UVA or Cleveland Clinic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Plecopotamus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anybody familiar with both of these programs and willing to share any information that might help me decide which of the two to cancel and that's not obvious from the programs' websites? Obviously I know there's a big difference in weather, but I'm not that bothered by that.

Members don't see this ad.

I've actually got friends at both hospitals (not neuro) and one in neuro at CC. CC is OUTSTANDING..its the way medicine should be practiced. UVA is also a great place, not to take anything away from it, but it is nowhere near the same league. From what I understand they just got a new PD this year or last year so you have to consider that.

I'd say go to CC over UVA

I think it probably depends on what you're looking for. I haven't been to CC. I went to UVA this week and was pretty impressed. It was sort of similar to Vanderbilt in that education was genuinely a top priority for the faculty. To be honest, of the places I've visited so far UVA is a clear #1 in terms of prioritizing residents. Maybe if you're set on being a big deal academic neurologist CC would be a better interview to take, but if you're more focused on looking for a place where you can get great training and still be happy for your 4 years you might consider looking at UVA.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it probably depends on what you're looking for. I haven't been to CC. I went to UVA this week and was pretty impressed. It was sort of similar to Vanderbilt in that education was genuinely a top priority for the faculty. To be honest, of the places I've visited so far UVA is a clear #1 in terms of prioritizing residents. Maybe if you're set on being a big deal academic neurologist CC would be a better interview to take, but if you're more focused on looking for a place where you can get great training and still be happy for your 4 years you might consider looking at UVA.

You posted 1 day after I cancelled my interview!

Airlines decided for me. It just proved impossible to get from Ann Arbor to Charlottesville in the amount of time I had.
Thanks to both of you for your input.

Yeah, Charlottesville is pretty isolated. That's probably its biggest downside. If you liked UMich, though, you'd have liked UVa. Of all the interviews I've been on those two programs probably stand out as having the most enjoyable people and medical cultures. OTOH, I canceled CC pretty early as it became obvious from reading and talking to people that it wouldn't be an environment I would enjoy.