UVA vs MCV/VCU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

varunner

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK guys, I know there are already a few threads on deciding whether or not to go to UVA or MCV, but most of these are old and I figured I'd pose the question again to a larger, more up-to-date crowd: what are the pros/cons of UVA vs MCV and what school would you prefer (especially if you are already at one of these schools and had to make this decision previously). I am in-state. Thanks everyone!!

Members don't see this ad.

I have the same question.

as far as rankings go, UVA is much higher ranked and probably harder to get into. Also I know someone at UVA and they really like it. Thats about all i know.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nationally, UVA is a little better known but honestly the rankings mean very little. It is harder to get into. The C-ville area is very, very beautiful and nice to live in. It is also pretty safe with little violent crime. I have heard that med students there are pretty happy too, albeit stressed out sometimes.

MCV/VCU is also well known medically, less so research wise (although a VCU professor recently won the chem nobel prize). Just because of the nature of Richmond and the populations that come to MCV I feel you will have a much more diverse clinical exposure at MCV especially dealing with trauma. But for the exact same reasons that make MCV trauma good, living in Richmond, around MCV is a con. In terms of the 'niceness of the cities' Richmond<<Charlottesville.

I know little about the UVA med curriculum so can't compare and contrast. I have yet to meet anyone unhappy w/ their experience at MCV.

I went to UVA undergrad and am now at MCV. I have a very large family history at MCV and am originally from Richmond so MCV was my number one choice, but I loved Ugrad at UVA.

I can tell you what I like about UVA. (I didn't interview at MCV, but i agree with the previous post that UVA has a better reputation.)

I like that the curriculum allows for at least 2-3 afternoons off each week. I think pass/fail will be much less stressful than letter grades. I think the clinical experience will be fantastic. I know some people don't like the idea of doing rotations away from Charlottesville, but I look at it as a way to experience more clincal settings, and I think it will help to give me a better idea of what type of environment I'm looking for when applying for residency. Plus, you get the combination of learning at an academic center, along with "away" rotations allow much more hands-on experience (at least that's what all the MS4s I talked to said). The biggest thing for me was that UVA was the one place that I left thinking "I REALLY want to go here." It's just a gut feeling. Everyone seemed ridiculously friendly and HAPPY. While I'm waiting to hear from one more school in March, I'm at least 75% sure that I'll end up at UVA, as long as the financial aid works out (I'm OOS).

Plus, the area around Charlottesville is beautiful. All the outdoor activities that are available is another huge draw...I'm sick of living in an expensive, dirty city.

That's just my rambling opinion anyway.

I am an UVA Medical Graduate so I can give my opinons on UVA. It is a outstanding medical school and I have no regrats after spending my 4 years there. There is alot of things that I like about the school and if you just search my previous posts, I have listed them. I think coming out of UVA, you are able to match into any speciality that you want.... minus the more competitive ones like Derm, Ortho, PLastics, and ENT, but if you want to do IM, Ped, Family, EM, etc, you will have your pick. My class did very well for Ortho, ENT, and Platics (these specialities still require you to do very well in med school and on the boards, b/c the rep of the med school can only carry you so far).... C'ville is a beautiful area, lots of outdoors activity, people are very happy there, the admin listens to us and make changes every yr to better the classes, lots of place to dine. If you were accepted at UVA and MCV, I think it would be very hard to turn down UVA unless you have a full ride at MCV, then that might change things a little. I was accepted at a couple of Top ten medical schools and I was out of state for UVA, I decided on UVA because of the "feel" I had for the school, location, and people. Looking back now, I would not have changed a thing. The school is very progressive and I think there will be many changes in the future, in fact a 40 million medical education facility is going to start ground soon. You can't go wrong going to UVA medical school.

PM me if you have further questions. thanks.

I think the potential for 3rd and 4th year at MCV away at INOVA ffx is pretty cool (could live just outside dc) but I don't know how hard it is for MCV students to get into that program, last I heard only 40 or fewer students were at INOVA. I volunteer there and see their students, they don't look especially overworked or stressed. Students and residents from several different programs are there, I think it would be cool to talk to people from Gtown or GWU and see what they're up too.

I left Virginia to attend graduate school, and when I attempted to apply to MCV and UVA as a Virginia resident, here were the responses:

MCV: You were born in Virginia, raised in Virginia, went to college in Virginia, your parents have been here for 32 years, you only left to attend graduate school and you have never claimed state residency anywhere else. No problem.

UVA: Sure, we'll consider you a state resident... if you pay 5+ years of back state income tax.

Needless to say, I had a great time at MCV.

I was told from a MD/PhD who's been at both:

VCU - as a student you'll see more, you'll do much more hands on, you'll come out better prepared for practice; the residents actually depended on the med students help

UVA - strong in "theory" and academia, but much more limited in terms of clinical experience; felt the students came out knowing very little about actually practicing medicine

Flat out, UVA probably has the most recognizable name and rep, but it depends on which aspects you value most in your medical education

I've read that MCV tends to be "intense". Can any MCV students comment on this? Also, does anyone know how they choose who does INOVA? Thanks in advance:)

Can any other current med students at either UVA or VCU explain things that they like / dislike about their schools?

Several questions I have:

- What kinds of student research opportunities are available at VCU?

- Does either school have mp3 or video recordings of lectures online if you miss a lecture?

- In general for students at either school, what do you think are the strengths and weaknesses of your particular school? Anything you would change?

I was accepted by both of these medical schools and I am a resident of the Commonwealth of Virginia. I attended UVa for undergrad. For me, the biggest difference that mattered was the patient population.

University of Virginia is located in a small city (has more of a town-feel) with an underserved population (small percentage of their patient base) that includes Latino (migrant workers from the poultry industry in Rockingham Country) and African-American. There are excellent research opportunities with a thoroughly wired and modern university hospital. There are opportunities for rotation in Roanoke, Salem and Northern Virginia (during fourth year) as well. The VA in Salem is a clinical affiliate. Handouts, Powerpoints and other resources are available on-line. Charlottesville is a nice small city with loads of resources.

Virginia Commonweath University has a much larger underserved patient population that includes primarily African-Americans and caucasians. The hospital is affiliated with a very high functioning VA and there is a Northern Virginia division located at Inova Fairfax Hospital for people who wish to take advantage of this opportunity during third year.(Inova Fairfax Hospital has the highest dollars billed to dollars collected ratio in the US) The university hospital is wired and notes/Powerpoints are available on-line. Richmond is a large city with loads of southern charm. Richmond is the capital of the Commonwealth of Virginia and the medical campus is located practically across the street from the Capital grounds. Richmond is far more depressed (in some areas) than Charlottesville.

Housing was more expensive in Charlottesville but there is plenty around. The Aquatic Center is nice for working out and has great hours. Both universities have great sports teams with Virginia having more of an edge in terms of national reputation of their sports teams (basketball, football).

Both Richmond and Charlottesville are about 2 hours from Washington, DC. Charlottesville and Richmond are about an hour apart (down I-64).

There are many things to like about both schools and both are very strong state universities. I would probably give the edge to VCU in terms of breadth of patient pathology but the edge to UVa in terms of academic environment. Both schools have good research opportunities.

I was accepted by both of these medical schools and I am a resident of the Commonwealth of Virginia. I attended UVa for undergrad. For me, the biggest difference that mattered was the patient population.

University of Virginia is located in a small city (has more of a town-feel) with an underserved population (small percentage of their patient base) that includes Latino (migrant workers from the poultry industry in Rockingham Country) and African-American. There are excellent research opportunities with a thoroughly wired and modern university hospital. There are opportunities for rotation in Roanoke, Salem and Northern Virginia (during fourth year) as well. The VA in Salem is a clinical affiliate. Handouts, Powerpoints and other resources are available on-line. Charlottesville is a nice small city with loads of resources.

Virginia Commonweath University has a much larger underserved patient population that includes primarily African-Americans and caucasians. The hospital is affiliated with a very high functioning VA and there is a Northern Virginia division located at Inova Fairfax Hospital for people who wish to take advantage of this opportunity during third year.(Inova Fairfax Hospital has the highest dollars billed to dollars collected ratio in the US) The university hospital is wired and notes/Powerpoints are available on-line. Richmond is a large city with loads of southern charm. Richmond is the capital of the Commonwealth of Virginia and the medical campus is located practically across the street from the Capital grounds. Richmond is far more depressed (in some areas) than Charlottesville.

Housing was more expensive in Charlottesville but there is plenty around. The Aquatic Center is nice for working out and has great hours. Both universities have great sports teams with Virginia having more of an edge in terms of national reputation of their sports teams (basketball, football).

Both Richmond and Charlottesville are about 2 hours from Washington, DC. Charlottesville and Richmond are about an hour apart (down I-64).

There are many things to like about both schools and both are very strong state universities. I would probably give the edge to VCU in terms of breadth of patient pathology but the edge to UVa in terms of academic environment. Both schools have good research opportunities.

Thank you! Your comments are quite helpful.

I think the potential for 3rd and 4th year at MCV away at INOVA ffx is pretty cool (could live just outside dc) but I don't know how hard it is for MCV students to get into that program, last I heard only 40 or fewer students were at INOVA. I volunteer there and see their students, they don't look especially overworked or stressed. Students and residents from several different programs are there, I think it would be cool to talk to people from Gtown or GWU and see what they're up too.

Students from UVA, MCV, and Georgetown are regularly at INOVA Fairfax. I'm not as familiar with GW so I can't comment on that (but since we're debating UVA vs. MCV I guess it doesn't matter all that much). The team I shadowed in Peds had one student from each school, several residents, and an attending. It was pretty neat. But it is a good FYI that the opportunity exists at both schools.

I wonder if people who attended UVA for med got this same vibe I did...but here's my first impressions of both schools, from the grad fair at my undergrad: MCV had a table with lots of pictures, brochures, posters and had a Dean, an M1, and an MD/PhD student with them (all alumni of my undergrad). The Dean later emailed me to say hello and thank me for stopping by to talk with him. What did UVA have? A table with a banner saying "UVA School of Medicine" and a two page black and white brochure devoid of info. The Dean I spoke with didn't even know what percentage of students were from in-state. So....take that as you will.

Reactions: 1 user
What did UVA have? A table with a banner saying "UVA School of Medicine" and a two page black and white brochure devoid of info. The Dean I spoke with didn't even know what percentage of students were from in-state. So....take that as you will.

I hope you didn't choose your future based upon a brochure. :) There are a lot of other factors to consider...like the lunch they serve.