UVa anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RKID

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody have anything to say about UVa?
I did not get a feel for the school during the interview
Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

I really loved UVa during my interview visit. Unfortunately, I did not meet many students (although the tour guides were great!) and I stayed overnight with a first year who was really nice and seemed happy there. I also really enjoyed the company of the students I interviewed with. I thought very highly of my two interviewers - one even took about half the interview to inspire me about the importance of always looking for opportunities for change in medicine, to always strive to improve patients' care. The location is gorgeous, and the hospital is great - and highly ranked. The school does not appear to encourage students into primary care, although they do have a really interesting sounding generalist scholars program (that includes a scholarship as well). Basically, I loved it there and I plan to return for a 2nd look weekend (if they have one?). I noticed a lot of UVa undergrads are interested in going there for medical school, which also seems like a good sign. And they have other fantastic grad schools in the area for students to hang out with. Plus weekly "grand rounds" at a local bar (Thursday nights, I think).

What do other people think?

As a UVA undergrad I can assure you that the reason so many undergrads go to the medical school is the fact that most are in state and you can't really beat it for the price. However, if you are out-of-state, I would not recommend going there unless you're a fan of going to class from 8-5 and studying an additional 6 hours a day. The curriculum really sucks and they work you like a dog, so you can forget enjoying the beautiful campus and surrounding mountains--and it is hot as hell in the summer. That said, you never know when you might run into Dave Matthews at a local bar, and when you do graduate you will definitely know your stuff.

Members don't see this ad :)
Man, sucks that Dave moved out West, eh? Guess he won't be tourin those UVa frats no more.
frown.gif

I want to correct something Faustus said - nowadays, UVa med students are no longer in class all day. Starting with this year's first year class, students have reduced hours similar to what you see at many other schools. So they are the "guinea pigs" but the new curriculum will have been tested out before we would enter school. Please let me know if I'm wrong on this one - but I'm pretty sure I'm not.

so i got accepted into UVA, and i'm trying to figure out the school too. it's obviously a great school, and seeing as it's in-state, the price is really hard to beat. but i really didn't meet any students while i was there. i don't want to be miserable for 4 years.....is that the impression you guys got? do they just work all the time? a balanced life is really important to me, from extracurriculars to a social life.....do you think that exists at UVA?

I could be wrong about the new curriculum, as all the med students I know are 2nd years and up, but I doubt the culture has changed at the school--and that is, and will forever be, very traditional. Which is not necessarily a bad thing, because it is a sure way to train competent and skilled physicians. I'm applying right now (currently waitlisted at UVA), but I definitely would not go there over any of the schools I'm already admitted to. Charlottesville is a great college town, but I really do think it would get to be pretty boring to a graduate student. There are only about 3 good bars and 1-2 good clubs, so the routine would get old in a hurry (undergrads have Rugby Road, which is hedonism at its best). But if you're into hiking and camping in the Blue Ridge mountains it might be a great fit.

If you are unsure of the students (I am too, since I did not meet many) and culture, why not go down to the 2nd look weekend. (Do they have one???) UVa seems to have a fantastic national reputation - every doctor I have mentioned it to has said it is a very strong school. I know a 4th year there who is VERY LAID BACK and chill - he seemed very happy.

Charlottesville's a great town, and I actually think it would be better in grad school than undergrad. There are plenty of bars and clubs, they just aren't all on "the Corner" which is the main UVA strip. The downtown mall is very nice and very chill, with good restaurants and music. The Corner is also nice if you want to revert back to undergrad days with plenty of smoke and no room to move. Plus, there are a couple of 24 hour joints there (Littlejohn's) which is very close to the med school and can be quite tasty at 3 am.

As a UVa fourth year undergrad, I can tell you this: UVa is great, the corner is fun, the Rotunda is the most beautiful thing I've seen, and the city of 'Harlottesville sucks. The townies are rude, ugly, and smell. The radio stations blow a fat one, and finally, everything shuts down at 10. Yes, the grocery store and Littlejohn's are 24 hours and very convenient, but everything else is closed before the night begins. Even the Walmart closes at night! How the hell do you close Walmart??? As for the med school, it's solid. The changes seem for the better, mostly on more patient interaction, of which there was none for the first 2 years. The professors are good, and research has been stepped up.

Stay away from the Edy's ice cream on tap - 22.5 hours a day at the hospital cafeteria! I musta gained 10 lbs there during my elective.