can anyone from texas comment on its reputation in central for securing fellowships/jobs?

3) Second big hang up, my significant other wants to be closer to a larger city than what Wake Forest offers - but I know that WF is a very well respected anesthesiology program - How do UTSW, UTMB, and Emory compare quality wise?

4) Anyone from the Seattle area know if it would even be possible to keep a horse outside the city limits??

Any insight into these questions would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Seattle representative here. Cost of living is high enough as it is, keeping a horse outside the city would be an hour drive and a carriage load of money.

I interviewed at all those programs and chose to come to Wake Forest. The only one that might be comparable academically would be UofW. UTSW would also be high on that list.

I'll make this simple for you. You tell your SO that she can either have you sit in a car for 7-12 days out of the year commuting in Houston (ain't no way you're getting a horse on Galveston Island), or Dallas, or Atlanta, or you could go to Wake Forest and live very comfortably on plenty of acreage, an easy/relaxed 15 minute drive from the hospital, and within easy commute to Charlotte (1.5 hour) or Greensboro (30 minutes). It's not like these are tiny country towns either. Greensboro is currently hosting the National Figure Skating Championships.

There's no place in the country where you will be able to get (inexpensive) ranch acreage within an easy 15 minute commute from the hospital. And in residency, time is at a high premium. At the end of residency, you will have the kind of training that will open doors all over the country and you could settle in Dallas or Seattle (or you might like North Carolina so much that you stay). My wife was also concerned about living in a smaller city with somewhat fewer perceived resources (we were looking at Dallas, Seattle, Pittsburgh, St. Louis, B-Ham, Boston), but after some time here in W-S she (and I) can't imagine being anywhere else.

Members don't see this ad :)
Please see my post from other thread..I interviewed at UW and Virginia Mason (both fantastic programs) but hated Seattle for the reasons that have been listed above : Expensive, Cloudy and Rainy and Cold, and too liberal..

I trained at UTSW but interviewed at Yale and UPMC. If I had to rank the 3 programs I would rank UPMC, UTSW and then Yale. With that being said, UTSW is still on the higher end of the maligant spectrum. Its reputation comes from its vicious Surgical Residency but that culture has spread to Internal Medicine and Anesthesia.

AT UTSW, about half the faculty are younger (most under 10 years out) but there are group of older attendings who have been there since the beginning of time and think their way is the only way. They have no hesitations to trash residents behind their backs (I'm sure this happens everywhere but at UTSW it was everywhere). Many times, I would be in the ready room at Parkland Hospital or Zale Lipshy and my attendings would discuss residents in front of other anesthesia residents, attending surgeons and surgery residents. The sad part is, when the resident who was being mocked and ridiculed would come into the room on break, the attendings acted like nothing happened and would even go out of their way to tell them "great job, take a break etc." I blame this on the culture of the entire medical campus that takes pride in kicking out the "weak".

With that being said, these terrible types of attendings are out-numbered by great teachers that I had during my training. Guys who realized how absurd the culture was and just encouraged me to stay under the radar and to do well. Attendings who had the courage to defend residents who were unfairly admonished at cinical competency meetings.

The program is huge (20+ residents a year) but I saw that as a plus. As with any program there are residents who are favorites and those who are picked on. I was lucky to be in the middle and glided by. But I did know of a junior resident who was fired recently for reasons that I thought were unjust. And I have heard through the grapevine that there are a couple of other residents who are headed towards that path.

I very much enjoyed my training and glad I got my fellowship of choice but I needed to put this out there. Our clinical experience was excellent and i was very happy with the didactics (just enough but not overbearing). Also plenty of Mock Orals. If you work hard, don't complain, and make sure you have good in training scores you should be fine. As most would agree, the first 6 months of CA-1 year are key. Come in with a hot ITE and do well and you are set for 3 years. If you don't do well, then this program will eat you alive.

Reactions: 1 user
Couldn't agree more with NicMan. I went to medical school at Wake. So, I knew what I was getting, but am sure glad I stayed. Only top 10-15 program in the country where you can have this kind of quality of life during residency and have clinical training that is comparable to any of the best programs in the country. I would take our residents to just about any clinically...all the while being able to afford a decent house and have the free time to actually be able to study, attend didactics, and have a life outside the hospital.

Choose Wake and don't look back. Have friends that have graduated from this program and gone to all parts of the country (including west coast, mid west, and yes, even alaska).

And, my wife and I love Winston so much we plan on staying in the area following residency/fellowship. Its a great town with plenty to do unless you are looking for a wild night life... not the best for that.

Wake forest >>>

I liked UW but cost of living was insane, resident seemed over worked but everyone was like, "the UW name will carry you!"

NC cost of living and training hands down you cant beat.

Reactions: 1 user
These guys are right if you really want to bring a horse lol it's WAKE or bust.

I would probably say Emory gives you the best of everything. It's academically accomplished and you will come out having done fellow-level cases. Atlanta is also the best city hands down out of the places you mentioned. And you can easily have dogs there. It's a big city but can be a small town if you want it to be.

Wake Forest seems like an awesome program. Where have Wake grads gone for fellowships in the last few years?
Ones i can think of off top of my head in past few years, including current graduating class (certainly doesn't include everyone):
Combined CT/ICU at wash u.
CT at Wake x 3
CT at Cleveland Clinic x 2
Regional at Wake x 2
Peds at Denver children's x 2
Peds at Cinci children's
Pain at Wake
Icu at Beth Israel
Peds at Boston children's
CT at Duke
Peds at children's of LA
Some straight into PP or general academics (maybe 30 to 40%)

There are a bunch I am forgetting but this is what I can think of currently.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk