UWSOM vs UCSD vs Mayo AZ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peachezzzz

Reaction score
About me:

Married, did my undergrad in the PNW

Very outdoorsy, like to hike and run (played lax in college)

Prob interested in either primary care or a mid-competitive specialty (neuro, EM, anesthesia)

Like research but it isn't 100% do or die

UCSD ($)

Pros: Loved San Diego and love this school. Best interview day feeling by far, and I just got that great feeling here

Everyone seemed like they loved the school

Subsidized housing in La Jolla

Chance to solidify my spanish

Cons: Far from my family, less prestigious (?? not really sure if that's true)

UWSOM Seattle ($)

Pros: Close to family

Don't really care about residency but I'd want to practice in the PNW someday

More prestigious (??)

Cons: Didn't like the school as much when I interviewed. Students seemed stressed

Lower step scores

Weather!! I have mild SAD and I feel like this environment would make me more down during med school.

Mayo Clinic AZ ($$$)

Pros: Reputation, research

Cons: Cost, location, far from family

Help!! I am so stuck. Leaning towards either UCSD or UW

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like it really comes down to being close to family vs far from them. Think about how important that is and then decide from there. Would having your family close by make up for the difference in how much you liked the other schools more? If so then there's your decision. If not then you just need to decide on how big of a deal cost will be between ucsd and mayo. For your primary care interests, havingless debt may make it easier to go into those specialties. Prestige won't really matter for most of those as well. So it's really going to come down to cost. Mayo did seem like a great place for married couples when i visited there though (many of the medical students were married with kids).

Are financials any part of this decision? Because Mayo will likely have you covered for that. Also, Arizona is perfect for your hobbies. It’s sunny nearly all year long and is known for its hiking.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are financials any part of this decision? Because Mayo will likely have you covered for that. Also, Arizona is perfect for your hobbies. It’s sunny nearly all year long and is known for its hiking.

Yes finances are a big part of my decision. UCSD and UW are roughly the same, but I didn't get any aid from Mayo AZ, so the full COA is about $20,000+ more per year.

Yes finances are a big part of my decision. UCSD and UW are roughly the same, but I didn't get any aid from Mayo AZ, so the full COA is about $20,000+ more per year.
Okay then Mayo is out of the picture lol.

UCSD because it seems you like it more, and California weather aligns more with your hobbies. UWSOM may be more prestigious, but prestige isn’t really necessary for you if you’re not gunning for a competitive specialty.