UW - So Many Electives II Choose From...Aiya!

Started by Bubble Thi
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Bubble Thi

Bubble Thi
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm gonna be entering pharmacy school at UW this autumn and am trying to plan out what electives to take. I am particularly interested in specializing in either oncology or infectious diseases and will definitely look into electives delving into these two areas. However, I would be so grateful if any other Huskies out there could give me any recommendations, warnings, advice, or comments on electives offered at UW. What are the popular electives? Electives (or profs) to stay away from?

Also, if there was one thing you wish someone could have told you or you wish you would have known upon entering pharmacy school, what would it be?

Thank you so much, guyz!! I really appreciate it!
🙂
 
You could visit www.uwpharmacy.com and see "elective course reviews and discussion". That's our school's own student forum.

As a first year I think you would benefit from taking MC 420. Plus, you can use same paper for that elective and the core course you'll be taking with Teresa O'Sullivan.

I took BA470 my first quarter and was not that impressed.

The one thing: STUDY YOUR BUTT OFF FOR THE MEDCHEM QUALIFYING EXAM. (And if you pass it, do not take MC 400 for the heck of it.)

Congratulations on getting into UW!
 
bananaface said:
You could visit www.uwpharmacy.com and see "elective course reviews and discussion". That's our school's own student forum.

As a first year I think you would benefit from taking MC 420. Plus, you can use same paper for that elective and the core course you'll be taking with Teresa O'Sullivan.

I took BA470 my first quarter and was not that impressed.

The one thing: STUDY YOUR BUTT OFF FOR THE MEDCHEM QUALIFYING EXAM. (And if you pass it, do not take MC 400 for the heck of it.)

Congratulations on getting into UW!

I really appreciate you help, bananaface! Just one more question - in terms of studying for the medchem qualifying exam, I noticed that the information provided about the topics on the exam include a lot of organic chemistry stuff. Would it be enough to study from my organic chem book for it, or should I go out and get a medchem book? Thank you!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a 2nd yr like banana
from what I can remember there was a lot of R/S acid/base stuff
but it HAS been two years

one peice of advice,, stock up on electives this year
first year is the easiest year
and you want to get some electives under your belt
so you dont have to take as many 2nd year (which is THE hard year)

a friend of mine loaded up 1st year
and i'm wishing i wouldve done that
 
"Also, if there was one thing you wish someone could have told you or you wish you would have known upon entering pharmacy school, what would it be?"

Don't eat during class... i hate those people so much esp. those not sharing with me during a long lecture.
 
Bubble Thi said:
I really appreciate you help, bananaface! Just one more question - in terms of studying for the medchem qualifying exam, I noticed that the information provided about the topics on the exam include a lot of organic chemistry stuff. Would it be enough to study from my organic chem book for it, or should I go out and get a medchem book? Thank you!!
Just the O-chem book will be fine. It's all O-chem on the exam.
 
Thanx so much you guyz. Your advices have been very valuable! I guess I'll be the only nerd hauling my ochem book to the beach this summer...hehehe. Oh well, let's see the types of guyz I pick up with an ochem book...haha! :laugh:
 
Whoa, you're already talking about registering for classes? Am I under-prepared or are you just over-prepared? 😛
 
avengerboater2 said:
Whoa, you're already talking about registering for classes? Am I under-prepared or are you just over-prepared? 😛
Paranoia is a virtue, luvs. If you have all your course line numbers/add codes ready to punch in the second registration opens for you, you'll have the best chance of getting everything you want.

And...don't assume you are NOT going to pass that medchem exam. I figured I wouldn't anyway, did all the easy questions on the test, and missed passing by a few points. I kicked myself all quarter, if you will. There was a bit of arrow-pushing and some circling of functional groups, too.

I second Medchem 420; "Biology of Aging" (a UCONJ course) is also fairly easy and fun.

Julia (UWSOP class of 2008)