UW Accreditation Warning

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kevin Durant

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
"Continued Accreditation with Warning Effective 1/29/2018"

Anything going on here to be concerned about? I heard one resident failed to match in cardiac last year, another in pain. A few residents failing their board exams over the past few years. Having to SOAP (either last year or the year before, I don't want to say incorrectly and mislead anyone).

The residents there actually had generally positive things to say, but all of this smoke is making it seem like there is a malignant program at the core.

Members don't see this ad.

The fact that the accreditation status is public knowledge probably means that the program isn't trying to hide anything. I'm sure if you emailed the program director or asked him on your interview day he'd be more than happy to explain what the status means and whether or not it should worry an applicant. UW is a large, well established program backed by a giant hospital system and lead by good people. That being said it has been a few years since I trained and I have no idea what this warning means. The things you mentioned sound true but they are problems specific to individual residents and not to be attributed to a residency program as a whole. I'd venture to guess that the fact they have had to SOAP to fill spots has more to do with the location than the program itself. Seattle is an awesome place to live for the right kind of person... but objectively it is a dreary, wet, exceedingly expensive place that just isn't for everyone.

Reactions: 1 user
The fact that the accreditation status is public knowledge probably means that the program isn't trying to hide anything. I'm sure if you emailed the program director or asked him on your interview day he'd be more than happy to explain what the status means and whether or not it should worry an applicant. UW is a large, well established program backed by a giant hospital system and lead by good people. That being said it has been a few years since I trained and I have no idea what this warning means. The things you mentioned sound true but they are problems specific to individual residents and not to be attributed to a residency program as a whole. I'd venture to guess that the fact they have had to SOAP to fill spots has more to do with the location than the program itself. Seattle is an awesome place to live for the right kind of person... but objectively it is a dreary, wet, exceedingly expensive place that just isn't for everyone.

As a top anesthesia program in the country with regards to reputation, I'd assume they select strong individual residents. Other top programs do not seem to struggle as much with board exams? San Francisco and NYC are all extremely expensive places to live in with a host of their own problems, yet I did not sense any applicants avoiding programs in those cities.

Members don't see this ad :)
As a top anesthesia program in the country with regards to reputation, I'd assume they select strong individual residents. Other top programs do not seem to struggle as much with board exams? San Francisco and NYC are all extremely expensive places to live in with a host of their own problems, yet I did not sense any applicants avoiding programs in those cities.
Seattle is a fantastic city, but to compare it to NYC or San Francisco? It's not even in the same league...

"Continued Accreditation with Warning Effective 1/29/2018"

Anything going on here to be concerned about? I heard one resident failed to match in cardiac last year, another in pain. A few residents failing their board exams over the past few years. Having to SOAP (either last year or the year before, I don't want to say incorrectly and mislead anyone).

The residents there actually had generally positive things to say, but all of this smoke is making it seem like there is a malignant program at the core.

You think KD is a snake bro? Lol can’t disagree

I have a friend who went there and graduated about 3 years back and had nothing but good things to say.

Most recent cardiac match was vicious and I know of more than a few residents who were qualified and flat out didn’t match. I wouldn’t judge too much off of that portion as their internal program for cardiac is small as well.

Failings boards is usually more of a resident issue than program issue imo except in the instance where it’s a bad program that tends to end up with less motivated or capable residents.

I’m at UW, and I’ve been around the department for quite a while.

I’m not going to address the specifics of your concerns on an Internet forum.

I will say however, we have a great program. I feel like I’ve gotten top notch training. If you come here, you will be able to do anything you want with your career.

I will say however, we have a great program. I feel like I’ve gotten top notch training. If you come here, you will be able to do anything you want with your career.
I'm not sure I follow your logic. If you feel that these concerns are a non-issue, why not address them? Especially with the anonymity of an internet forum. You're basically saying "I think you're wrong, but I can't defend why."

I'm not sure I follow your logic. If you feel that these concerns are a non-issue, why not address them? Especially with the anonymity of an internet forum. You're basically saying "I think you're wrong, but I can't defend why."
Maybe don’t rank UW? Plenty of people would be happy to match to UW. I’m not sure why you are perseverating...

Well, the internet isn’t really anonymous... besides if anyone looked at my past posts, it’d really obvious who I am.

I don’t really feel that I can talk about fellowship matching/board scores without going into a resident’s personal situation, which isn’t really appropriate.

Without going into non-internet forum appropriate detail about SOAP/ACGME stuff, I can say that it really isn’t a big deal. The program’s accreditation status isn’t in danger.

I’m not saying that, “I think you’re wrong.” I’m saying that the concerns you’re worried about aren’t a huge deal, and they won’t effect your training/education if you end up here. It certainly hasn’t effected mine.

We aren’t blowing smoke on the interview days. The residents here really like it, our education is great, and we have wide open career options when we graduate.

If you have specific questions about your concerns, email the PD. I promise you that he’ll be frank.

Reactions: 4 users

This was my impression when I interviewed there 3 years ago. They were my #1 but the feeling wasnt reciprocated :(

If you scored an interview here, youd be silly not to rank them very high. The only down side I saw was cost of living including you had to pay for your own parking which was another 150$ a month. A small negative compared with the training and alumni network you gain.

This was my impression when I interviewed there 3 years ago. They were my #1 but the feeling wasnt reciprocated :(

If you scored an interview here, youd be silly not to rank them very high. The only down side I saw was cost of living including you had to pay for your own parking which was another 150$ a month. A small negative compared with the training and alumni network you gain.

Sorry we missed out on having you here...

Cost of living is still high.

BUT, our residents unionized. We now have several new benefits.

One of the benefits is a lump transportation payment (to help with cost of parking), AND any parking on the weekends or over night is covered by UW. I don’t remember the amount of the transportation stipend, but I did the math when it first started and it covers quite a bit of the parking cost.

Funny because I interviewed for ccm track which is also not popular but strong there and here I am doing a ccm fellowship.

You can tell I'm still definitely not salty about that sting years later.

Forgot to mention UW also has Karen Domino whose father pioneered ketamine usage and in her own career is very successful and published in patient safety. Not to mention also a very nice person.

You have that type of faculty at UW.

UW should pay me for my PR outreach!

:)

Funny because I interviewed for ccm track which is also not popular but strong there and here I am doing a ccm fellowship.

You can tell I'm still definitely not salty about that sting years later.

Forgot to mention UW also has Karen Domino whose father pioneered ketamine usage and in her own career is very successful and published in patient safety. Not to mention also a very nice person.

You have that type of faculty at UW.

UW should pay me for my PR outreach!

:)

You should post a negative review so that they can pay you to take it down like restaurants

I'm also a UW resident (hi, @OneTyme) and I'm happy with the program. No residency is or will ever be perfect. If you want a place with great trauma and some pretty good transplant numbers, the clinical mix here is great. FWIW, I'm sticking around for fellowship because of the clinical experience I get here, despite the fact that I'm not a huge fan of Seattle (but that's a rant for another day) ;)