Utterly shocked and confused

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kairos93

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:

Last edited:
Well, since you "can't" apply DO, and you "can't" take another gap year, you may as well go ahead and apply and know that there is a very good chance you will be a re-applicant next year.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
What are your legit reasons for not be able to apply DO?

I'm just a premed, but based on this post, I think you take the MCAT again.

Reactions: 2 users
What are your legit reasons for not be able to apply DO?

I'm just a premed, but based on this post, I think you take the MCAT again.

I can PM you? And yes, I know I need to retake the MCAT. I want to take it this cycle and am looking for specific advice on that considering my situation and the possibility that this recent MCAT score (esp in CARS) could have been a fluke based on the above.

Difficult situation, sorry to hear OP. Even if you retake the MCAT in August and submit your AMCAS next week, schools are not obligated to wait for your second score to come in your verified AMCAS. So you are risking being evaluated based only on your first score regardless of your retake score. You also need to ensure that you make a significant improvement on the retake (so aim for 510+), but realize that schools may average all scores.

Consider applying to DO this cycle if you cannot afford to take another year off. This is a dilemma and based on your situation, you cannot choose to get away with not applying to DO AND not preparing to reapply/having plan B etc.

Well, since you "can't" apply DO, and you "can't" take another gap year, you may as well go ahead and apply and know that there is a very good chance you will be a re-applicant next year.

There's no reason to use quotations...I really can't. I believe my situation warrants an MD; I'm not saying this out of arrogance, it is the way it is. I'd like to know if there is any chance for me to get an MD acceptance anywhere in the USA as an ORM, 3.8 GPA, good ECs candidate who retook the MCAT in August for a higher score and was complete in mid-September.

If you had technical issues when taking the test, you should have voided your exam and told them right there at the testing center. Too late for that now. What's done is done.

If you are convinced you absolutely can't apply DO and can't wait another year. Then go ahead and retake the MCAT in August and pray to God you do a lot better. Being complete in mid Sept is not good by any means, but according to your "I can't's" then you have no choice. Not sure what else you want to hear, there's no way to know for sure if a school will offer you a spot or not.

Reactions: 6 users
I can PM you? And yes, I know I need to retake the MCAT. I want to take it this cycle and am looking for specific advice on that considering my situation and the possibility that this recent MCAT score (esp in CARS) could have been a fluke based on the above.

Sure, PM me.

If you plan to retake in August just apply to a throwaway school until you get your score so other schools don't judge only on your first MCAT.

Difficult situation, sorry to hear OP. Even if you retake the MCAT in August and submit your AMCAS next week, schools are not obligated to wait for your second score to come in your verified AMCAS. So you are risking being evaluated based only on your first score regardless of your retake score. You also need to ensure that you make a significant improvement on the retake (so aim for 510+), but realize that schools may average all scores.

Consider applying to DO this cycle if you cannot afford to take another year off. This is a dilemma and based on your situation, you cannot choose to get away with not applying to DO AND not preparing to reapply/having plan B etc.

I will only submit to one throwaway school, I will not add the rest on my AMCAS until the second score comes in, but I will prewire all secondaries from August 11 to Sept 11 until the score comes in. I expect to do better considering my practice test scores were much higher. If, for some curse, I only do slightly better, then I will not apply. But it seems like such a shame to waste the whole year when my June 1st test could have been a fluke or did not showcase my abilities. And dw, I have tons to do this year so in the unfortunate situation I would need to reapply, I'd be prepared.

as long as your ECs are decent, and your science GPA is on par with your cGPA, apply to mostly low tier MD and a few mid tier.
your mcat is on the low side but its not impossible especially if the retake is good.
There's no reason to use quotations...I really can't. I believe my situation warrants an MD; I'm not saying this out of arrogance, it is the way it is. I'd like to know if there is any chance for me to get an MD acceptance anywhere in the USA as an ORM, 3.8 GPA, good ECs candidate who retook the MCAT in August for a higher score and was complete in mid-September.

Reactions: 1 user

@kairos93
You can ensure they wait for your new MCAT to evaluate you by simply submitting your AMCAS with only one throw away school and then add the schools you'd like to go to once your scores have come in. This way your primary will get verified and the limiting factor re: time will be your MCAT scores

EDIT: I see you've beat me to the punch with your message

Members don't see this ad :)

Well, you seem to know what you want. We wish you well but strongly suspect you may come up empty.

Reactions: 12 users
I will only submit to one throwaway school, I will not add the rest on my AMCAS until the second score comes in, but I will prewire all secondaries from August 11 to Sept 11 until the score comes in. I expect to do better considering my practice test scores were much higher. If, for some curse, I only do slightly better, then I will not apply. But it seems like such a shame to waste the whole year when my June 1st test could have been a fluke or did not showcase my abilities. And dw, I have tons to do this year so in the unfortunate situation I would need to reapply, I'd be prepared.

The problem with this is that you are risking being late for all schools by being complete in September/October. It is possible to be successful despite late application provided your second score is very strong and you have a very compelling application. You need to show the 503 is a fluke and getting something like a 515+ will help.

@kairos93
You can ensure they wait for your new MCAT to evaluate you by simply submitting your AMCAS with only one throw away school and then add the schools you'd like to go to once your scores have come in. This way your primary will get verified and the limiting factor re: time will be your MCAT scores

EDIT: I see you've beat me to the punch with your message

This only makes the situation more difficult.

Reactions: 1 users
I have a reason for that as well. I'm sorry, I know it all seems like excuses but it's really not. As hard as it is to believe, I simply feel that I get tossed the unlucky things at unlucky times. I couldn't void the exam, as I already voided it back in May (technical issue as well believe it or not). I got my money for that exam and AMCAS scheduled me for June 1st. I lost 5 minutes but at least my test didn't shut down like last time (I have a letter for that as well from AAMC). Because of this, I only had 2 attempts left and didn't want to void and waste that attempt this year. I honestly didn't think I would get a 123...yes, I guessed on the last passage, but everything else on CARS I felt was easy. On the practice tests, I tended to guess on the last passage as well esp on AAMC FL1 since I ran out of time there too. But I always managed 127). I think my downfall here was the curve, since everyone else thought it was easy too.

I know being complete in Sept is not good. I'm wondering if I can at least net Its and maybe a late acceptance considering I score 510+ on my test. I wanted to hear from others who may have faced a similar experience of being late.

The people who got accepted despite being late had an application that's compelling enough to attract adcom attention and did well in the interviews to bump into accept stage. It's possible to get accepted with a late application but it depends on a lot of things that are specific to an application, and most importantly, it depends on the MCAT score.

Last edited:
Your score is circling the drain for MD schools. If you want to apply, I see only these as where you have a shot, if that.

Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)
Loyola
VCU
Oakland U Beaumont
WVU
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Your state school(s).

You fine for any DO school. I can't recommend Touro-NY, LUCOM or Wm Carey, for different reasons. PM if you wish to explain. I'm interested in your reasons as well.

I suggest an MCAT retake since you're boning for the MD. Retake only when 100% ready. August is not too late for a retake. If you skip a cycle, that's OK. Med schools aren't going anywhere.

Okay, now that the tears have subsided, I'm writing to ask for some help. First off, I'm not a troll (I created this account today just to ask this question but I've been on SDN and Reddit many times). I read a lot of the threads, but sadly I couldn't find an answer to my situation and I am not sure if there will even be one :(

I got my MCAT scores back and scored a 503. I don't know what happened...I used to think people were lying when they said this, but now I get what they mean. I scored 7-10 points below my AAMC FLs.

First off, I did fairly well on AAMC stuff (510 FL 1, 511 FL 2, 516 Sample Exam, 84% P/S Section Bank, 78% B/B Section Bank, 76% CARS Q-pack 1, 80% CARS Q-pack 2, 90% Physics Q-pack, 80% GChem. Q-pack, 84% B/B Q-pack 1, 87% B/B Q-pack 2).

I was shooting for at least a 508, but I ended up getting a 127 C/P, 123 CARS, 126 B/B and 127 P/S.
I have never reached a 123 on CARS ever (my lowest practice score was always a 126, and I usually got 127-128 on CARS...my sample test CARS score was even a 96%).

I'm not going to whine anymore about how terrible this is...we can all see that right here. I am worried about what happens next. Here is a little about my situation:

I want to apply this cycle and am aiming for any MD school (there are legit reasons why I can't apply DO; I can PM in case you need to know, but right now MD is the goal). I am ORM and from VA. I have a 3.8 GPA and pretty good ECs with above average hours. Please let me know and I can list them if it will help; I just didn't want to make this thread even longer if it isn't needed.

I have taken 3 gap years...I really cannot take any more (also for reasons I can PM). My AMCAS is ready to submit next week, and I have everything else in (LORs, transcripts).

I'm not understanding why you say you "can't" go DO and "can't" take (another?) gap year. Yes, the quotes are mine because I believe those are self-imposed limitations; PM reasons if you wish. What is your plan if you do not get any acceptances this cycle by applying MD only?

Reactions: 3 users
Approximately 60% of applicants do not get in anywhere. What makes you think that you will be in the lucky 40%? I don't see you in the top 40% of ORM applicants from Virginia.

Retake the MCAT and let us know how you do. We only know what we see and we don't see your practice tests. I like to say "do it right, do it once." You are already taking the MCAT twice, why compound it by applying twice, too. It is an expensive, time consuming and disheartening process. Better to skip a cycle than to apply, be empty handed this time next year and have to face doing it again and showing how your application has improved from the prior cycle.

Reactions: 7 users
I don't think I'm alone in saying you seem a bit entitled. As if you deserve everything, and things that haven't gone your way are the universe punishing you. Go DO. Let go of this whole, "I cant" go DO thing, because you "believe your situation warrants MD" (when facts state otherwise). You'll be happier.

Reactions: 10 users
Is this like a hostage situation or something?

I don't think I'm alone in saying you seem a bit entitled. As if you deserve everything, and things that haven't gone your way are the universe punishing you. Go DO. Let go of this whole, "I cant" go DO thing, because you "believe your situation warrants MD" (when facts state otherwise). You'll be happier.

I'm guessing he's asian and his parents won't help pay for anything but an MD. Which is a fair enough reason I guess (since they only want him to get it for the 2 letters it adds to his name, and its not "DO").

Reactions: 8 users
Would that not be compelling enough to get an acceptance at my in-state school or other low-tier MDs? I thought @gonnif said being complete by labor day was early and being complete by Sept 30 is on time for most programs. Why would I be a lost cause?

@LizzyM and @Lawper please don't see this as a defensive reaction against you..I genuinely want to know. Your posts made it seem like I'd have no chance whatsoever applying this cycle so I wanted to elaborate on my profile and understand your reasons why.

Maybe. Assuming your MCAT score does turn out well. If the schools are averaging all schools in their evaluation (and I have no clue which school does it since evaluation methods aren't revealed publicly, and what's reported on the website aren't necessarily what schools follow to evaluate applications), you are essentially looking at a 515+ retake for the average score = 509. Maybe your essays will help you net interviews and an acceptance for this cycle, but there are no guarantees.

This is tough, OP. Sorry you're going theories this. Can you PM me details of why DO school isn't an option? I had a friend who went through a similar situation.

Carribean will get you a MD

Pulling for you OP. I'm curious to hear your reasoning as well.

The exact same thing happened to me. I was scoring around 507, but my CARS score for this section dropped.
127/121/127/127 (502)

No idea what happened, considering retaking in the Spring...

Ridiculous section anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You believe that 503 is not a true representation of you- so study hard from now until late July/early Aug and re-take. Submit to one school to get verified, and add schools once your score comes back in Sept. Get ready to grind through secondaries and it can happen.

Last spring I had a family member get sick so I delayed my MCAT until August, but submitted my app early using the strategy above. I scored well and did a bunch of secondaries in 2 weeks. I had 9 II and multiple acceptances. I wouldn't recommend this if you had another option, but I think it's better than applying with your score.

Hey I'm sorry about your situation. I'm curious what your situation is and why you can't apply DO. Could you PM me?

Last edited:
Now, for the question: I obviously need to retake, but I would like to retake this cycle because I feel my test score is not representative of my ability (esp CARS!!!). During my CARS section, I lost 5 minutes of testing time because of a technical issue. It also froze during B/B, but I didn't lose much time there. I reported to AAMC and they have sent me a letter documenting my concern...I can send this to medical schools. However, AAMC was not able to confirm the issue and state in the letter that they were unable to confirm my claims. It happened, but I don't know how medical schools will consider this letter since AAMC acknowledges it but doesn't exactly confirm it in the letter.

This situation caused me to rush through the last two passages (I had to guess entirely on the last). At that time, I didn't think it would affect me much in CARS because everything else seemed easy enough. But I guess it was so easy that it had a bad curve and that hit me hard.

Now, taking this into account, I feel I can get my practice score of 127 if I retake. I know SDN wisdom says not to retake in the same cycle, but what about in a case like this? Right now, I am thinking to retake Aug 11th, prewrite secondaries and be complete mid-Sept. I am expecting to improve based on the details I provided above.

It is late, I know, but is it so late that I cannot get a single MD II anywhere at a low tier school?
I am aiming for ANY MD school. Even if I get IIs in Nov, Jan etc. I feel I can be competitive for my state schools (VCU, EVMS) if I retake to get a 511+ like I did on the FLs.

So there it is. Up till now, everything terrible that could happen in terms of med school admissions has happened. I know I can become a fantastic physician...but this is really disheartening. Looks like someone up there hates me :(

Would be extremely grateful for your advice. Thank you for listening.
Your next gap year could be one in which you work to earn money and do some intensive prep for another MCAT. You will have a much better chance doing that than sending in a very late application this year with a rushed MCAT retake.

I also scored 5-6 points below my FLs. I got a 512 though so no retake here, but I had a technical issue (45 minute internet loss, loss of ~ 10 mins exam time). They either told me to void or you're SOL. I'm sorry to hear this happened to you OP, but like everyone said retake is your best option. Just thought I'd chime in my $0.02 on the technical issue.

I scored far below on my real one than on my practice ones. It was all because I reverted to bad habits on cars and went from 128-130 to a 125. It happens. If you don't want to go DO, don't apply this cycle because you are going to be thinking about this the rest of your life. DO is a great option but if it isn't for you, fine just retake the test.

You have admissions personnel and experts telling you it's bad idea to apply this cycle. If I was in admissions, I wouldn't be interested in your application unless it was stellar and your MCAT retake was a 520+ or something. With a 510-515 retake in August, you'll be an average applicant applying on the later side. And nobody is interested in why you scored a 503 and decided to apply MD anyway; if you have to reapply, that will be two strikes against you. Having to retake the MCAT shows bad judgment (you didn't postpone, or void), and having to reapply shows worse judgment. Right now, your situation can be fixed; you can take your time and really study and get a good score. But if you insist on applying MD only with a throwaway school and a rushed retake, it's a huge gamble that's extremely likely to leave you in a worse position than you are in right now.

Because you will be complete with your first MCAT. my rule of thumb for what is a reasonable complete date does not include a rushed unplanned retake while the application cycle is going on, something I rarely advise to do. you also say you took 3 gap years and cant take anymore. Why werent you prepared for MCAT durung that time is another question. so is your goal to be a physician or to simply to apply on a predetermined schedule, even if that means you have lesser chances to gain acceptance? What are planning to do if you dont get in? Wouldnt a wiser course of action is to apply when you are in the strongest position? Frankly your course of action is seemingly between becoming a doctor or being an idiot

Thank you for your post. I'd just like to clarify a few things. One is that I would not be complete with my first MCAT because I wouldn't submit to all schools with that score...I'd only add schools once the second score came in and only if the second score was better. So I'd be complete with a better retake, which schools would see when they evaluate my app. Second, I was prepared for the MCAT (this is not what I expected based on my practice test scores). Everyone says to trust the practice FLs, especially AAMC materials, and I did. I did better on the Section Banks than a lot of people on SDN and I heard those were the hardest MCAT Q's we would see. So, I didn't jump in and take the MCAT foolishly when I was not ready...I was ready. I honestly do feel CARS was an unfortunate fluke. My first CARS score ever before any practice was a 126 baseline and I consistently improved it to a 127-128 after that.

I'd say 9/10 cycles in your current situation you get rejected everywhere if you apply broadly. The caveat being your chances would be greater if you live in north dakota or new mexico, with some state school that really cares about in-state applicants. Not only because of your scores, but because you come off as immature in your writing (from my perspective). Your writing in your app probably has some of that bleeding through as well. I think these gap years have not helped you in maturing as they should have.

If these cycles dont go well, and you still refuse DO, then perhaps take five or ten more gap years doing a different career first so that you can grow up a bit. Perhaps then you will take responsibility and become more mature. I dont like future collegues of mine to have victim complexes who think they "get tossed the unlucky things at unlucky times." Things happen, yes, so if you come back and score 510 or something then I am happy for you. If you retake and take a 505 then you need to rethink your position and take responsibility.

I wish you best of luck if you do apply.

Reactions: 8 users
OP you do know schools will see both scores, right? And AMCAS recommends that schools average multiple MCAT scores. Many schools do average but even those that don't will see your first score. You have obviously made up your mind about everything and you have an answer for every piece of advice offered, so go ahead and apply and see what happens. Applying to Med school is always sort of a crap shoot anyway and you want to give yourself the best possible shot when you apply. You also really only want to apply once but do what you want and what you"believe your situation warrants". No applicant is guaranteed an acceptance even if you believe otherwise. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

You have admissions personnel and experts telling you it's bad idea to apply this cycle. If I was in admissions, I wouldn't be interested in your application unless it was stellar and your MCAT retake was a 520+ or something. With a 510-515 retake in August, you'll be an average applicant applying on the later side. And nobody is interested in why you scored a 503 and decided to apply MD anyway; if you have to reapply, that will be two strikes against you. Having to retake the MCAT shows bad judgment (you didn't postpone, or void), and having to reapply shows worse judgment. Right now, your situation can be fixed; you can take your time and really study and get a good score. But if you insist on applying MD only with a throwaway school and a rushed retake, it's a huge gamble that's extremely likely to leave you in a worse position than you are in right now.

Unless you go to a top school, a 520+ retake risks getting yield protected by low tiers because historical trends. A 515+ is the best target to aim for.

Unless you go to a top school, a 520+ retake risks getting yield protected by low tiers because historical trends. A 515+ is the best target to aim for.
Given his practice scores, I don't think either 520+ or 515+ is likely regardless, unless the OP actually listens to everyone's advice and doesn't rush the second attempt. But you're probably right- his best shot at getting in this cycle would be a moderately high second MCAT score.

I think it's interesting that people only have "legit reasons" why they "can't" apply to DO schools, but no one has ever said that they have legit reasons why they can't apply to MD schools. Realistically, if you have ever shadowed both an MD and a DO, the only place you can tell a difference is in a phone book.

Do you want to heal the sick or do you want more people to "ooh and awe" over the 8% of the alphabet attached to your last name?

You've received some pretty harsh judgment on this thread, but you've also crossed some pretty serious lines that are standard for those pursuing medicine for the (mostly) right reasons. A reflective gap year and a MCAT retake in 10 months may be better for more than just strengthening your app.

Reactions: 10 users
I think it's interesting that people only have "legit reasons" why they "can't" apply to DO schools, but no one has ever said that they have legit reasons why they can't apply to MD schools. Realistically, if you have ever shadowed both an MD and a DO, the only place you can tell a difference is in a phone book.

Do you want to heal the sick or do you want more people to "ooh and awe" over the 8% of the alphabet attached to your last name?

You've received some pretty harsh judgment on this thread, but you've also crossed some pretty serious lines that are standard for those pursuing medicine for the (mostly) right reasons. A reflective gap year and a MCAT retake in 10 months may be better for more than just strengthening your app.
The behavior over MD/DO always annoys me. The best physician I know (and my role model) is a DO. Funny enough, he said the worst fellow he ever dealt with was a MD from Harvard - says the guy was so research focused during med school that he was a terrible clinician. Didn't know what to do, too indecisive in emergency situations, etc. It really makes me look unfavorably on the OP that he/she would skip the programs that graduated the best physician I know.

Reactions: 2 users
OP, I understand your disappointment and frustration, and I'm sure that you're eager to begin your career and don't want to take another gap year. Unfortunately, the simple fact of the matter is that you won't get into an MD program with that score. You sound like you're in a good spot for DO this year, or you could apply to MD next year with a significantly better MCAT. Good luck!

You seemed like you were pretty convinced you would get a 510 the first time and didn't. You seem pretty convinced you will get a 510 this time without a lot of dedicated studying while being busy, and with low time. I don't know your situation, but it kinda seems like you aren't learning from your mistakes. Why are you so sure you'll get a score you previously failed to get?

Wait, I'm so curious what the reasons to not go DO are. OP, PM me?

The best Gastroenterologist where I did residency was a DO.
People in the real world don't care about the initials after your name. Do you do a good job, yes or no?

My MCAT was 2-3 points lower than I wanted for my state school, I applied DO, and got acceptances. I was going to grow up to be a doctor, huge sigh of relief. I later got into my public/state school that costed substantially less so I went with that.

But if you want to be a doctor, I don't see why you don't take DO seriously other than ignorant pre-med stigma.

I too am dying to know the reason DO I'd not an option. Other than that it seems the op is asking for validation of a plan they have already settled on and use of our future telling crystal balls. Sadly mine seems to be out of order.

Reactions: 4 users

Sorry to thread-jack, but I thought if you applied and checked that you were awaiting a new MCAT score on AMCAS most schools would wait til the new score posted to review your app? If I recall correctly that's how it worked when I applied 2 years ago.

I ask because I have a friend in a remarkably similar position, and I advised him to submit now and try to get complete even before the new score posted. That way when the score posts his app would already be complete without having to jump through any other hoops.

Was I wrong?

Let me set the stage for you. Your possibilities are:
1) re-take the MCAT this year and do well, apply somewhat late and get accepted.
2) re-take this year and not get accepted.
3) re-take this year and do poorly again.
4) re-take it next year and apply next year.

Obviously #1 would be the ideal outcome. But the odds are not in your favor. You already have one so-so MCAT, you will be under pressure by rushing to take a second, and you will be applying fairly late in the game. Schools will be just receiving your application when they have already sent out a good portion of their interview invites.

Even if you do fairly well on your re-take, you are faced with the possibility of #2. Then what? You will be a re-applicant at all the schools you applied to. So you will have to do something in the next year to improve your application to re-apply to them next year. Without significant improvements why would they consider you when they have already rejected you once?

So now we are at possibility #3...your 2nd rushed MCAT score is about the same or worse. Then what? You won't consider applying to a DO school, so do you re-take the MCAT a 3rd time?

Or...your last choice. Wait until next year for a re-take. Continue to pad your EC's in the next year. Take the MCAT early in the year, no later than May. Put in sufficient effort to score well, apply early. You will be a first time applicant at the schools you choose and will have an early application. Again, considering that only 40% of applicants even get in, there is no guarantee that you will be accepted even then. But your odds are much improved over a late rushed application this year.

You are confident in yourself that you will score better on a re-take, and you very well might. None of us (nor you) can possibly know what the outcome will be. But you are not putting yourself in your best position by applying late with a rushed re-take. It's your choice. Your future. I think everyone in this thread has offered you all the advice possible. Good luck to you on your decision and the eventual outcome.

Reactions: 4 users