Uwsom

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Regarding the MCAT.. I went to a second hand store and got the Princeton review study guides.

I read them twice. Did all the problems. And got pretty lucky that the test didn't show my weaknesses.

c

Members don't see this ad.

Did I scare y'all off with my last post, or what? It's awful quiet here.

I got my exit interview email yesterday. Guess that means it's really pretty much over. Stella says not to submit AMCAS until after your exit interview... but that means being complete late if you reapply this year. Anyone got any comments/perspectives on this?

For those who did well (>30) on the MCAT, how did you study?

Anyone else heard anything new about acceptances from the waitlist? Are we ALL sunk for this year?

Peace (and chicken grease)...

aahh scared? just a bit maybe, lol. then again, I'm #51, last person (I checked) on the ranked list. Have another acceptance, though so not re-applying (or complaining, for that matter...but feel a little jilted for being put on the alternate list...with little probability of getting in. oh well :p

as for the MCAT...I got a 33, took a UW campus-based study course and borrowed a med school friends' Kaplan books. Studied for like two months, and took TONS of practice exams...my main word of advice: if you take a study course, it'll help you stay disciplined but you gotta do the MAJORITY of your review by yourself, outside of class.

I ended up with a 35+ and I didn't take a class. To get that score I did three things which I think set me apart from other studiers. The key, which may sound obvious, is to study what you don't know. I got a B in physics but a 12 on the physcial science section.
1) I got the exam krakers book and memorized every bold word using flash cards. Each week I went through the whole stack which was around 1,000 and there would be 150 or so that I didn't satisfactorally know and I would study them throughout the week, putting the ones I seemed to memorize back in the big pile. Then, saturday I'd go back through the big pile and see what I had forgotten, adding them to the cards I studied throughout the week. Again focusing on what I didn't know.
2) Every week I took a AAMC practice test under the closest to real conditions as I could find. I sat at my dest in my office with headphones on and took the tests online. You have to be used to sitting still for 6 hours. Don't skip the essays either, they are trickier than you think and you can improve with practice. I really used the self diagnostic tools that the AAMC tests gave me. I tried to look for trends and figure out what types of mistakes I was making--were they content problems that could be solved by a better grasp of the science, stupid mistakes that came from misreading questions, or was I just totally off base? I tried to keep the first two categories as low as possible (<5% of my mistakes) because they are in your control, while there are always going to be some questions that you just don't get.
3) I listened to the exam krakers lectures all day at work. This really helped me to internalize all the information.

I didn't quit my job or do anything crazy, I studied for 8 weeks, 3-4 hours after work, 8 hours on saturday and 5-6 taking practice tests on sunday. They key is consistancy, discipline and honesty. Be brutal with yourself and what you don't know and work on it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Quick question for accepted people: have you received an enrollment confirmation package?

Quick question for accepted people: have you received an enrollment confirmation package?

I still haven't received the enrollment confirmation package, but I did call to get my PAC so that I could set up my UW email. The person I called to ask about this package was out of town until after Monday, so I'm going to call back on Tuesday to find out if something should have received by now.

I haven’t received my ECA either. I called admissions and they forwarded me to student affairs. Once I finally got a hold of someone in student affairs they forwarded me back to admissions. If you find anything out let us know. Who did you call to get the info for the UW email account?

I haven’t received my ECA either. I called admissions and they forwarded me to student affairs. Once I finally got a hold of someone in student affairs they forwarded me back to admissions. If you find anything out let us know. Who did you call to get the info for the UW email account?

I called the Registration Office at 206-543-8580. I already had my student number from other written communications from the school and the registration office was able to give me my private access code. Then I just went to MyUW and set up my email account. You can also look at your financial aid info on MyUW and accept or reject the aid they offer you so its a handy site.

Ok thanks. I'll have to call because I am trying to figure out stuff like financial aid and it is hard without having a student ID number!

To those who are still waiting for an enrollment confirmation package, I spoke with someone today in student affairs and apparently these packages are supposed to be sent out today. So, hopefully we'll get them in the next week or so.

curious, has anyone checked in on the waitlist recently? how far has it moved?

curious, has anyone checked in on the waitlist recently? how far has it moved?

I've been too depressed by the news last time I called... and also too busy with work and life and such. But I'm sort of hankering to know so I might call.

Ok fine. The power of suggestion is... amazing. I called. Yes... since I posted two and a half seconds ago.

No new acceptances since last time I called, so they've taken 30. Either #31 or #32 withdrew from the waitlist, which means I'm now #47. 99 of the accepted folks have firmly accepted their position. While they can still change their minds if they get accepted elsewhere, this leaves very little hope for those of us left.

So... start wishing for all the other waitlists in the country to move! A lot!!

Sigh.

I'm wishing hard for you, HIVdoc!

Man, I finally got an e-mail from Stella and they've scheduled my exit interview for August 11th...Did anyone else get an appointment so late? I feel like I'm already screwed over the for the next application cycle. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, lgibb. I've pretty much resigned myself to applying again, but some tiny corner of my heart just won't let go of the idea that it *might* happen.

My exit interview was originally scheduled for late June (which they knew!! I told Stella I'd be out of the state for three weeks and she said she'd put that in my file) - so I had to reschedule. It's now July 31 or something like that. I figure, I'm pretty sure the only glaringly wrong thing on my app is my MCAT, so I'll submit AMCAS within the next couple weeks but only list one school that I'm not head-over-heels crazy about, deal with the MCAT, and see what happens. If the MCAT score sucks, or if C. Teitz has some other beef with my app, then I won't bother to add schools. If Teitz gives the all clear and the MCAT score is good, I'll add on schools. It'll still be later than ideal, but hopefully not HORRIBLY so.

But yeah, given how much emphasis everyone (at least on SDN, but I've heard the same elsewhere) puts on applying early, not getting feedback so you can submit AMCAS until August puts us a little behind in the game. If we'd gotten rejected outright, we'd be better off, timeline-wise... although they *might* then have more severe critiques of our apps that wouldn't be fixable without another year off. Or not - who knows why they reject.

Writing another personal statement makes me want to gouge my eyes out. With a fork.

Any other waitlisters still lurking and want to share their plans for next year?

Last edited:
Ok fine. The power of suggestion is... amazing. I called. Yes... since I posted two and a half seconds ago.

No new acceptances since last time I called, so they've taken 30. Either #31 or #32 withdrew from the waitlist, which means I'm now #47. 99 of the accepted folks have firmly accepted their position. While they can still change their minds if they get accepted elsewhere, this leaves very little hope for those of us left.

So... start wishing for all the other waitlists in the country to move! A lot!!

Sigh.

aw, dang. well, thanks for asking though :)

Its not too late. I didn't even START my AMCAS applications until October last year.

::looks mournfully at stack of rejection letters, then stack of MCAT study materials, then back again::

anyone got anything new to report, in any arena?

Starting my new AMCAS application for 2008!
UW, Oregon and the Yakima DO school are the only schools I'm applying to.

Good Luck HIVDoc and the rest of you all!

hey- I am not sure if this information was updated on this thread, but here are the class sizes and number of people taken off the UWSOM wait list in the past few years:
class size- year:
216- 2008
196- 2007
181-2006
180- 2005

number from wait list- year:
34- 2007
40- 2006
29- 2005
31- 2004
39- 2003

I spoke with Stella this past Tuesday....just like I have every Tuesday since I found out I was on the wait list....sad. Anyhow- they accepted up through number 31 on Monday. Number 32 (?) and 34 (?) removed themselves from the wait list. I was originally #38...but I like to say I am now #5. Stella said there are still a few more people who are accepted into both UWSOM and another school and are holding both positions (bastards!!!). Apparently they HAVE to choose by the end of June or they will lose their spot at UW...
My exit interview with the Dean is this Wed. Does anyone have more advice/ experience about the interview?? I am super nervous.

hey- I am not sure if this information was updated on this thread, but here are the class sizes and number of people taken off the UWSOM wait list in the past few years:
class size- year:
216- 2008
196- 2007
181-2006
180- 2005

number from wait list- year:
34- 2007
40- 2006
29- 2005
31- 2004
39- 2003

I spoke with Stella this past Tuesday....just like I have every Tuesday since I found out I was on the wait list....sad. Anyhow- they accepted up through number 31 on Monday. Number 32 (?) and 34 (?) removed themselves from the wait list. I was originally #38...but I like to say I am now #5. Stella said there are still a few more people who are accepted into both UWSOM and another school and are holding both positions (bastards!!!). Apparently they HAVE to choose by the end of June or they will lose their spot at UW...
My exit interview with the Dean is this Wed. Does anyone have more advice/ experience about the interview?? I am super nervous.

Hey, thanks for the super info! I'm still not gonna get in (I'm now ~#15), but it's good to know how things are going. Good luck...

If anyone's reading this or checking still, I just thought I'd share the good news. Seems that our buddy Dane was just accepted to Georgetown SoM (off the waitlist, I would assume at this point?). Congratulations, Dane! That's one less of our number that has to go through this entire torturous process again (he's already done it twice).

Meanwhile... who from this thread last year is knee-deep in reapplying, besides me?

anyone still on here?
I got accepted on Friday.
Yea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anyone still on here?
I got accepted on Friday.
Yea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good work sir! I am impressed. You beat the odds and you deserve every bit of it. Now go out and relax for as long as possible before August. You will not regret it for one minute. Don't bother "saving money", that's what loans are for anyway.

This year, you can tell the first alaska waitlister that they are a shoe-in for the next year. Med school is awesome. Though I'm not in my native state while studying, if you want it as bad as you think you do, you'll like the long and arduous process of the first two years of lecture.

Congrats my friend. You did what you needed to do, and the work has paid off. I know the feeling, and I'm sure you are enjoying every second of it....truthfully, the feeling probably won't fade for a while either!

it would be great to hear something from uwsom '09 bunch-- how interview season is going etc..

stacep: This year's students are on:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=539645&page=13

Dane: Thanks for all the encouragement and congratulations to you as well! You are in Georgetown? I just quit my job and am staying home with my daughter for the rest of the school year. My wife will have to support us now while I play Mr. Mom and full-time student for the forseeable future!

Thanks! and Good Luck!