UW secondary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dirtybob

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Today i received an email asking me to fill out their secondary after they reviewed my application. I'm not sure if anyone else got this email, but from what i know, it's very rare for a california resident to get an interview at UW unless you're a MSTP. does anyone know if UW screens? About a month ago, i received the first email saying they encourage us applicants to apply to their MSTP program, and pointed out that they accept a certain population from wyoming, montana, and the dakotas. Afterwards, i was a bit discouraged so eliminated them from my list of schools. Should i reconsider and send out the secondary?

dirtybob

Members don't see this ad.

They take very few out-of-state applicants from outside of the WWAMI (Washington, Wyoming, Alaska, Montana, Idaho) area. To be considered I think you have to be a very outstanding applicant and be very passionate about primary care. They have some inforamtion on their website about it which I would recommend checking out.

great job,

I have also received the secondary as an IL resident, though my my alma matter is UW-Madison, so that may have some effect.

In any case, they accept few out-of-staters, except those that fill some niche, such as diversity, etc...

If you read the fine print you will see that a secondary actually means you have an interview, they will be sending out the schedule later.
So yes, they screen HEAVILY.

Go Badger's
H.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dirty Bob: they are ASKING YOU to fill out the secondary! What's with you guys questioning the adcoms? Fill the sucker out! They want YOU, babe! You're on the precipice of your dream-don't stop now...go, go, go!:clap:

Mr. H, i just PMed you

we need to clear up whether dirtybob is talking about U Washington or U Wisconsin. SMW is talking about U Washington, Mr. H is talking about U Wisconsin. U Wisconsin screens for secondaries and has already given out rejections. U Washington accepts maybe 1% out of state (not including WWAMI). I asked them about this once and they said it's EXTREMELY difficult to get in out-of-state/region. MSTP is prolly different though.

Good catch, athena. But I think dirtybob is talking about UW in Seattle, WA from what he said about Montana and Wyoming (I assumed he just got the Dakotas part wrong). I think if you're an MSTP applicant the geographical constraints do not apply.

sorry folks, I was def. thinking of wisconsin!