UWorld ABFM question bank/family practice board review for FM clerkship/medical student level?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pbnmac

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear FM peeps, I have an interest in FM down the line for next year's match application season and had a semi-related question to my 3rd year med school FM shelf. I've heard this is one of the more challenging shelf exams to take (even if you've completed most of your other major rotations)!!

a) Regarding UWorld's ABFM question resource that some of you might be using for your residency training and/or after FM residency graduation/re-certification... they have a small 10 question sample available on their website but I couldn't gather much of an impression as to its benefit at the medical student level (e.g. for FM shelf + USMLE Step2ck). The uworld ABFM answer explanations did reveal similar bits and pieces extracted verbatim from my current uworld subscription to usmle step 2ck and am curious as to the overlap from your recollection; if you had ever used uworld for step 2ck/3rd year med school rotations.

b) I currently have a subscription to the free AAFP questions but they're mixed reviews on how they are for the 3rd year shelf...

c) Then there's Pretest for family medicine (but this hasn't been updated since 2012). I'll have to check the latest USPSTF guidelines if considering the latter.

d) I also found on amazon, a Q&A book called, family practice and board examination review (graber/wilber, 3rd edition from 2012) - the style of the text is interesting but the preface of the book echoed that this might be good for Step 3 + the ABFM boards.

Disregarding the cost of the aforementioned resources, what are your thoughts on some of those (especially re: uworld's ABFM questions)? I'd also be open to hearing other resources which might be useful to check out!

Cheers.

Members don't see this ad.

Contrary to popular belief, at least in my opinion, it is not one of the harder shelf exams, you just have to study for it differently. You should do all of the AAFP questions. There's like 1400, and the content is identical to what you will see on the shelf. Now the shelf questions are nothing like the AAFP questions, but the content tested, info described in the answers, etc. are perfect for the shelf.

If you want and have time for more, I've heard Pretest is very good for FM, but I barely used it myself. Also, i recommend reading the preventative medicine chapter in Step Up to Med.

I'd absolutely study the USPSTF recommendations table. You have to. The AAFP will cover it, but having the recommendations down will net you a ton of easy points on the shelf.

As far as difficulty, I think people find it hard because of how broad the subjects are, but if you study and focus on what I recommended, you'll have no problem with it And it obviously helps to have done IM, OB, Peds and Psych already, but I took it before I had those rotations.

Reactions: 1 user
Contrary to popular belief, at least in my opinion, it is not one of the harder shelf exams, you just have to study for it differently. You should do all of the AAFP questions. There's like 1400, and the content is identical to what you will see on the shelf. Now the shelf questions are nothing like the AAFP questions, but the content tested, info described in the answers, etc. are perfect for the shelf.

If you want and have time for more, I've heard Pretest is very good for FM, but I barely used it myself. Also, i recommend reading the preventative medicine chapter in Step Up to Med.

I'd absolutely study the USPSTF recommendations table. You have to. The AAFP will cover it, but having the recommendations down will net you a ton of easy points on the shelf.

As far as difficulty, I think people find it hard because of how broad the subjects are, but if you study and focus on what I recommended, you'll have no problem with it And it obviously helps to have done IM, OB, Peds and Psych already, but I took it before I had those rotations.

Bumping this thread for more input.

Did anyone go back and do IM uworld for the family med shelf?

I keep hearing great things about AAFP but everyone at my school states those questions are too detailed or specific to residency level stuff. Does anyone disagree with that?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)