UW Questions & Educational Objectives

Discussion in 'Step I' started by futuredoctor10, Aug 11, 2011.

1. futuredoctor10

Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I really like the "EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVES" in the USMLE World question answer explanations because they are usually concise and includes enough information to understand the concept/question.

For ones I miss, especially not in FA, I annotate this educational objective into FA.

I noticed a lot of recent posts indicating when reviewing UW to review all the explanations fully and carefully. Did you all get questions on other content/material within the UQ questions (for instance, explanations in wrong answer choices)? Some of this material seems very detailed or extraneous and I was not sure how important it is to commit this to memory, versus just reading full explanations for understanding.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. futuredoctor10

Resident [Any Field]
    Bump. Anyone?

4. Kuuaku

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I found it VERY useful to read all the answer choices as well as the educational objective. I tried to get as much as possible from every UWorld question and I think that helps a lot. This strategy is an easy way to compare and contrast similar answer choices that are often tested together, and helps you learn more than 5 things from 1 question .

I definitely had other questions that came directly from the answer choices. Time is also a huge factor, so if you find yourself spending 2+ hours going over a block, you might want to ration your time more wisely. A strategy I used towards the end of my studying was first going over the answers I missed in detail, then the ones I marked, then the ones I got right (quickly if I was taking too long). For things that were good integration points or wow moments, I made a computer flash card.

So, in short, YES- if you have the time, go over all the answer choices. I think this helped me do well on the exam. Good luck!

5. MeatTornado

MeatTornado On Sabbatical
    Physician 7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    agreed

i remember an upperclassmen once said that it's as important to know why the incorrect answers are incorrect as it is to know why the correct answer is correct. after taking step 1 i definitely appreciate this advice more.

6. futuredoctor10

Resident [Any Field]
    Cool, thanks everyone. That advice makes sense!