Step I UW Error: Biostats?

Started by DMBFan
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DMBFan

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Here is a question on USMLE World that I think may be an error.

A new test to diagnose a UTI in women is being evaluated. The gold standard is a positive urine dipstick plus urine culture. Results are given below:

+ Dipstick + UC - Dipstick + UC
Test 60 20
+
- 440 180

What is the new test's specificity?
A. 10
B. 30
C. 56
D. 70
E. 90

I got 90% from my calculations of specificity. However, UW says that the specificity would be 90% and then goes on to give the predictive value of 10%. Is this an error or am I missing something?
 
For the numbers you gave (and if I am interpreting their positions correctly - format is hard to follow)

Sensitivity 12%
Specificity 90%
PPV 75%
NPV 29%

So yeah, specificity is .9 if that is what they asked for. But your last statement confused me... were they asking for a specificity or a predictive value? Neither would be 10% though, so probably a typo.