UW-Madison

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by Dr. J?, Nov 24, 2005.

1. Dr. J?

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Anyone have the 411 on Mad-town?

Am interested in doing an away rotation and would love to hear from any MS-4's or current residents that have experience at this joint.

Also, for anyone who interviewed at the program - what did you think?

Thanks for all the replies.

2. Dr. J?

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    OK, you're tellin' me no one has an opinion on UW?!?

Let me guess, it's too cold for everyone.

3. cchoukal

cchoukal Senior Member
    Moderator 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I interviewed there last year. It came across as a really friendly, progressive program that ultimately lacked the "name" and academic reputation I was seeking. It's difficult to remember a lot of the specifics, but I recall they advertised (like most programs) earning your full case #'s by the end of CA2, 100% board pass rate, and a 5 year unconditional accreditation. They had separate lectures for each class, which was unique to them. I think they are building a peds hospital. They send their residents to northwestern in chicago for a month to get more OB experience, and I think there are a couple small priviate hospitals in town where they rotate periodically. Madison itself is okay, I guess. It's a small midwestern town that, for some reason, most people get really excited about. I've been there a number of times over the years and it's always felt like a big suburb (lots of strip malls and subdivisions everywhere).

4. Mman

Mman Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Also interviewed last year and have been to Madison more than a few times. The program seemed pretty good. The city is a very nice place to live depending on what you are looking for. It always ranks highly on lists of best cities to live in the US. If you are looking for lots of young people and fun bars to hang out at, Madison is excellent. If you are looking for a safe and relatively inexpensive city to raise a family in, it's also pretty good. Not a big city, but I doubt anybody would regret living there if they didn't mind winter in the midwest.

5. Dr. J?

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Thanks for the replies....I'm fairly familiar w/ the city, I was lookin' for more info about the program. Anyone currently in the program? Care to share thoughts about its strengths/weaknesses? Would appreciate any and all opinions.

Thanks.