uw ethics question

Discussion in 'Step I' started by obiwan, May 17, 2008.

1. obiwan

obiwan Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    theres a UW question about a football player who wants to play the game even though he has mono but as the team physician, you advise against it...

the right answer is that you have to protect the health of players even against other opposition including the players wishes... however, there is an answer choice about how the physician can do all necessary treatment but ultimately the player has right to decide... why isn't it that the answer since the whole beneficience issue about patients getting to make their own decision if they are well informed

2. DragonWell

Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    If they're a minor, they don't get to decide, and even if an answer choice was "Their parents insist they be allowed to play" I still think the answer would be the same. Minors are treated differently when it comes to medical decisions.

3. DwyaneWade

DwyaneWade Reiging *** Cynic
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    IMHO That does not mean you necessarily can keep the kid from playing. It means you go to whatever lengths to keep him from suiting up, including telling the coach and the administrators what you advise. The other choice is not as good because it suggests that you are hiding the patient's secret, but when you work as the team physician you are required to report the patient's health situation to your employer.

4. DwyaneWade

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    It was not a minor.

5. DragonWell

Attending Physician
    :laugh: Guess I immediately leapt to my "buzzword" mono scenario.

6. osli

osli Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Bingo. You must inform the team coach and/or other team managers. The coach then has the authority to keep the player out of the game. You ultimately can't keep the player from playing if that is his wish, but all team personnel should be fully informed of what is happening. Minor or not, makes no difference.

7. DoctaJay

DoctaJay bone breaker

Fellow [Any Field]
    I think it was a bad question with 2 logical answers. It could go either way to me. The patient autonomy view would say that answer # 2 is just as correct. Heck, I would wager that answer # 2 happens more in real life.

8. medstu2006

medstu2006 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

What about doctor-patient confidentiality? Isn't that being violated if the doctor tells the administration about the player's mono? Ugh... i hate ethics questions.. I either over analyze them or don't think enough...

9. DwyaneWade

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    There is no doctor-patient confidentiality in this case because the doctor is employed by the team and the player gives away those rights when they sign/enroll on a team (I think?).