UVM "special circumstances" essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Homer J. Simpson

1st and goal from the 1 yard line.
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Any of you guys got the UVM secondary yet? They've got an "optional" essay for an applicant to describe "special circumstances", with the determination of special left up to the applicant. I'm just wondering if you leave it blank if it goes in the "doesn't really want to go to UVM" pile.

Anyone know of someone who left it blank and still got an interview?
 
I got the secondary quite a while ago. I interpreted "special" circumstances to be something like explanations for a bad semester--family problems, illness, disablities, etc. I don't think they were looking for a "why do you want to go here" type answer. Then again, that's just the way I saw it.
 
I agree with serpiente, with the addition of situations that may have disadvantaged you all your life.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Homer,
I modified my "diversity" essay that I wrote for Pitt for the UVM optional essay. Outcome: I was rejected from Pitt but got an interview from Vermont! Crazy process isn't it?
My personal feeling is that there probably is no such thing as an "optional" essay--that schools think if you really want to go there you will demonstrate that by going the extra mile and writing all their dumb essays just for your own pleasure.
 
Well, damn! Now I'm wondering whether I should send them an essay as an addendum. Would they even accept it? I have reams of essays I could modify, but just really thought they were asking about "adverse" special circumstances. 😕