UWSOM ($35k/year) vs. Penn ($60k/year)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which school do you suggest?

• University of Washington

Votes: 37 72.5%
  • University of Pennsylvania

Votes: 14 27.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ScamProofLife

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
New member here. Decided to join and post this this question to you all since you seem to give great advice and opinions. I'm really torn between the University of Washington (in-state) vs. Penn (out-of-state).

I like Penn as a school more than the UW, however UW is cheaper (around $100,000 k over 4 years). My wife has a great stable job in Philly (though not her favorite) and we already live here. My family, on the other hand, is back out in WA, I like Seattle a lot better, and the hospital there is amazing. Which is considered a better school?

We've made one hell of a Pro/Con list and the scale doesn't seem to shift in either direction. I'm sick of comparing the too and think I've over thought the whole situation by now.

Anyone want to let me know your objective thoughts or give me some advice?
Much thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

UW is great. 25k less is even better. Unless your wife is going to have to make 25k less back in seattle I'd move back...

doesn't seem too easy. a lot of people will tell you penn largely because it has a higher ranking and people here tend to care a lot about that.

i'm inclined to tell you to go to penn because you like the school better, you're already settled there, and your wife has a good job there (is it possible that the cut in income she would take working in seattle might equal the extra 100k you save over four years?). what's so good about being near your family again in seattle? if it's for child care, i could see that making a difference in favor of u wash.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would telling you that I'm on the waitlist at UW make any advice I give completely biased and unusable? Haha.

No, really. If it was me, money and my extended family would be a big deal to me (hence I would choose UW). However, my significant other being happy would also be important. You say she doesn't necessarily LOVE her job there, right? Does she seem to think that she could find a job she likes more in Seattle?

Thanks.

There are plenty of job opportunities in Seattle - so I'm sure she'll find something she'll enjoy, and from what I've heard salaries are generally higher in Seattle than Philly. So losing $25k for her is probably unlikely...

Anyone else have any pearls of wisdom?
This is a really tough (and important decision)...

how are you a Washington resident and have a wife that works in Philly? You must have the largest organ on all of SDN!

I chose UW (but I'm also extremely biased)

Just like Dreambig I am also on the waitlist, but I am going to be objective.

Although money is important what school you like is also of importance, and maybe more. It is important that your decision is really the one you want and not based on money. I turned down the military scholarship, even though the money would have been nice, because of family and other more important issues.

In conclusions you have a difficult decision. If it were up to me I'd pick the school that I liked the most. So my vote for you is 80%towards Penn State.

I also have a friend who is going there. He absolutely loved the medical school @ Penn State. He also told me that it was ranked higher. Good luck with your decision. Let us know what you are thinking.

i vote for penn state (but i'm also extremely biased).