PhD/PsyD VA Internship Telehealth/Telework

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Are you able to provide telehealth services from home?

• Yes - can use VVC from home

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • No - need to be on site at the VA to "see" Veterans

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters

Waimea_OA

Reaction score
I'm at a VA site for internship. We're not yet approved to do either telehealth or telework from home but we're still seeing patients 100% on VVC (need to be on-site at the VA only to engage in remote work). It's a pretty inefficient system that also requires a fair amount of risk in traveling to a hospital during a pandemic. I'm wondering about the policies and practices of other VA internship sites. If you're at a VA internship, can you please fill out this quick survey?

Link: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1q4wk5oZ6_JMGO6hS3DSUYh4PhVqqpjxyzIbB2zPx9c8/edit

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Is this for a research project? General curiosity? Just wondering how the data will be used.
General curiosity/hoping to obtain more flexibility around performing telehealth services from home. Traveling to a hospital during a pandemic only to do telehealth services doesn't seem to be the wisest arrangement.

Members don't see this ad :)
General curiosity/hoping to obtain more flexibility around performing telehealth services from home. Traveling to a hospital during a pandemic only to do telehealth services doesn't seem to be the wisest arrangement.

While I can understand the effort, I don't think Regional is going to be persuaded by an informal SDN poll. Better bet would be to have AVAPL do some advocacy.

My local VA is doing this as well, despite many VAs around the country working from home effectively and our state seeing terrible COVID numbers. Good luck fighting against the VA machine.

Reactions: 1 users
This was the same with my VA internship. There's nothing you can do to change the set up unless you happen to be best friends with the Chief of Staff

Good luck with that. I have a feeling that this will be complicated by an individual site's interpretation of supervision requirements from OAA/OGC and management of supervisors more than anything else.

Reactions: 2 users
Our VA did that, too (all staff, not just trainees). Telework was allowed but a lot of people were denied due to concerns about productivity etc.

Last edited:
I have a feeling that this will be complicated by an individual site's interpretation of supervision requirements from OAA/OGC and management of supervisors more than anything else.
This type of VA variability kills me. I’m in a fully virtual role and able to supervise interns doing VVC apts. But I know other fully virtual psychologists in other systems who can’t.

Or if they are supervising, the person who gets workload credit is the designated ‘on-site coverage’ clinician who has no connection to the trainee except to be there for emergencies.

This type of VA variability kills me. I’m in a fully virtual role and able to supervise interns doing VVC apts. But I know other fully virtual psychologists in other systems who can’t.

Or if they are supervising, the person who gets workload credit is the designated ‘on-site coverage’ clinician who has no connection to the trainee except to be there for emergencies.
RE: on-site supervision, if a trainee is seeing patients in-person, they need to have someone on-site, and that person on-site would likely receive the workload credit, as they'd probably be signing the note and were responsible for the intern during that patient appointment.

If you're the one supervising the intern remotely (and they're seeing patients remotely), and the on-site person is just providing backup supervision in case something happens in-person or the intern needs to urgently track someone down, you should probably be getting the workload credit. You would just want to be sure the patients are scheduled in your clinics (or an intern/trainee clinic).

Buuuut every site can be different. If it's written in the site's training SOPs and such that way, then that's just how it is until it's changed.

In general, my take is that sites prefer to have interns on site, as they're better able to manage the overall training experience, and resources are typically more readily-available and easily-accessible for the trainees. However, even if a site allows trainees to perform some amount of telework, that doesn't mean all trainees will be appropriate for telework. It can depend on multiple variables such as what rotation(s) they're on and what type of work they're doing, what type/degree/intensity of supervision and development the training program has determined is appropriate for them, if they're on or have been on any type of probation plan, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
It seems super messed up to me that during a pandemic, staff could be teleworking from home but trainees having to come onsite. I get that some experiences are impossible to complete in this modality (i.e., inpatient, CLC) but for outpatient therapy, supervisors can provide in-session supervision by joining the same VVC session with their trainee...I don't understand coming on-site to do telehealth appts...

I remember seeing a document go out from VA a few months prior stating their stance re: approving telehealth supervision for trainees so I assume that as someone above said, this is more of an OAA interpretation issue. Or the site is not allowing staff to telework either (regardless of whether they're supervising)...so it's bigger than just a training issue.

To the original poster, I appreciate your efforts to advocate for yourself. As someone above mentioned, AVAPL could be a great resource to look into. I felt a lot of support from AVAPL as a staff in the beginning of the pandemic when I was still having to go onsite, being told not to wear face coverings etc...I would consider joining if you haven't already... (I believe it's free this year?) A lot of great topics like this are discussed on the listserv! And you might find additional support there.

Last edited: