USMLE UW CCS worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ImNotBritish

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm taking Step 3 next week, and reading all of the reports about how some is the UW cases are identical to the real thing, I'm second guessing my plan to not do them. I have been doing the UW questions, and will hopefully finish those in time, and I was just going to use the NBME online CCS practice stuff. If I pay for the UW CCS now, doing them will be at the expense of finishing the q bank. I'm an EM intern, and have spent the last 3 months in an emergency department, if that changes anything. Thanks for your opinions!

Members don't see this ad.

It is well worth it. Even if you have the experience under your belt, UWorld's explanations will help you pick up things you might have missed otherwise. The NBME CCS is good for practice, but UWorld's major strength has always been its explanations. It'll take you a couple of days at best to get through it all, if you can set aside two whole days for it.

Definitely get CCS. The multiple choice questions on Step 3 are like those on the other steps and there's nothing really new there from CK. The CCS cases are weird and are looking for weird things. You will be very confused on test day and will be wasting time trying to figure out the interface and appropriate orders if you don't do CCS.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say it's worth it. I bought it but only did 5-10 cases and read the summary for the rest. In retrospect, i wouldve done 20-30 cases instead as I forgot little things here and there on the actual exam (like forgetting to put the dx for the first 4 cases before I realized I had to press the end case button to do it, I sat around staring at the screen)

Actually doesn't matter if you don't put the diagnosis at the end, they aren't scored if you read the usmle bulletin. I only put in 2-3 on my actual test

Yes..it is, my co-residents who took this exam swear by UW CCS and ********** as a must-do .