UVA pathology program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kaw

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in applying to UVA pathology. Any comments or feedback would be greatly appreciated? Would it be possible to just apply directly outside the match (I will be an American Medical Graduate).

Members don't see this ad.

If your plans are to apply outside the match you need to contact the program and ask them if this is possible. If you are graduating this year as an MD, they are likely to just tell you to apply with the rest of the crowd. And given that application deadlines are (I think) 11/1, you had best hurry.

Generally, the only candidates taken outside the match are those who are transferring from another residency, those with heavy research experience, or IMGs who have been doing clinical/research work in the US. Regular old US grads have to apply with everyone else.

Thus, you need to have a compelling reason why going outside the match is appropriate for you. Just wanting to go to a program isn't going to cut it.

yaah said:
If your plans are to apply outside the match you need to contact the program and ask them if this is possible. If you are graduating this year as an MD, they are likely to just tell you to apply with the rest of the crowd. And given that application deadlines are (I think) 11/1, you had best hurry.

Generally, the only candidates taken outside the match are those who are transferring from another residency, those with heavy research experience, or IMGs who have been doing clinical/research work in the US. Regular old US grads have to apply with everyone else.

Thus, you need to have a compelling reason why going outside the match is appropriate for you. Just wanting to go to a program isn't going to cut it.

I applied to Brigham&Womens, WashU, MGH and Stanford directly. I was a run-of-the-mill path applicant, nothing special IMO. Interviewed at all of them and received acceptances in late November. So its possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
LADoc00 said:
I applied to Brigham&Womens, WashU, MGH and Stanford directly. I was a run-of-the-mill path applicant, nothing special IMO. Interviewed at all of them and received acceptances in late November. So its possible.

Yeah but in the last couple of years things have changed - the rules for taking candidates outside the match are more stringent now. A standard US medical grad cannot, as far as I know, apply for a position out of the match unless you have a unique situation like being able to graduate earlier in the year (i.e. before may/june). It used to be possible, but no longer. I am not sure who is responsible, whether it is ERAS, or a consortium of the programs, or whatever. Path is also more competitive now and programs may prefer to use the match.

I might be mistaken, but I think this past year was the last time path programs could take people outside of the match.

edamame said:
I might be mistaken, but I think this past year was the last time path programs could take people outside of the match.

It likely depends on the institution. There's an MSTP student at my school who last time I talked to him, he was applying Path but his interests may have changed. His wife is a first year resident this year. If he applies Path, he would most likely do so outside of the match. So, in these kind of cases, I do believe that matching outside of the match is an option. Of course, one is less likely to succeed in using this option as some "early decision" option with frivolous underlying motives.

ok, so I got curious and googled a bit - here's what I came up with:

nothing definitive on the actual NRMP site, but a few links below...

http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/category/9781.html
and
from this link: http://www.cordem.org/news/2003/jan-feb/nrmpchanges.pdf
The NRMP Board of Directors, at its November 2001 meeting passed the following motion:
?Beginning with the 2004 Match, all sponsoring institutions participating in the
NRMP Main Match must register and attempt to fill all their positions in the Match
except for those specialties or programs participating in other national matching
programs.?
The 2004 start date was established to permit the NRMP to work with institutions, program director
organizations, and the OPDA to develop a process to carry out this new directive in a fair and reasoned
manner. The new rule addresses the present inequality in NRMP procedures from the perspective of those
who are in control of the selection ? institutions and programs. Beginning in 2004, institutions and
programs participating in the Match will not be permitted to fill any of their positions outside the Match,
e.g., have some positions in the Match and fill other positions outside the Match. Therefore, programs
will not be permitted to fill positions with independent applicants outside the Match.

I had heard during my interviews last year that the institution of that policy had been delayed at least another year, until 2005. Clearly, last year was the 2004 match, and many programs filled a lot of their spots outside the match. So reality and rumor do not match up here.

I talked to some of the residents here and they had good things to say UVA. I am looking forward to interviewing there.

The word i have heard is that it is a great program if you are interested in private... i heard it is not a research orientated program.

I've heard good things too. Mostly for community practice, not academic as said above. But, apparently they have a fairly recent chair from Case who is planning to move the department in a more research direction.

Does anyone know about the job market in Charlottesville for non-MDs (e.g. my wife)? She's in IT.

what is it? +pad+

UVA as in University of Virgina? Hello Stacey Mills, hello Wick. They are very much academic, a bigger player in my book than Duke. Kinda like a baby Hopkins in terms of Pathology. They do alot of basic sci as well as translational stuff. Alot.