UWorld average lol

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Billroth_III

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Been doing UWorld the past month now and my average is a flat 30% so far. I know boards is 10 months away but how do I bring this up?

My goal for boards is 230-235.

Is this reasonable in 10 months time?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you doing it random?

I wouldn’t do UWorld this far out.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
A lot of uworld pulls from multiple sections in every question. For instance, it would be hard to do the cardio section if you haven’t done renal. Or the renal without endocrine. Msk and neuro overlap. Etc.

I wouldn’t do it this far out either tbh. But to answer your question, it would be weird to be doing even average when you have only covered a little over half of the material.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I do the systems I’ve covered in class but like you’re all saying, even those sections pull from some systems I haven’t covered yet.
Maybe I’ll slow down on UWorld or strictly use it as a learning tool

I do the systems I’ve covered in class but like you’re all saying, even those sections pull from some systems I haven’t covered yet.
Maybe I’ll slow down on UWorld or strictly use it as a learning tool

I would instead advise using another Qbank for studying this far out. Uworld is so valuable not because of the information contains, but rather in how the questions are structured to make you think and integrate all the material you've learned. That's why I think it's an ideal resource for use in the more immediate lead-up to step 1.

Reactions: 3 users
What would be a good % to shoot for in QBanks such as Rx and COMBANK when doing a systems approach. Rx seems rely heavily on memorizing 1st and and seeing if you memorized some nitty gritty thing (havent started UW yet so not sure if it is the same way). COMBANK seems to have mostly easy, medium, and a few hard questions.

What would be a good % to shoot for in QBanks such as Rx and COMBANK when doing a systems approach. Rx seems rely heavily on memorizing 1st and and seeing if you memorized some nitty gritty thing (havent started UW yet so not sure if it is the same way). COMBANK seems to have mostly easy, medium, and a few hard questions.
I'm doing the same Qbanks and honestly at this point I wouldn't worry too much about your percentages. Continue to use them as a learning tool is what I keep getting told. I would say scoring above the averages would be a good goal to aim for on your blocks as of right now. Maybe even a bit higher than that since you are doing a systems approach.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm doing the same Qbanks and honestly at this point I wouldn't worry too much about your percentages. Continue to use them as a learning tool is what I keep getting told. I would say scoring above the averages would be a good goal to aim for on your blocks as of right now. Maybe even a bit higher than that since you are doing a systems approach.

I was a lil late to the Anki game but have you found that it has helped you in terms of answering questions and put you above the average?

I was a lil late to the Anki game but have you found that it has helped you in terms of answering questions and put you above the average?
Yes 100%. There's no way I would remember as much as I do from first year and the initial systems we covered without it.

I mean you can def do UW this far out. The best scorers swear by this.
But do it in small bites (10 Q system specific), and concentrate on system review via Boards and Beyond, Pathoma, and FA.
You can do UW timed 40 mixed blocks closer to dedicated.

I did Rx then did UW in dedicated. But honestly, one thing I would have changed from my Step 1 prep is starting UW much earlier.

The reason I began UWorld early was because of how they ask questions and you most often have to read between the lines to get the answer which is a skill I do not inherently possess (as it showed on my MCAT)

My school has also thus far done a horrible job preparing us for questions like this in my opinion

Amboss fits exactly what you are looking for. System specific board style questions that are at the least 3rd order questions, sometimes they feel like 5th order to me (if that even exists). I found RX to be not nearly as difficult as Amboss.

Trust me on this. STOP doing UWorld this far out. Save it for dedicated. Use other banks (Amboss, Rx, Kaplan) until dedicated period during your Spring of second year

Reactions: 1 users
not to hijack this thread but any body here use kaplan and like it i hear so much that it focuses on specific details but im maxing out amboss and i feel like i cant go to Rx becasue everyone says it is so easy

not to hijack this thread but any body here use kaplan and like it i hear so much that it focuses on specific details but im maxing out amboss and i feel like i cant go to Rx becasue everyone says it is so easy

I use Kaplan. It's got a decent amount of low yield/crappy questions, but otherwise I would say it's a good bank. Rx definitely isn't easy, at least anymore. They've made a lot of their questions harder than before.

yeah hit Kaplan next after you exhaust Amboss. It is the 3rd best qbank after UWorld and Amboss imo. Rx is still really good but its better for learning First Aid during the school year. There are low yield nitpicky questions on pretty much every bank except for UWorld so just take those with a grain of salt and move on

save UWorld for dedicated.

Yes I was getting wrecked too early in M2 and ended up with 230. Remember that you can't really isolate these organ systems and 'only do cardio questions'. Ultimately when you finish all the M2 path things will make more sense.

Do some Zanki, do some micro/pharm cards, and don't worry.

• Love
yeah hit Kaplan next after you exhaust Amboss. It is the 3rd best qbank after UWorld and Amboss imo. Rx is still really good but its better for learning First Aid during the school year. There are low yield nitpicky questions on pretty much every bank except for UWorld so just take those with a grain of salt and move on

In what things would you say Kaplan excels in over Rx. I haven't used it but would definitely think about it if it's better.