Uworld 55% after doing zanki

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orthomyxostudent

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello everyone.

I feel demoralized after getting 55% on my uworld averages after finishing the zanki deck. I have about 5% of uworld done so I don't know if I am panicking too early. I haven't started dedicated yet but I would just like to know the best way to approach uworld problems. I have 50% of zanki matured but some uworld questions are just so hard. Also, since I am starting dedicated what should I do during this time since I have already read First Aid after doing zanki? thank you everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Nothing to freak out about.

Did you do another qbank prior to doing UW? I did Rx before I starting UW, and believe it has helped me a lot.

Just keep pushing. Review well. Most people start around that and climb to 70's and 80's.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
The advantage if Zanki isn't acing UWorld blocks right off of the bat or scoring 250+ on your first practice exam, it is having a far less steep learning curve to climb compared to those who haven't been grinding all year. You'll also be able to review material significantly faster than others & remember nitty-gritty details others won't because all of the core-concepts from all systems should be fresh in your mind if you have been doing your reviews properly.

e.g.) when I was in dedicated last year I had been reviewing my cards religiously all year during second year, but during dedicated I still re-watched Pathoma 2x on x2 speed. This wasn't because there were things I misunderstood (okay maybe a few things here & there), but it was because I had all of the core-concepts memorized/understood from my work on the cards during the year & I was adding tiny details to my accumulated knowledge to get extra points that others might not because it was nitty-gritty detail stuff.

It is because of the above reason that those who do Zanki (or another good Step 1 deck) are able to score - usually - significantly higher than those who don't: because by the time dedicated comes around, all you're doing is adding small details to your knowledge that will separate you from the others.

Long story short, you're UWorld %'s will improve with time if you've been reviewing your cards properly through the year; no worries.

Reactions: 3 users
hello everyone.

I feel demoralized after getting 55% on my uworld averages after finishing the zanki deck. I have about 5% of uworld done so I don't know if I am panicking too early. I haven't started dedicated yet but I would just like to know the best way to approach uworld problems. I have 50% of zanki matured but some uworld questions are just so hard. Also, since I am starting dedicated what should I do during this time since I have already read First Aid after doing zanki? thank you everyone!

Hey friend! I was on a similar boat as you a few months ago. I had around 80% of zanki matured and started Kaplan averaging around 65% for a bit, which is nothing great. It was disappointing and disheartening at first since I felt I should have been doing better with all of zanki as my foundation. But that's why people say practice problems are king, and that's where you learn how to apply what you've remembered from zanki to questions. A lot of these questions really just exposed me of not understanding a card fully, or maybe I didn't remember a concept as well as I thought. After a bit of Kaplan I was able to drag my average up to 70%, and now I'm averaging 76% on UW. Continue doing your cards, and do as many practice problems as you can. Remember that getting them wrong is just another opportunity to learn!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Uworld percentage means nothing as long as ur learning. I think I finished my first pass with an avg of like 57% and I scored in the 240s

The advantage if Zanki isn't acing UWorld blocks right off of the bat or scoring 250+ on your first practice exam, it is having a far less steep learning curve to climb compared to those who haven't been grinding all year. You'll also be able to review material significantly faster than others & remember nitty-gritty details others won't because all of the core-concepts from all systems should be fresh in your mind if you have been doing your reviews properly.

e.g.) when I was in dedicated last year I had been reviewing my cards religiously all year during second year, but during dedicated I still re-watched Pathoma 2x on x2 speed. This wasn't because there were things I misunderstood (okay maybe a few things here & there), but it was because I had all of the core-concepts memorized/understood from my work on the cards during the year & I was adding tiny details to my accumulated knowledge to get extra points that others might not because it was nitty-gritty detail stuff.

It is because of the above reason that those who do Zanki (or another good Step 1 deck) are able to score - usually - significantly higher than those who don't: because by the time dedicated comes around, all you're doing is adding small details to your knowledge that will separate you from the others.

Long story short, you're UWorld %'s will improve with time if you've been reviewing your cards properly through the year; no worries.
This. Zanki lets you memorize all the facts but when you start doing the questions you start piecing all the random buzzwords/facts you have in your head and start creating pathways between them. 55% is a great start and will only go up

Reactions: 1 user

Thank you so much! I was so discouraged thinking that I wasted so much time on cards and I am still not able to do well. Can I message you? I am having a hard time deciding what to do for my dedicated time if I have already done zanki and started Uworld.

Thank you so much! I was so discouraged thinking that I wasted so much time on cards and I am still not able to do well. Can I message you? I am having a hard time deciding what to do for my dedicated time if I have already done zanki and started Uworld.
It's simple - Do UW blocks and continue your card reviews.
Review UW blocks with FA and making new anki cards for the concept/fact from wrong or even for correct questions.

OOC, you zanki finisher-ers - how many cards do you guys review a day?