UWorld OB/GYN shelf

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lamotrigine

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if any one has taken the shelf recently and used UWorld, did your percentile and percentage correct on UWorld correlate to what you got on your shelf?

Members don't see this ad.

i'm just going to add to this thread (if you dont mind :oops:) and ask for how you've studied for this thing? 1 month of textbook/case files and then focus on questions the following month? or spread throughout? i'm having a hard time planning out what to do when.

I had ob/gyn in may/june. I just read case files once or twice throughout the rotation then did USMLE world the last 2 weeks of the rotation. That is all you need. UWorld is phenomenal for the ob/gyn shelf. I can't remember how I did on the UWorld questions, but I did every single one until I got them right. I'm just your average med student and I got an 88 on the shelf.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you referring to USMLE world? And if so I presume you just bought the Step 2 review and selected to take the OB/Gyn questions correct?

Thanks.

UWorld is the best kept secret of third year. I read Blueprints and CaseFiles then did UWorld the last two days and I think I rocked it.

UWorld is the best kept secret of third year. I read Blueprints and CaseFiles then did UWorld the last two days and I think I rocked it.

I used Uworld- did every question until I got them right consistently

Used casefiles and blueprints- do the questions in blueprints and the blueprints online questions (there's 50 questions you can access with the code on the inside front cover behind the scratch-off seal).

I felt very well prepared.

I had a copy of pretest, but stopped using it after a day or so... they seem to miss the mark

I just took the ob/gyn shelf and I thought UWorld questions were a bit easier than the actual shelf questions. My shelf was very heavy in gyn questions, lighter in ob.

I just took the ob/gyn shelf and I thought UWorld questions were a bit easier than the actual shelf questions. My shelf was very heavy in gyn questions, lighter in ob.

when you say gyn q's, are you referring to stuff cancer-related? not asking you for anything specific, general is good.

Just took the OB/gyn shelf....UWorld helped, but I think being on the OB floor being active and reading FHR strips and scrubbing on GYN cases and asking attending why pt had surgery due to treatment algorithm was more helpful.

I don't see an "Official OB/GYN shelf prep..." thread anywhere, so since there seems to already be a couple ppl posting on here what they used does anyone else want to contribute? My rotation is coming up next week and is 6 weeks long. It looks like the schedule is going to suck so I'm not sure how much time I'll have to do more than one boook. I've got Blueprints and Case Files that were handed down to me from other students and also have USMLE World which I plan on using. Any suggestions as to where to focus my time in terms of books? And also since I learn a lot from doing questions, are there any other (maybe 2nd best next to UWorld) question banks/books out there that are worthwhile? Thanks

LOL at Depakote and Lamotrigine posting in the same thread.

Reactions: 1 user
Here is a great thread on preparing for this shelf:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=478137

The consensus seemed to be that Case Files, Blueprints, and a qbank were all that is needed to top the 90th percentile. I can vouch that it's true.

Ask your department if they have a uWISE subscription. It's pretty expensive and not worth paying for as an individual, but a great alternative to UWorld if your school is picking up the tab.

My school has a uWise subscription, so I just used that, since it's free.

How helpful are the uWise questions. I'm about 3/4 of the way done with them. Completing them is a requirement of my clerkship.