UW Practice test vs NBME

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jw83

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone take the UW self assessment exam for step II? If you did, how did it compare to your actual score? Would you recommend it over the NBME exams? I took the UW one for step I last year and felt that it estimated my actual score better than any of the NBME exams.

Members don't see this ad.

I havent taken the actual exam yet, but just finished the UW assessment. It totally kicked my butt. :scared: I scored 21 points lower than I did on NBME 2which I took a few days ago. There were very few no-brainer questions and most of them were pretty challenging. I am going to review that test and see if I made a bunch of stupid mistakes, but in general, it was definitely a hard test.

Good luck.

Just curious...Why are so many people already taking CK? Is there now a trend towards taking it before submitting applications?

Anyone take the UW self assessment exam for step II? If you did, how did it compare to your actual score? Would you recommend it over the NBME exams? I took the UW one for step I last year and felt that it estimated my actual score better than any of the NBME exams.

I took the UW self assessment exam (exam 1) and scored 15 points lower than NBME Forms 2 and 3 whatever that means!

Good luck :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Just curious...Why are so many people already taking CK? Is there now a trend towards taking it before submitting applications?

No I dont think so. Im taking mine early because I will be taking a year off and want things to be fresh in my mind. I also just finished IM rotation and took the shelf so I figure I wont know anymore than I know now for the test.

Good luck!

I havent taken the actual exam yet, but just finished the UW assessment. It totally kicked my butt. :scared: I scored 21 points lower than I did on NBME 2which I took a few days ago. There were very few no-brainer questions and most of them were pretty challenging. I am going to review that test and see if I made a bunch of stupid mistakes, but in general, it was definitely a hard test.

Good luck.
I thought the same way....i even think that regular USMLE world qs were somewhat easier.
The interesting thing is that it takes about 67-68% to get 230....
is that how real thing works...i wonder

Our school makes us take Step 2 CK by Sept of our 4th yr.

Hi,

for those who have taken the UW assessment, do they provide explanations for the wrong answers?

can you go over your wrong answers in other words?

I always find it a waste when I take the NBME and cannt know exactly what I got wrong and what I got right

Yes, you can review all answers just like in the regular usmleworld test bank. It also has the "analysis" tab just like in the regular test bank. Pretty much it is just 4 extra sections of 46 questions which no one can tell are any different other than the fact that you get a predicted step 2 score at the end of it.

Yes, you can review all answers just like in the regular usmleworld test bank. It also has the "analysis" tab just like in the regular test bank. Pretty much it is just 4 extra sections of 46 questions which no one can tell are any different other than the fact that you get a predicted step 2 score at the end of it.

And for whatever reason I think they are easier then the regular USMLE questions, at least that was my experience. I averaged 72% (high of 78%) on the UW self assessment and have yet to get over 70% on a single block in the regular UW Qbank (avg. over the past week prob about 63.)