UWorld percentage to IM shelf

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Knife & Gun Club

EM/CCM PGY-4
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Quick question, what’s a rough approximation of how UW percentages line up with percent correct on the real IM shelf?

Not looking for anything super specific, just a rough guide. I’m currently hitting around 60-65% correct on UW blocks and am just concerned about passing (5th percentile).

I’ve sort of neglected studying for the shelf very much since my IM rotation has been unusually intense.

Members don't see this ad.

How many questions have you done

Like 250 questions. tutor random mode.

My % correct is about 60% and my percentile is considerably higher than 5th percentile. In fact my bestie is mid 50s and her percentile is also above that... Something doesn't add up here.

Yea my UW percentile is like ~25th...but that’s in relation to step 2 not the IM shelf. Talking to some 4th yr students they seemed to suggest the IM a shelf was considerably harder than UW.

Sorry if this is a dumb question. It’s my first shelf. After knowing all the inticacies of step 1, my relative lack of understanding the shelf exams is giving me anxiety lol

Members don't see this ad :)
I did like 600 questions, got like 60% right on average, ended up doing average on the shelf (77.)

Like 250 questions. tutor random mode.

Yea my UW percentile is like ~25th...but that’s in relation to step 2 not the IM shelf. Talking to some 4th yr students they seemed to suggest the IM a shelf was considerably harder than UW.

Sorry if this is a dumb question. It’s my first shelf. After knowing all the inticacies of step 1, my relative lack of understanding the shelf exams is giving me anxiety lol

You should pass without issue. If you’re worried do one of the online NBME 50 question practice tests.

76% correct on uworld, got 99th percentile or 92 on the shelf.

Reactions: 1 user
I did all the IM questions and generally hovered around average to slightly above average for each block (random, tutor). I got an 87 on the shelf which is pretty solid (like 90th percentile?). UWorld is awesome for learning so just make sure you really understand each explanation, make flash cards if necessary, etc. For assessment purposes, the NBMEs are much better. My last NBME basically predicted my score exactly. And also you will definitely pass!

Reactions: 1 user