VA Internship Paperwork/Startup Security Questions...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twomarshmallows

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I matched to a fantastic VA internship and am SO excited. At the moment, I'm a little confused by a few things that have come up as I'm starting the paperwork - hoping a few people on the forum can advise (or at least commiserate).

First, when I go to the TMS website to start the training, my computer (a Mac) warns me that I'm about to access a nonsecure site, and provides no option to proceed to the site. I'm going to try to access on a PC at work this week, but has anyone else had this issue?

Second (and this is the one I'm least comfortable asking about as a trainee), we have hiring paperwork to fill out, copies of IDs, etc., to provide, all being requested electronically over email. Am I crazy to think this is less than ideal, given everything I've learned about unencrypted email servers and HIPPA? I'm not jazzed about sending my SSN, pictures of my license, etc. using my school or gmail account. Unfortunately, I'm even less excited about the idea of using a file transfer option that calls an admin person out on security issues and makes more work for them. As a former admin myself, I could not be more aware of how many balls these people are likely trying to keep in the air at any given moment...

Do I just take the risk that someone will want to steal my identity (and student debt in the process :laugh:)? And any workarounds or intel on why the training site upsets my laptop? Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

I've managed to use TMS on my Mac occasionally, but I definitely recommend whatever configuration of OS + browser suggesting these days. I once "lost" a course because it couldn't handle chrome at the time.

I was also very uncomfortable sending all that stuff via email. Once you're in the system, you'll be able to send encrypted emails. You can call and ask if there's a way to fax or FedEx everything, but of course hard copies aren't guaranteed to stay put either. :confused:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! TMS didn't give me any trouble on my PC at work, so if anyone else has that problem, I guess that's the best fix. My OS was up to date per the instructions I received, so still unclear what the problem was.

Our instructions explicitly stated that email is the only option for submitting our paperwork. Feels pretty strange to send a certificate of training along with my private information using a method I just learned NOT to use for such things during said training, but I guess that's government for ya!

Thanks! TMS didn't give me any trouble on my PC at work, so if anyone else has that problem, I guess that's the best fix. My OS was up to date per the instructions I received, so still unclear what the problem was.

Our instructions explicitly stated that email is the only option for submitting our paperwork. Feels pretty strange to send a certificate of training along with my private information using a method I just learned NOT to use for such things during said training, but I guess that's government for ya!

I would follow up with them and say you feel email isn't secure and ask for alternatives. They should be able to accommodate you. Or maybe you can scan the documents, save as a PDF, password protect that, and then let them know somehow?

Or, as WisNeuro says, don't worry, because once OMB gets hacked again and you're in the system, it won't matter anyway.

Just a quick thought from someone who has been in the system. The VA HR dept is notoriously slow and incompetent anyway. So, if you ask for alternatives, chances are 1) the person has no idea and will tell you that there is no alternative, because they are too lazy to actually ask someone, 2) they will give you an alternative, it will take much longer than normal (which is very long) and may delay some start dates, 3) you send in paper copies and they just get lost or sent to the wrong place.

Reactions: 1 users
Just a quick thought from someone who has been in the system. The VA HR dept is notoriously slow and incompetent anyway. So, if you ask for alternatives, chances are 1) the person has no idea and will tell you that there is no alternative, because they are too lazy to actually ask someone, 2) they will give you an alternative, it will take much longer than normal (which is very long) and may delay some start dates, 3) you send in paper copies and they just get lost or sent to the wrong place.

I'm going through something similar - credentialing process at a military hospital! I'm in month 5 and what WiseNeuro said is very true. I also did my internship at a VA hospital. Any minor deviation from the standard process always seems to throw HR off. I try to give them benefit of the doubt and not conclude it's laziness, but after dealing with government HR staff in various settings, many times that is the case.