UW - %Correct vs Percentile, which is more important?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alternatego

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'm not posting to get the definitions of both. I could've done that using google search. (just a preventive anti-flaming clarification :laugh: )

What I'm interested in knowing is if I should focus my study in those subjects in which I had a lower %Correct, or in those with a lower Percentile? I have 3 weeks until my test BUT I'm reserving the last 12-13 days for FA-only cramming, so that leaves me with just one week to try to try to REALLY hammer out my deficiencies.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Interesting. I haven't done UWorld yet, so perhaps my input isn't as strong, but based on having seen numerous posts over the past several months, it appears as though the %correct on the first-pass of UWorld is a strong indicator of USMLE performance. I personally view this numerical % as the strongest predictor of performance second to the NBME averages. Even though people say UWorld should be used to learn, rather than to gauge performance, I'm definitely going to be OCD about the %correct when I finally do tackle the QBank. For instance, I've noticed that those who get low-80s %correct on UWorld first pass get 260+. On the other hand, I've heard nothing about percentiles.

Bottom line:

I would use the %correct to help you gauge where you might fall performance-wise on the actual USMLE.

I would use the %tile to help you know your relative strengths and weaknesses.

I know my logic seems somewhat reversed here, but I believe %correct is a better indicator of USMLE score than percentile.

-----

Edit: I just took a closer look at your stats for the sake of it, and I noticed that immuno is your strongest. That's quite impressive, because it's one of my weakest. I don't know why. It just is. What did you do to learn immuno? And repro/biochem are somehow my strongest in Kaplan QBank so far. It's funny how our stats are literally the opposite. We should sit the USMLE together haha.

Last edited:
My cumulative is 69% at 100% completion, according to NBME 11 I'm at 247, which is the exact same score given to me by Clinical Review calculator, so I guess its pretty accurate. I'm glad I still have 3 weeks to improve my score

Members don't see this ad :)
Edit: I just took a closer look at your stats for the sake of it, and I noticed that immuno is your strongest. That's quite impressive, because it's one of my weakest. I don't know why. It just is. What did you do to learn immuno? And repro/biochem are somehow my strongest in Kaplan QBank so far. It's funny how our stats are literally the opposite. We should sit the USMLE together haha.

I'm no expert on immuno but I got 93% of the immuno questions right in UWorld on my first pass. All I used was First Aid and a decent understanding from med school (this will do the trick for nearly all the subjects).

I'm no expert on immuno but I got 93% of the immuno questions right in UWorld on my first pass. All I used was First Aid and a decent understanding from med school (this will do the trick for nearly all the subjects).

Yeah, I just liked Immuno a lot while I was in school. For studying I used FA+an immuno textbook I own (it was written in Spanish so it would be useless for me to give you its name) + Qbank + UW + RR Path.

Yeah, I just liked Immuno a lot while I was in school. For studying I used FA+an immuno textbook I own (it was written in Spanish so it would be useless for me to give you its name) + Qbank + UW + RR Path.

Thanks for the input. I'll try to draw the strings together the best that I can.

Bottom line:

I would use the %correct to help you gauge where you might fall performance-wise on the actual USMLE.

I would use the %tile to help you know your relative strengths and weaknesses.

You may not have done UWorld yet, but this is exactly right.

Use the subject percentiles to make sure you don't miss any low-hanging fruit.

If everyone else got a question but you didn't, make sure you go over that concept.

Study time should go by the weight on the exam and your relative weakness.

Use the first time random timed percent correct to estimate your score on the real thing.

I think you are supposed to gauge your deficiencies with the NBMEs, not with UWorld. What was your weakness in the beginning of doing Uworld may no longer be your deficiency, but its still reflected in the average for that subject.

What they told my friends at PASS is keep doing NBMEs until all the lines align to the right and are as short as possible. That's how you gauge what you are deficient in.

I think you are supposed to gauge your deficiencies with the NBMEs, not with UWorld. What was your weakness in the beginning of doing Uworld may no longer be your deficiency, but its still reflected in the average for that subject.

What they told my friends at PASS is keep doing NBMEs until all the lines align to the right and are as short as possible. That's how you gauge what you are deficient in.

You get results for every block of 48 questions in UWorld. You can sort the questions by percentage of other people who got them right - if 80% of people got it right and you got it wrong, you need to spend more time on that subject.

The NBMEs should mainly be used as practice tests and are frankly less important than UWorld for studying.

Where breakdowns are offered, you should obviously use them, but you could easily break 250 on UWorld alone so focus your studying strategy on that.

I've already done 3 NBMEs, but UW gives you a more detailed summary of your strenghts/weaknesses. I'm actually using both to tailor my study these last 3 weeks.