UVM Vermont Curriculum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bikehorse

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me more about the UVM curriculum? What I know right now is that it is only 1.5 years of preclinical study, then USMLE Step I mid second year. Does that work well? (I'm wondering why they do that). I also heard that you can do your clinical rotations outside of Vermont. Can anyone verify this? Is this the case only in your fourth year? Can you do the entire year somewhere else or is it only a few months? Also, is the system pass/fail or grades based? Any feedback is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes the VIC curriculum is 1.5 years and you take your boards around february. the extra time is given to give you more time with clinical rotations. the students say that its tough to get 2 years of work done in 1.5, but most of them seem to do fine.

if i remember correctly it is p/f grading system.

you have to do some of your rotations in maine, but they have nice housing all set up for you so thats good. and like almost any school you can do at least most of your 4th year rotations outside of the school you attend...however for uvm they do require you to 2 months of acting internships at MMC or FAHC with one of those months being IM. Outside of that and the teaching and scholarly project you also do in your 4th year...you have about 5 months you can do outside of vermont.

Thanks for the reply. Is the curriculum pass/fail for the entire 1.5 years of preclinical? How do they grade people?

Members don't see this ad :)
i picked up a student handbook for current m1s while i
was there interviewing. It says uvm's " honors/pass/marginal pass/fail method...

Originally posted by PS960
i picked up a student handbook for current m1s while i
was there interviewing. It says uvm's " honors/pass/marginal pass/fail method...

Oh. So it's "A," "B," "C," and "F" just like my school.

Since I go to UVM and am part of the "pioneer" class of the Vermont Integrated Curriculum (we like to call it the VIC around these parts), I'd be more than happy to put in a plug about the VIC.

Yes, as it stands, there is still only a year and a half of basic sciences in the new curriculum. (Which I think is awesome, less time in the classroom, more time in the hospital!!) It was the same in the past, as well. In the VIC, it's called Foundations....and it involves taking a single integrated course at a time. Which translates into not having separate biochem, histology, immunology, pharmacology, etc classes. Instead, we get little bits and pieces of subject material over Foundations. For example, back in August, we started off in a Clinical Decision Making course which lasted for 2 weeks...it involved a little genetics, ethics and epidemiology. This was a class that previous students didn't take until the end of their basic sciences. Then it was on to Cell and Molecular Bio, then we began Human Structure and Function....etc. Other schools have adopted a similar curriculum...I think Michigan, UCLA and some others also launched a new curriculum this year.

After Foundations ends, in January of 2005 (i'm speaking in terms of the Class of 2007), we begin to prepare for the boards. Most people take it sometime in February. In the VIC, we have to take Step I before heading off to the wards. In the past, people had an option of taking Step I before or after their clerkships.

We are not required to go to Maine for our clerkships, but a lot of people, including Maine residents, spend their whole time in Portland, ME. A lot of people will do a few rotations at Maine and then come back to Fletcher Allen...it just depends what your preference is. The word on the street is that Maine is a great place to do Peds because they have a separate Children's hospital.

During the elective years (begins in March/April of the third year), there is the option to do all of your rotations elsewhere. I've heard of many people doing it, mostly because it's fun to travel to different places and it gives them a chance to get a feel for other potential places to spend their resident years at....

We are on a H/P/Fail system. Marginal pass is only used internally, as in, if a person has too many marginal passes (70-74.4%), they might be asked to decelerate or seek assistance.

If you have any other questions about the new curriculum, feel free to PM me....I'm living it as we speak!

Reactions: 1 user