VA Hospital PIV badge and government rate discounts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thRob

Phi Shy Guy
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever successfully used their VA hospital PIV or regular ID card to get the government rate on things like hotels, car rentals, etc while traveling on non-government business?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yep. Can be done. While I was a med student I know of people who:

1) trip to Vegas with government rate for very nice hotels for spring break
2) discounts on hotels during 4th year interview season
3) car rental with deeply discounted rate (one girl got it for free though not sure how)
4) regular discounts on movies

One of our residents said they managed to use their PIV badge to go through the express line during airport security. Since you are a badged federal employee, it might just work.

I have heard of residents and fellows, though not med students, using their VA ID to get gov't rate on hotel rooms.
I don't believe it it illegal or anything...
Part of it might depend on how much of a stickler the hotel employee is, especially if your badge says "medical student" but a lot of times they may not care, especially if the hotel is not full.

My badge just has my name in it. It doesn't have anything else really that would identify me as a student, resident, or whatever.

I've been riding the VA ID gravy train since I got it.

Airport security, discounted train/hotel/skiing tickets, basically anything that offers a military discount.

I've been asked once or twice if I was active military, I say no, and have still never been denied any of these benefits. I don't feel like it's cheating...it's a government, military branch ID.

I'm getting everything I can out of this indentured servitude...

Are VA discounts on personal business a taxable benefit?

I've been riding the VA ID gravy train since I got it.

Airport security, discounted train/hotel/skiing tickets, basically anything that offers a military discount.

I've been asked once or twice if I was active military, I say no, and have still never been denied any of these benefits. I don't feel like it's cheating...it's a government, military branch ID.

I'm getting everything I can out of this indentured servitude...

The VA is not part of the military. Related, obviously, but it isn't run by the DoD.

Yep. Can be done. While I was a med student I know of people who:

1) trip to Vegas with government rate for very nice hotels for spring break
2) discounts on hotels during 4th year interview season
3) car rental with deeply discounted rate (one girl got it for free though not sure how)
4) regular discounts on movies

which hotels? my friend couldn't find a single hotel when he tried. lol

Just so we're clear - you all recognize this is illegal, right? Fraud?

Government rates are only allowed to be used on government business, not personal. It's a fireable offense for federal employees. Residents who have privileges to practice at a government hospital are not federal employees, and they're certainly not members of the military. Also, as noted above, the VA is not part of the military, it is its own federal agency. Employees of the VA are not members of the military. So utilizing a military discount would be defrauding whatever company is giving you a discount you earned through misrepresenting the facts (impersonating a member of the military), as would utilizing a government discount by misrepresenting that you're on government business.

Government rates are only allowed to be used on government business, not personal. It's a fireable offense for federal employees. Residents who have privileges to practice at a government hospital are not federal employees, and they're certainly not members of the military. Also, as noted above, the VA is not part of the military, it is its own federal agency. Employees of the VA are not members of the military. So utilizing a military discount would be defrauding whatever company is giving you a discount you earned through misrepresenting the facts (impersonating a member of the military), as would utilizing a government discount by misrepresenting that you're on government business.

Where did you get this information from? I just looked up government rates at hotels, and it looks like many hotels (Marriott, Best Western, etc) explicitly state that the government rate is for government employees for both business and personal trips. It seems like it's more an incentive they offer to attract business rather than an official government thing, which makes me wonder why it would be a fireable offense if you took advantage of it.

Where did you get this information from? I just looked up government rates at hotels, and it looks like many hotels (Marriott, Best Western, etc) explicitly state that the government rate is for government employees for both business and personal trips. It seems like it's more an incentive they offer to attract business rather than an official government thing, which makes me wonder why it would be a fireable offense if you took advantage of it.

I don't know if this is what squints was referring to, but I believe that accepting a government rate, receiving a free upgrade, etc., are considered by the federal government to be a type of gift. There are very draconion rules that govern gifts received by federal employees, so I think - strictly speaking - these types of discounts are off-limits unless on official business. Even the "military appreciation days" at the local McDonald's are technically a no-go, I believe.

Of course, the rules are intended to prevent bribery and kick-backs, so pretty much everyone looks the other way for the little things. But that is also a separate issue from people claiming to be government employees when they're not. I'm not all up in arms about people doing it, because I feel like it's incumbent on the business to recognize whom should and should not receive a discount. But it's not something that I would feel comfortable doing.

I don't know if this is what squints was referring to, but I believe that accepting a government rate, receiving a free upgrade, etc., are considered by the federal government to be a type of gift. There are very draconion rules that govern gifts received by federal employees, so I think - strictly speaking - these types of discounts are off-limits unless on official business. Even the "military appreciation days" at the local McDonald's are technically a no-go, I believe.

Of course, the rules are intended to prevent bribery and kick-backs, so pretty much everyone looks the other way for the little things. But that is also a separate issue from people claiming to be government employees when they're not. I'm not all up in arms about people doing it, because I feel like it's incumbent on the business to recognize whom should and should not receive a discount. But it's not something that I would feel comfortable doing.

At least at the VA, our ethics training has never said anything about discounts. Historically my understanding regarding government rates was that they came from the notion that government employees are generally less well compensated than private sector employees yet do good for society. We're more cynical about the government now, so maybe that sentiment no longer holds. However, it seems like they've always been something entirely outside of bribes and true government business and whatnot.

Anyway, I don't claim them, and I agree that it's somewhat deceitful for a resident who isn't directly employed by the VA (some are).

At least at the VA, our ethics training has never said anything about discounts. Historically my understanding regarding government rates was that they came from the notion that government employees are generally less well compensated than private sector employees yet do good for society. We're more cynical about the government now, so maybe that sentiment no longer holds. However, it seems like they've always been something entirely outside of bribes and true government business and whatnot.

Anyway, I don't claim them, and I agree that it's somewhat deceitful for a resident who isn't directly employed by the VA (some are).

I'm not sure about you DB, but I was under the impression most of the people here were talking about situations where they have privileges to practice at VA hospitals, but are employed by non-federal institutions, generally universities. Those people are not government employees.

I'm not sure about you DB, but I was under the impression most of the people here were talking about situations where they have privileges to practice at VA hospitals, but are employed by non-federal institutions, generally universities. Those people are not government employees.

Incorrect. Residents at least at university programs are state government employees that are paid through government funding. Residents in at least some states qualify for free DEA/DPS # renewal due to working for the government. I have not worked in every state to make a broader statement. It would seem silly that receiving a discount would be disallowed from hotels, but allowed by individual state governments for free dea/DPS numbers.

I don't see how hotel "discounts" would not be allowed for residents assuming the discount applies to state government employees - many do. I put "discounts" in quotes because if you look around enough then you notice that the internet rate is frequently cheaper than the government rate.

Has anyone ever successfully used their VA hospital PIV or regular ID card to get the government rate on things like hotels, car rentals, etc while traveling on non-government business?
Did you go to war? Did you risk your life to protect freedom in the United States? If not, using the card to skip waiting at airport lines, rent cars for cheaps, get shopping discounts, hotel discounts, makes you no different than the guy in the following video.

You are a piece of turd.
Yes, plenty of Veterans milk the VA for the very last cent, but you are a doctor, or doctor to be. Especially if you are a doctor, and if you engage in this behavior, shame on you.

Did you go to war? Did you risk your life to protect freedom in the United States? If not, using the card to skip waiting at airport lines, rent cars for cheaps, get shopping discounts, hotel discounts, makes you no different than the guy in the following video.

You are a piece of turd.
Yes, plenty of Veterans milk the VA for the very last cent, but you are a doctor, or doctor to be. Especially if you are a doctor, and if you engage in this behavior, shame on you.

So the military are the only government employees who get discounts for being a government employee?

So the military are the only government employees who get discounts for being a government employee?

Agree the whole "did you go to war" comment is foolish. I worked for a non- military, non-VA, government office at one point and we got government rates at hotels and it has absolutely nothing to do with soldiering.