UVM decisions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
does anybody get rejected post-interview without being placed on a waitlist?

Members don't see this ad.

I also got waitlisted, no email, just checked online.....i would also like to know if anyone got an acceptance today

Members don't see this ad :)
Mine said:

Out-of-Area waitlist of qualified/alternate candidates

Did anyone get a different waitlist message?

Mine said:

as far as i know there is only one waitlist - everyone gets the same message

so dont get too excited by the fact that they use words like "congratulations" and "qualified".... it's a nice way of saying "you're good, just not good enough"

lol.... think i'm a little bitter?

Mine said:

Well, I got the in-state waitlist message. I think they have one for in-state, one for out-of-state, and one for Maine applicants. As I'm sure you've heard on this thread, don't lose hope yet. Back in November, it seemed like most people got this message right away and some were accepted off the waitlist as soon as a week later. Others (such as myself) are still waiting.

There seems to be some movement before May, so hang in there.

So here's the next question, then: The waitlist page says the school will not reveal your position on the waitlist. But historically I've heard that Vermont ranks in thirds. Has anyone been able to find out their relative waitlist position yet, and if so, how did you go about it?

So here's the next question, then: The waitlist page says the school will not reveal your position on the waitlist. But historically I've heard that Vermont ranks in thirds. Has anyone been able to find out their relative waitlist position yet, and if so, how did you go about it?

They explicitly told us the day we interviewed that this year they will not be ranking the waitlist (they have had a ranked list in the past, however). So no, there is no way to find out where you are on it.

Okay, last question: Presuming the waitlist does move before May 15th, does that mean that I have to keep checking the OAC obsessively from now 'till then? Because I'm getting sick of typing my AMCAS number. Does UVM email you, or do they post it online, if the decision changes?

Okay, last question: Presuming the waitlist does move before May 15th, does that mean that I have to keep checking the OAC obsessively from now 'till then? Because I'm getting sick of typing my AMCAS number. Does UVM email you, or do they post it online, if the decision changes?

I believe you receive an email.

Accepted off the waitlist! Total time on waitlist < 24h. Bizarre. Good luck to those who were also waitlisted yesterday!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! You should post whether they sent you an email so meshuga knows and can stop manically checking their status page. ;)

Thanks. They notified me by email; my status page is also updated.

Congrats!!!

I wonder why they even put you on waitlist first place..
maybe they just put everyone on the waitlist?? anyway, it sure gives me a hope..thank you~~

When I checked today I found that I'm on the Vermont waitlist. Honestly, I was really surprised, being in state and having what I felt was an excellent interview. I'm very discouraged by this...

Congrats! You should post whether they sent you an email so meshuga knows and can stop manically checking their status page. ;)

I was sent an email when I was accepted off the waitlist in November.

When I checked today I found that I'm on the Vermont waitlist. Honestly, I was really surprised, being in state and having what I felt was an excellent interview. I'm very discouraged by this...

With those stats, I don't think you'll have a problem getting in. They are known to keep good candidates on the waitlist for short periods of time for some unknown reason. With my mediocre in-state stats, I might be waiting a bit longer.

On the other hand, if you remain on the waitlist, it might give evidence to my current theory that in-state candidates might get grouped together and evaluated at a later date. I remember hearing that last year they did that with Maine residents, because they have a certain number of seats set aside for those groups.

As a fellow Vermonter, I wish you well.

With those stats, I don't think you'll have a problem getting in. They are known to keep good candidates on the waitlist for short periods of time for some unknown reason. With my mediocre in-state stats, I might be waiting a bit longer.

On the other hand, if you remain on the waitlist, it might give evidence to my current theory that in-state candidates might get grouped together and evaluated at a later date. I remember hearing that last year they did that with Maine residents, because they have a certain number of seats set aside for those groups.

As a fellow Vermonter, I wish you well.

Thanks for the positive thoughts. I hope that if I do get in, it will be in a class with kind people such as yourself.

I've seen a number of people commenting that they waitlist briefly and then accept off that sometimes... if that is so, what a horrible system! And the language they use on the waitlist too, "pleased to inform" etc.

Anyways, I hope you meet with success Womialas.

Thanks for the positive thoughts. I hope that if I do get in, it will be in a class with kind people such as yourself.

I've seen a number of people commenting that they waitlist briefly and then accept off that sometimes... if that is so, what a horrible system! And the language they use on the waitlist too, "pleased to inform" etc.

Anyways, I hope you meet with success Womialas.

I also believe you will get in. Another possibility for why you were put on hold rather than accepted right off the bat might be that your stats are so high. I know that UVM really just wants to accept people that really want to be there. Perhaps they figured that you would be going elsewhere (nice Harvard invite, btw). I firmly believe that with your stats and your instate status, if you did have good interviews, a letter of interest at this point would cinch the deal.

I know on my interview day they stressed that the vast majority of OOS interviewees would be put on waitlist, and that rather than ranking the waitlist and letting people in according to their ranking, this year they're going to do away with the ranking system and just admit people based on how interested they seem. While you're instate and not OOS, I still think that may shed some light on their style of thinking, and may be part of why you've been waitlisted. Mayhap you didn't seem enthusiastic about UVM on your interview day and they figured they were a safety? Anyway, good luck fellow phoenix! :luck:

I also believe you will get in. Another possibility for why you were put on hold rather than accepted right off the bat might be that your stats are so high. I know that UVM really just wants to accept people that really want to be there. Perhaps they figured that you would be going elsewhere (nice Harvard invite, btw). I firmly believe that with your stats and your instate status, if you did have good interviews, a letter of interest at this point would cinch the deal.

I know on my interview day they stressed that the vast majority of OOS interviewees would be put on waitlist, and that rather than ranking the waitlist and letting people in according to their ranking, this year they're going to do away with the ranking system and just admit people based on how interested they seem. While you're instate and not OOS, I still think that may shed some light on their style of thinking, and may be part of why you've been waitlisted. Mayhap you didn't seem enthusiastic about UVM on your interview day and they figured they were a safety? Anyway, good luck fellow phoenix! :luck:

I don't think I seemed unenthused about the school, as I really love Burlington and my home state. I connected well with my interviewer, and it turned out we had some contacts in common. We had a nice discussion about my research, some papers she had read about it, and ended up having a conversation via email over the next week as well linking articles and discussing topics (all in a positive manner). I really hope they wouldn't exclude me on the basis of high marks, I wouldn't have even applied to the school were I not very interested.

Thanks to you as well for the positive thinking Phoenix. Nice alias btw ;)

Any new news for the waitlisters? Its been just under a week on the list for me, trying to be patient!

as far as i know there is only one waitlist - everyone gets the same message

so dont get too excited by the fact that they use words like "congratulations" and "qualified".... it's a nice way of saying "you're good, just not good enough"

lol.... think i'm a little bitter?

I disagree. At least for OOSers, they made it clear that the vast majority would be put on the waitlist, and they would let us in based on demonstrated interest. If UVM is your top choice, write them letters! Overwhelm them with your love! I believe at this school, that will make all the difference. And when I say "overwhelm," I mean within reason. :rolleyes:

Any new news for the waitlisters? Its been just under a week on the list for me, trying to be patient!

As stated above, don't be patient. Start writing your letters of interest/intent ASAP! :luck:

As for myself, I haven't yet, but I'm pretty Mayo-infatuated (*fingers crossed*), and pleased as punch with my Loyola acceptance. I just don't feel right writing a letter of interest to UVM right now, even though there were things I loved about UVM that are quite unique. I know I would *love* to go to medical school there, but geographically I think Loyola has the edge for me.

I disagree. At least for OOSers, they made it clear that the vast majority would be put on the waitlist, and they would let us in based on demonstrated interest. If UVM is your top choice, write them letters! Overwhelm them with your love! I believe at this school, that will make all the difference. And when I say "overwhelm," I mean within reason. quote]

So this is the question, what exactly would be "within reason"? Being so invested in the whole process makes me (and probably all of us) a poor judge, as I would happily call daily. I believe they prefer emailed letters to phone calls, but how much is enough? Once a week? Once a month? One letter of interest? Letter of interest then letter of intent?

So this is the question, what exactly would be "within reason"? Being so invested in the whole process makes me (and probably all of us) a poor judge, as I would happily call daily. I believe they prefer emailed letters to phone calls, but how much is enough? Once a week? Once a month? One letter of interest? Letter of interest then letter of intent?

It's all subjective. IF this were my first choice school, I would send a LETTER OF INTENT and let them know asap. I think telling them that you WOULD attend and withdraw from all other schools if you were accepted at UVM would be huge. But you have to really mean it if you write it.

If it's a top choice school, but I wasn't prepared to drop all of my other applications, then I would send a letter of interest acknowledging that I was on the waitlist, why I love UVM, and why I would make the absolute best fit for UVM. I would make it as passionate as possible. If I had pending grades, research or new ECs, I would send those as well separately, perhaps later on so as to be able to send them something new and show my continued interest. I'm not sure how many letters I would send, but I would probably send them every other month (I might only send one in January, and wait until March/April to really start my "campaign"). Regardless, I would think sending more than one a month might be a little overkill, but that might just be me. After they've completed all interviews, I would probably also call once a month, perhaps starting in April, asking if there's any waitlist movement and again reiterating how strongly I feel about UVM.

But hey, that's just what my plan of action would be. Obviously go with whatever you feel comfortable with. I remember my student tour guide mentioned how he sent them a slew of letters, and that the last few were the equivalent of just saying he really liked maple syrup cause he had nothing left to add, but still just had to keep sending letters showing how passionate he was about UVM. :laugh: He got in at the last minute (they were going primarily by rank that year), but he did get in.

:luck::luck::luck:

Does anyone have an opinion on trying to re-visit the school (officially)? I ask because I'm going to be in Montreal in two and a half weeks- Montreal is about an hour and a half from Burlington- and I feel like it would look good on my part if I made the effort to come see UVM again.

However, I can't quite come up with a good reason to come see the school again, since pretty well everything I need to know is available online, except that (see above) I think it would look good... which is not a good reason to go.

Any thoughts? Has anyone ever arranged an official re-visit to a school you were interested in? And if so, what was your reason?

hi all- sorry to not have a good answer for previous question re: re-visiting schools, not sure about that.

i have a question about acquiring VT residency before enrolling (if accepted- i too am an Out-of-State Waitlister as of 1/2/08). Does anyone know how difficult a process acquiring in-state residency is? I have lived in VT since last July, will have been here a year before enrolling if i do get off the waitlist. I'm wondering if it's worth going thru the application process or if they are typically extremely picky about who is eligible for in-state (i imagine they would be). any advice would be great.

anyone else hear anything yet?? i have been refreshing my inbox/OAC page for a week i think i need to cut myself off:). thanks.

So this is the question, what exactly would be "within reason"?

When I asked this question, they said once a month would be fine. I was prepared to send the once weekly email, but was worried it would be too over the top... they seemed to agree.

Phoenix, do you think telling them I would drop all other acceptances to go there would be a good strategy for an in-state student? I don't want to seem too eager, and I think telling them something along those lines would give them incentive to wait until the last possible minute to accept me (knowing full well that I'd go there if they had a last minute spot open up).

I hate this process. I really wish it was July already.

Phoenix, do you think telling them I would drop all other acceptances to go there would be a good strategy for an in-state student? I don't want to seem too eager, and I think telling them something along those lines would give them incentive to wait until the last possible minute to accept me (knowing full well that I'd go there if they had a last minute spot open up).

Apparently that's not how adcoms see it. Supposedly they really like it when people write a letter of intent that clearly and convincingly states that they would withdraw from all other schools and attend X school if they were accepted. If someone is a "sure thing," it means they won't have to fill that spot again. And given how UVM feels about wanting students that really want to be there, I think that a letter of intent would be a great thing to send. Just because you're instate does not necessarily mean that they know they can count on you to come if accepted. You could just as likely be holding out more hope for an OOS school you fell in love with and/or you'd like to get out of Vermont or move to a big city. So yeah, it's just my opinion, but I'd send it if I were you. :luck:

*whew* -- just sent my letter of interest... getting off the OOS waitlist would mean the world to me... the past semester was by far the roughest time of my life with a rollover car crash, and then an emergency surgery during finals week (and the weekend I was supposed to graduate)!!!

Not trying to complain... but I'm just praying so hard for some good news to finally come -- I was so impressed by their facilities, and can't even put into words what an acceptance into UVM would mean to me.......

anyone else hear some good news from them yet?

No, still hoping....

I am glad you are ok. What an amazing thing to walk away from something like that. Thanks for giving me a little reality check today and good luck. I really hope you get in.

Anyone know when the next meeting of the adcom will be?

They meet in the end of each month in regards to the new interviewees. However for people on the waitlist it doesnt seem that their file ever gets rereviewed...That's what I was told!

Anyways, this thing with UVM is starting to remind me about one of my previous relationships....overcaring/overloving someone who doesn't give a damn about you... I wonder when should I redirect my energy to somewhere else?

Off the waitlist, ecstatic and jumping.

And phoenix, i think your tour guide was mine too, seems like he has that story for everyone, also about getting into pitt and almost signing a lease on a house.

Accepted to UVM, like winning an acceptance lottery.

And phoenix, i think your tour guide was mine too, seems like he has that story for everyone, also about getting into pitt and almost signing a lease on a house.

CONGRATS! :hardy::hardy::hardy:

So, from your other posts, I see you're OOS, UVM is your top choice, and I'm guessing you were waitlisted around 11/19 or so? Some questions I'm sure people are going to be wondering are whether you've written any letters of interest or intent, and when and how they notified you that you got off the waitlist (I'm guessing email). Congrats again!

Congratulations!

Do you mind giving us more details? When were you informed? stats?

Congrats crucifixio! That means there is still hope for those waiting! Any news about when you got the acceptance would help quell some serious anxiety I'm sure!

Phoenix, wow. U r a researcher, huh? Didnt even know that bout moa.

Waitlisted around 11/19, accepted first wk of 08. I am OOS, way OOS. UVM mos def first choice. I wrote a letter of intent, actually waited a couple weeks, prob bout 5-6 wks, called every other week, and was patient. Didnt know until i got some sought of background check thing from aamcs with a list of schools participating, then i checked my status, and wahlah. what a nice new years present. Keep the faith people. See u guys at UVM.

Any other questions?

Phoenix, wow. U r a researcher, huh? Didnt even know that bout moa.

Waitlisted around 11/19, accepted first wk of 08. I am OOS, way OOS. UVM mos def first choice. I wrote a letter of intent, actually waited a couple weeks, prob bout 5-6 wks, called every other week, and was patient. Didnt know until i got some sought of background check thing from aamcs with a list of schools participating, then i checked my status, and wahlah. what a nice new years present. Keep the faith people. See u guys at UVM.

Any other questions?

Did you also get an email from them? I assumed that they would send an email when the status page changed. If not, there will be a lot of waitlisters checking their status page every day!

And congrats again! I like to think that they were being upfront when they said at my interview day that persistence would pay off.

For those reading, I think that a letter of intent would be key for UVM. But if you write it, mean it. For those wondering about the difference, a letter of interest just says you're very interested in a school whereas a letter of intent says that you would withdraw all other apps if accepted, and only attend UVM.

I check my status page more often that I check my email for an acceptance. I think I checked it about every other day till my acceptance.

I smell OCD over UVM. Got me an acceptance, tho. :laugh:

I check my status page more often that I check my email for an acceptance. I think I checked it about every other day till my acceptance.

I smell OCD over UVM. Got me an acceptance, tho. :laugh:

So you never got an acceptance email? You only know because you happened to check your status page? That's curious. I think the other one or two people who got off the waitlist so far got emails. *shrug*

I'm OCD about Mayo, so I totally understand. Hopefully that will get me an acceptance too. I can dream....

Bump.

Just wondering if any of those in-staters with much better stats than me have heard anything. So long as you guys and gals are still on the wait list, it gives me hope. Once they start taking you, I'm in trouble.

Still nothing here. I suspect that they'd want a letter of intent to accept me, and I'm just not prepared to do that until I hear from Georgetown and Harvard.

Notified by email that I was accepted today. Yay :)

I interviewed last month and on a whim I checked the Online Applicant Center and found I was waitlisted. As OOS and a later interview, I am not too bummed about it. From what I understand, UVM pretty much puts all OOS applicants on the waitlist. Is that correct?

UVM is probably my #2 school (after my very inexpensive state school). Should I write a letter of interest that highlights why I love UVM and dance around the issue of it being my top choice? Any input would be appreciated.

I interviewed last month and on a whim I checked the Online Applicant Center and found I was waitlisted. As OOS and a later interview, I am not too bummed about it. From what I understand, UVM pretty much puts all OOS applicants on the waitlist. Is that correct?

UVM is probably my #2 school (after my very inexpensive state school). Should I write a letter of interest that highlights why I love UVM and dance around the issue of it being my top choice? Any input would be appreciated.

Well, there were some people OOS who were accepted...alas neither of us were in that group. You definitely should write them a letter. I would suggest send a letter of interest and then, if things don't work out with your state school, you can send them a letter of intent later. Good luck!