thaddeus

7+ Year Member
Aug 13, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Hello sage SDNers, does anyone have a good rubric for coming up with a V20 dose constraint in a lung cancer patient with a collapsed lobe due to tumor obstruction? I'm planning a patient with a RUL collapse currently; the usual V20 < 30% constraint is easily met, but obviously there is a lot of RUL lung parenchyma getting high dose that is not contoured as lung. I think a more conservative constraint would be appropriate, but not sure how conservative it needs to be. Thoughts?

radmonckey

SDN Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Aug 6, 2013
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Hello sage SDNers, does anyone have a good rubric for coming up with a V20 dose constraint in a lung cancer patient with a collapsed lobe due to tumor obstruction? I'm planning a patient with a RUL collapse currently; the usual V20 < 30% constraint is easily met, but obviously there is a lot of RUL lung parenchyma getting high dose that is not contoured as lung. I think a more conservative constraint would be appropriate, but not sure how conservative it needs to be. Thoughts?

If you are meeting V20<30% already you are likely fine, as that is already slightly conservative. I typically think of 35-37% as the upper limits. Additionally in your favor is that the upper lobe is less important than the middle/lower lobes.

I think you are wise to be mindful of the idea of dose to the unaerated lobe, but I am not familiar with a mathematical way to account for this other than applying common sense. If you get overly conservative you may just end up driving dose centrally to the heart/esophagus which could be bad.

Reactions: 1 users

thaddeus

7+ Year Member
Aug 13, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
thanks radmonckey! will sleep better with your reassurance.

seper

10+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2010
Status (Visible)
It's probably too simplistic, but I personally think of atelectatic lung as damaged beyond hope already.

Reactions: 1 users
About the Ads
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.