uva vs. pitt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

raincrew

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
trying to make this decision right now; any help would be appreciated! since i'm out of state for both, differences in cost is negligible. anyone have any insights into the pro/cons of attending either school? are there really any differences in reputation for the two? for getting into a competitive residency (i.e. ent, ortho), would either of the schools make a difference? thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

raincrew,

From the most superficial stanpoint, Pitt simply has the higher ranking than U.Va by about 9 spots and I don't really see that changing much in this year's rankings.

Pitt really does well in getting competitive specialties. It's ENT program is one of the best in the nation. Pitt has killer research opportunities which will always be helpful in landing a competitive residency. That said, the weather is better in U.Va.

tpf

Pitt Med Class of 2008

I think UVA has a good reputation in law and related field, but U Pitt is more well known for health sciences.

My dad's a physician outside the U.S., and when we were visiting Pittsburgh (My sister goes to Carnegie Mellon), he mentioned that he had come across the name U Pitt numerous times.

Also, overall, U Pitt's hospital seems to be well-rounded (US News' Honors Roll is basically a measure of how good hospitals are at a variety of specialties)

Members don't see this ad :)
I know both schools intimately. If you're out-of-state, it's UPitt hands down. In-state, you may need to think a bit more. Good luck with your decision.

Definitely Pitt. I've heard nothing but good things about this school. I'm kicking myself as to why I didn't apply there this year!

Good luck!

I'm struggling with the same decision (with Penn thrown into the mix too), and I think it's gonna be the money that wins this one. UVa is $35K for out-of-state tuition. I'm a PA resident, so Pitt's tuition is about $5K cheaper. I don't know if saving $5000/year is enough to seal my decision, but it looks like most people here would prefer Pitt either way...

doesn't uva give an automatic $15000 scholarship to out-of-states?

pg 16 of the financial aid info i was given at my interview. it's need-based. if you have demonstrated need, then uva will meet the need with up to $10,000 need-based scholarship for virginia residents and up to $15,000 for non-residents. up to $10,00 of remaining need can be met with institutional loans.

I think Pitt may be slightly better in academics, and has more opportunities for research. That being said, I would choose UVa, for reasons that may be completely different from what you look for.

I've lived in both cities, and I like C'ville better than the 'Burgh. They have completely different feels to them. Pgh has the Eastern city feel to it, but mellowed and the geography gives it a small town feel. C'ville is much more laid back, and the area is absolutely beautiful. Pitt doesn't really have the feeling of a college campus. It feels more like a collection of buildings, if that makes sense. UVa has great architecture and a definate campus feeling to it. Just my 2 cents.

Originally posted by heifer
pg 16 of the financial aid info i was given at my interview. it's need-based. if you have demonstrated need, then uva will meet the need with up to $10,000 need-based scholarship for virginia residents and up to $15,000 for non-residents. up to $10,00 of remaining need can be met with institutional loans.

Ah, but it's need-based...that's the problem. I can't demonstrate financial need, but I (and my parents) still don't want to pay $35K/year for 4 years. This is why I'm hanging on to the tiny spark of hope that I might get a merit scholarship from an in-state school (please, Pitt or Penn! please!!!). :D

bump. anyone else? i guess what i'm really interested in is whether or not the differences in reputation between the two is negligble.

Originally posted by heifer
doesn't uva give an automatic $15000 scholarship to out-of-states?

It depends. What is your EFC? If you have a low EFC there seem to be some good scholorships, unfortunately mine is $21,000 so I am going to have a lot of loans.

Originally posted by raincrew
bump. anyone else? i guess what i'm really interested in is whether or not the differences in reputation between the two is negligble.

I'd choose UVa over just about any other school. I just loved the area, and that was more important than reputation. I actually withdrew my name from consideration at WashU. (and will from Umich.) now that I am in at UVa. Who cares about reputation, will you enjoy your life there? That is what you should be asking yourself.

I might be a little biased here (cuz I chose Pitt) but I made the same choice last year and would make it again in a second. Here's why:
-if you are considering any surgical program (but especially ENT or Ortho) Pitt has top five programs which will give you exposure to some of the top people in these fields and would increase your ability to match into these programs at Pitt.
-Pitt doesn't farm you out for your 3rd and 4th year rotations. We currently have the largerst teaching hospital system in the country and as such, all rotations are in the Burgh unless you opt otherwise. I seem to remember that some of the third year rotations at UVA occur as far away as the eastern shore.
-Pittsburgh is actually a city. I really like Charlotesville but it is pretty small and the nearest city, Richmond is not really what I was into

all this being said. they are both really great schools and you can pretty much do whatever you want, wherever you want if you do well coming from these schools. good luck and congrats on the hard choice. there is no wrong answer.