Uworld vs AMBOSS for preclinical

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

and 99 others

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know Uworld is the gold standard for step studying but practice questions is how I learn best and I am struggling for preclinical so I want to incorporate qbanks into my studying. I have heard amboss might be a bit too broad for preclinical studying for in house exams but that Uworld is great. Just wanted to get some more opinions and experiences!

Members don't see this ad.

Amboss. It's good because it is challenging and the wiki associated with it is fantastic.

Save UWorld for near your dedicated period.

Reactions: 2 users
uWorld questions better represent NBME questions in content and style than Amboss. With p/f step1, I would not recommend saving uworld for dedicated.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should use UWorld as a test prep question bank. The studying you do should come from your courses (if your med school has a decent curriculum) and augmented by other sources such as First Aid, Pathoma, Rapid Review, etc. All of those provide you with the foundation and then you use the questions to hone your knowledge and to apply that knowledge in a setting that is relevant for standardized tests. I wouldn't use a question bank as a primary learning resource.

I like AMBOSS because you can read an article on say hemolytic anemia, then immediately do practice questions from that article & it’s built into the app. You can choose physiology vs pathology if you’re a 1st vs 2nd year, adjust for question difficulty, and immediately see where your knowledge gaps are. AMBOSS is a very versatile tool.

Both of them will get you to the same end point, just pick one you like and stay consistent with it. I used Amboss because I liked their library tool and the reference pictures had labels and highlights toggle on/off

You should use UWorld as a test prep question bank. The studying you do should come from your courses (if your med school has a decent curriculum) and augmented by other sources such as First Aid, Pathoma, Rapid Review, etc. All of those provide you with the foundation and then you use the questions to hone your knowledge and to apply that knowledge in a setting that is relevant for standardized tests. I wouldn't use a question bank as a primary learning resource.
I agree that the other resources should be supplements and I do use them in that capacity but my school doesn't have much practice problems and that's how I learn best, I've found. I'm just worried that the content on the qbanks may be too broad or framed differently to be applied to my in house exams

We have NBME exams during preclinical and Uworld was super clutch. I used amboss/Kaplan as well but uworld was the best of them in prepping for my exams