Uworld percentages

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

colts

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are you guys getting on uworld per block (of like 46 questions or how ever many questions that you do at a time)?

and

Do you guys do random questions, meaning even selecting the subjects that you haven't reviewed yet or do you just do the questions for the subjects that you have reviewed so far?

I am doing questions only on the subject that I have reviewed so far (so far I did pulm, cardio, endo, neuro, and psych, so when I do uworld, I only do questions for those subjects and then when I, for example, finish resp, I do questions for pulm, cardio, endo, neuro, pysch, and resp), and I can't seem to get above 70%, is this normal?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
But is that for people doing completely random blocks of even the material they dont know or blocks on subjects they have reviewed?

I think for these score correlations to be a good predictor you should be taking blocks of 46 timed, non-tutor and random. I feel like doing it any other way is too much bias to be able to truly compare.

Members don't see this ad :)
I do blocks of random questions. If you have time, maybe use a different qbank (I would recommend Kaplan) for targeted review and save UWorld for when you've done at least one pass through all the material so you can do random.

Everyone is going to have different percentages that they get on UWorld; their scores won't have much relevance for your studying ;) I think 70% is fine.

Also, take that blogspot link with a grain of salt. I have no idea how they could compile such a thing. My own NBME 7 raw score and three digit conversion (purhcased test) was way off from what they have...yes, I know n=1 but still. Maybe I'm misunderstanding their chart somehow...

Thanks for the feedback.

But whats concerning me is that I can't seem to reach above 70% and I'm only doing questions that I have reviewed the subject for thus far? Is anyone else having the same difficulty?

That chart has been pretty accurate for me. I started with about 54% on UW and I'm usually in the mid-60s now. When I look at past experience threads, it seems like people's scores were mostly in line with what the chart predicted (although, of course, it wasn't too precise).

Also, you could check out the Clinical Review score predictor.

By the way, I realize that the chart isn't the best predictor, but I just meant for it to reassure you that 70% is a good score, even if it's material that you've already reviewed.

When I did UWorld the first time through, I averaged about 70.5%

The second time through was higher obviously

The Regression curve posted said I would hve gotten a 250-260 with that score ( can't recall exact number).

I actually did a bit better than that on the real test

Reactions: 1 user
I'm going through tutored mode while doing specific systems and subjects as I review for my finals. Then on my second pass I plan on doing random untimed. I'm not fretting over my % for now since the goal for me is to learn as much as possible from the Qbank and start thinking like they want me too. I plan on using the NMBEs to actually gauge my progress though.

I'm a bit skeptical of these QBank predicted scores (regardless as to whether they're based in UWorld, Kaplan or wherever). I'm ~86% cum through >2100 questions in Rx right now, and in the cum report it says "predicted score: score above 275." Now I mean come on. I would have a better chance of dying from an aortic dissection in my sleep tonight as a young, healthy person (Gd forbid) than actually having that score on the real exam, so once again, I would take these predictors with a boulder of salt.

I'm a bit skeptical of these QBank predicted scores (regardless as to whether they're based in UWorld, Kaplan or wherever). I'm ~86% cum through >2100 questions in Rx right now, and in the cum report it says "predicted score: score above 275." Now I mean come on. I would have a better chance of dying from an aortic dissection in my sleep tonight as a young, healthy person (Gd forbid) than actually having that score on the real exam, so once again, I would take these predictors with a boulder of salt.

I don't think anybody is saying that those predictions are particularly precise for anybody. These predictions are especially inaccurate at the higher end of the score range. And USMLERx's predictions are based on a regression analysis with n = less than 30, so they probably didn't have anybody with that high of a score in their analysis.

The point is that 70% is a good score, that's all. I linked to that chart because it's often hard to know what sort of score to be satisfied with on UWorld, but we all know what it means if somebody says "on average, people with that score get about a 240 on the real thing."

USMLERx's predictions are based on a regression analysis with n = less than 30, so they probably...

One prospective cohort study of 26 students was used as an example to verify the integrity of the score-predicting formula they use.

Their predictions of scores aren't based on that study; they're based on their formula: USMLERx Step Qmax(%)*2.64 + 47 = USMLE Step 1 3-digit score (+/- 20 for the 95% CI)

Obviously increasing their participant numbers would increase their study power (1-beta error, with beta representing the data that had not supported their study), so none of us are in a position to refute the integrity of their formula as much as we are their mere attempt to validate it.

I reckon this formula is similar to UWorld's though. It's just that the question style differs, so that more than anything is likely the source of error, rather than actual material tested.

I'll edit this post:

I'd also be curious as to how you can come out and say that the score predictions are "especially inaccurate" at the top of the range. What do you base that off of? I'm not challenging that point because I don't believe you, but I'd rather be well-informed as to the existing studies/statistics more than not.

Last edited:
I'd also be curious as to how you can come out and say that the score predictions are "especially inaccurate" at the top of the range. What do you base that off of? I'm not challenging that point because I don't believe you, but I'd rather be well-informed as to the existing studies/statistics more than not.

Well, scores at both extremes are less reliable for prediction purposes because they have a much smaller sample size to test.

Also, there's less room for error at the higher end (i.e. the difference between 86% and 88% is generally more significant than the difference between 62% and 64%).

If you're getting 86% on the questions, you're certainly in line for a very high score. It's just that the linear regression is based mostly on scores that are closer to the mean. Also, their regression is linear, while the regression for the NBME tests looks like the left side of a negative parabola... which again suggests that they are likely estimating, and it makes more sense to try to make your estimates more accurate for the majority of people (who score closer to the mean).
If the real test uses a parabolic regression like the NBME tests do, then a linear regression would slightly underestimate scores in the average range and (depending on the nature of the curve) overestimate scores in the very high and very low ranges.

Their predictions of scores aren't based on that study; they're based on their formula: USMLERx Step Qmax(%)*2.64 + 47 = USMLE Step 1 3-digit score (+/- 20 for the 95% CI)
Oh, I must have misunderstood - from what I read on the website, my impression was that they wrote the formula based on the study results.

Disclaimer: all of the stuff I wrote above is based on my own little mathematical analysis, done at 6:40 am after being up all night because I apparently don't have a suprachiasmatic nucleus... so there might be a blatant logical error there. But honestly, I think we're taking this discussion too far now. All I was initially trying to say was that the OP has a pretty good score. Not as good as Phloston's, but I think that very few of us will be shooting that high.

Members don't see this ad :)
One prospective cohort study of 26 students was used as an example to verify the integrity of the score-predicting formula they use.

Obviously increasing their participant numbers would increase their study power (1-beta error, with beta representing the data that had not supported their study), so none of us are in a position to refute the integrity of their formula as much as we are their mere attempt to validate it.

I reckon this formula is similar to UWorld's though. It's just that the question style differs, so that more than anything is likely the source of error, rather than actual material tested.

I'll edit this post:

Getting 1 more question right at the 260 level has quite a bit more impact on your score than getting 1 more question right at 240, so I think that is probably the basis of people thinking high end scores are more volatile.

My gut intuition is that super high scores (250s-270s) as more luck based than say a solid high range score (230s-250s). Sure, you prepare all you can but when it comes down to it if those hand full of killer questions that only 20% of people get right are in subjects that you're strong in, then it defines your score. You might get an exam that only has GI pharm which is our strong suite, with no neuro pharm that you weren't always sure aobut. You might get a test where all of the behavioral science questions are straight psych diagnoses and ego defense mechanisms instead of slightly more nebulous "what would you say next" quotes that for me at least are harder to be certain about.

Getting 1 more question right at the 260 level has quite a bit more impact on your score than getting 1 more question right at 240, so I think that is probably the basis of people thinking high end scores are more volatile.

My gut intuition is that super high scores (250s-270s) as more luck based than say a solid high range score (230s-250s). Sure, you prepare all you can but when it comes down to it if those hand full of killer questions that only 20% of people get right are in subjects that you're strong in, then it defines your score. You might get an exam that only has GI pharm which is our strong suite, with no neuro pharm that you weren't always sure aobut. You might get a test where all of the behavioral science questions are straight psych diagnoses and ego defense mechanisms instead of slightly more nebulous "what would you say next" quotes that for me at least are harder to be certain about.

I definitely agree with these statements, although I'd modify the former range you've given to say 265-275+ rather than 250-270. The most disconcerting aspect of the Step is exactly as you've mentioned: luck does play a huge role. It's very likely that each exam has a set number of easy, medium, hard and "killer" questions, but that the subject areas tested are at random, which explains why some people can come out saying they had absolutely no micro or anatomy, for example, while others can come out literally saying it was their whole exam.

In terms of my experience with Rx so far, ~3 Qs per 48-question block fall into the very tricky category, with usually one or two of those falling into the abstruse/absurdity category (meaning: "there's no way I would have gotten that even if I had studied another year."). For example, I had one asking about which carbon # on a particular medication's molecular structure would be the best position to add a nucleophilic inhibitory group. Now I mean, come on. If I hadn't been an organic chemistry minor in college, I wouldn't have had a clue, but I knew I got lucky since only 6% got it right. I remember saying, "why couldn't this have come up on the real exam..because obviously I couldn't get that lucky again." That's why we all pray for our strong suits to confront us. If I were to have an anatomy-heavy exam, for instance, I know for a fact I'd walk out in tears (and probably very humbled to say the least).

I therefore believe the purpose of doing thousands and thousands of questions is to, at the minimum, effectively shut the doors on all of the questions that >20% get right. Chances are, if more than one in five people can answer a question, the information can't be that ludicrous, and it most likely just takes study and time to get it down.

However, the occasional Qs that <10-15% get right are the true pivotal ones because, unlike the ~20% Qs, where the # answering correctly = the probability of a mere guess (presuming a five-choice question), these suggest that a "swinger" is involved (that is, a stimulus or piece of information that intentionally pushes people away from the correct answer). I've had consecutive blocks as low as 80% and others somehow at 96%, which has made me realize that the real exam is not "labile like the air, stable like the ground." It's labile like the air, period.

The thing is, the exam is designed to measure competency in a pass-fail method. It's not supposed to accurately measure the difference between 265 and 270. And I think most PDs consider that when they look at scores.

Of course, everybody realizes that 265 is an awesome score and 275 is a super-awesome score and that 285 is an unbelievable score. But if I had two applicants at 265 and 270, I'd consider both scores to be essentially equal... while I might not say the same about two applicants at 215 and 220.

anything above a certain value (prob 260) is esentially the same thing. the exam can only gauge your score with some error.

same as somone getting 5 points higher than you on an IQ test. your scores are actually the same.

especially true since anyone who scores super high (say 280) is almost guaranteed to score lower if they took the test again.

The thing is, the exam is designed to measure competency in a pass-fail method. It's not supposed to accurately measure the difference between 265 and 270. And I think most PDs consider that when they look at scores.

Of course, everybody realizes that 265 is an awesome score and 275 is a super-awesome score and that 285 is an unbelievable score. But if I had two applicants at 265 and 270, I'd consider both scores to be essentially equal... while I might not say the same about two applicants at 215 and 220.

To be honest...you make a good point that goes beyond your explanation. The original Step 1 was a P/F exam. You score did not matter, just the fact that you passed it.

I was reflecting on this the other day when trying to memorize useless information (i.e. viral classifications) and sort of saddened by the fact that residency directors have really manipulated an exam to be much more important than it actually should be in the long run.

Le sigh. Boards studying overload.

To be honest...you make a good point that goes beyond your explanation. The original Step 1 was a P/F exam. You score did not matter, just the fact that you passed it.

I was reflecting on this the other day when trying to memorize useless information (i.e. viral classifications) and sort of saddened by the fact that residency directors have really manipulated an exam to be much more important than it actually should be in the long run.

Le sigh. Boards studying overload.
It seems at least the less competitive specialties (IM for instance) have saner views concerning board scores.

Seems like even for the tip top IM programs, 240+ means they are evaluating you on other aspects of your application. Even rad onc (rightly so) focuses on research prowess when evaluating applicants.

Sorry OP, I know this is veering from the thread's topic.

The thing is, the exam is designed to measure competency in a pass-fail method. It's not supposed to accurately measure the difference between 265 and 270...if I had two applicants at 265 and 270, I'd consider both scores to be essentially equal... while I might not say the same about two applicants at 215 and 220.

anything above a certain value (prob 260) is esentially the same thing. the exam can only gauge your score with some error...especially true since anyone who scores super high (say 280) is almost guaranteed to score lower if they took the test again.

Both very good points. There likely is significant alpha-error in the upper (and lower) range, meaning that two applicants' hypothetical range of scores, if they were to sit the exam multiple times, would overlap, suggesting a statistical "no difference" even though their scores said there is. It's not that none of us couldn't come to realistic terms with that as much as it is the fact that Al Gore's famed "inconvenient truth" does extend beyond environmentalism to most everything else: in the end, with eight equally passionate, gregrarious, researched applicants converging on one spot, something must tip the boat.

bump...if more people can post their uworld percentages for the last couple of block they did and there real score that would be great.

Also, if people who are going to to be taken the exam, can post their percentages on uworld that would be great too.

I'm averaging 75% with ~40% left to go, nearly all random 46 Q blocks. I think I'll take NBME 6 this week to get a better gauge of where I'm really at, cuz that score calculator thing predicted around a 260 which I'm finding really hard to believe.

I've been around 64-68% as of late, and I just got 530 (228) on NBME 11. Haven't taken the real thing yet.

I'm on my second go around and averaging about 85%. So I don't know if that counts (I hope it does, ha). After my first pass through I think I finished at 63% overall.

im doing usmlerx now subject wise finished about 30 % my percentage is 86% with an estimation of 275 i believe it is just a worthless estimation nothing to be sure of still didnt start the usmleworld