UCSD vs UWSOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Viro Pre-med

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All, I've gotten an acceptance from both of these schools and would like some feedback to help make a final decision. I'm currently a CA resident so I'm eligible for in-state tuition, and received a tuition waiver to UW making the difference in costs negligible. I'm a UCSD alum and lived there for about 5 years in total, but I've always wanted to try and live in Seattle at some point in my life. In terms of ranking, I'm also viewing the two as comparable to each other, so I'm not taking that into consideration.

UCSD
Pros​
  • I have an existing professional network
  • Underserved community I want to work with in the future has a large presence
  • Decent support system, but mostly a professional support system than a personal one
  • Familiar with the region/area
  • Weather is great
  • I know some faculty, current students, and some alumni
  • Longer break before start of MS1 and a summer break between MS1 and MS2.
Cons​
  • Higher cost of living, may need roommates
  • Admissions office communication quality rubbed me the wrong way and didn't feel supported through application process
  • Curriculum still in flux as they're making changes

UWSOM
Pros​
  • Rotation sites gives me a breadth of rural and urban clinical settings
  • Close friends from childhood live here and can offer me a personal support system as well as some distant relatives I'm close to
  • New city to live in and explore. Loved it every time I visited
  • Felt supported through interview process by being connected to a lot of student-run resources and they were very communicative
  • Chance to expand and create a new professional network. I already have the groundwork for some of this set.
  • Can feel like a fresh/new chapter in life to pair with medical school
  • Lower cost of living. Can afford to live alone which I've appreciated
  • Experiencing all the seasons
  • Underserved community I want to work with in the future has a slightly smaller presence, but still exists
Cons​
  • Weather, but I've lived in Portland before and can tolerate the rain
  • New city, so I'd have to take the time to familiarize myself with it
  • Need to put in the effort to build a new professional network
  • Earlier start date (short break before quitting my job and starting school)
  • No real summer after MS1
I know the Pros/Cons list may differ in size, but not all of them are weighted equally. Please let me know what you think. There may be some factors that I haven't even considered.

Members don't see this ad.

It seems like you're craving a change of pace/scenery, so UWSOM would be perfect for that, since you've already gotten a feel for San Diego. It might be worth getting out of your comfort zone and starting fresh for med school! Congrats on both acceptances!

Reactions: 1 users
It seems like you're craving a change of pace/scenery, so UWSOM would be perfect for that, since you've already gotten a feel for San Diego. It might be worth getting out of your comfort zone and starting fresh for med school! Congrats on both acceptances!
Thank you, and thanks for highlighting the part of a change of scenery. I did get a change of scenery (that I've enjoyed) this past year by moving out of San Diego. Initially I wanted to move back for medical school, but then the UW opportunity came along and has really made me question whether I want to return to San Diego. I'm open to the new city, but am worried that it may be exhausting to be in a new city while also starting medical school at the same time. However, I think a great relaxing activity would be to explore the new city too.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
UW and UCSD are both great schools, but it seems UW wins since its cons appear to be much more manageable.

UW is also a stronger school (top 10) with better research opportunities and more prestige when it comes to the match.

But when you say curriculum change, is UCSD going to P/F clinicals? I doubt it. But if they were, that would be a reason to go there.

UW is also a stronger school (top 10) with better research opportunities and more prestige when it comes to the match.

But when you say curriculum change, is UCSD going to P/F clinicals? I doubt it. But if they were, that would be a reason to go there.
From what I've heard from friends that are current students, it definitely isn't going to be P/F clinicals.