VA Mental Health Provider Venting / Problem-solving / Peer Support Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you, Mercury in Taurus! So many of your experiences mirror mine. It's helpful to not feel alone, especially as I start applying to my first "grown up" position. My current top choice is a hospital system where I previously trained and was stopped by a physician because he didn't think my badge was real. He wouldn't let me go see my patient until my supervisor showed up and legitimized me. My badge has been scrutinized everywhere I've worked, but this was the most egregious.

My second choice is an academic medical setting I've interviewed with a couples of times where my only real interaction with it involves talking to one of the trainees who responded to me from their personal email for very valid reasons. It also has a distinctive reputation as many AMCs do.

My third choice is a VA where black patients would stop me in the hall to ask what I do and were thrilled to hear I was working on becoming a psychologist. Knowing nothing else about me, they would tell me how proud they were of my accomplishments. They would share that I reminded them of a granddaughter or sibling. They felt happy upcoming Veterans would have someone who looks like them and it was almost always tinged with sadness that they didn't have the same opportunities. That is an amazing, powerful, and devastating experience. The weight of that is immense and I never take it lightly. Never. I also did this work as several of my white clients were determined to get my opinions on BLM and "educate" me on social justice matters because I presented as "one of the good ones" and would "listen to reason." I watched the memorial of George Floyd and sobbed in my home office as I stood up for 8 minutes and 46. I went to work the next day. I ran groups and I had to regulate myself enough to hold space for the people who didn't understand the value of his life and the people who were shattered by his death and the aftermath. Fortunately, these weren't process groups and I could steer the conversation elsewhere. I worked with a lot of police officers and many shared intense ambivalence about their own actions. These were transformative interactions because of who we were in those moments. They were incredibly difficult cases that required significant growth in clinical skills very quickly.

I did the work with amazing supervisors who were so good at asking me the right questions for growth and introspection. I got to ask them and myself poignant questions about navigating overwhelming options and that facilitated productive experiences. However, I was only able to have that experience with the hard-won knowledge of other students of color. They shared who was "safe" and "unsafe" to have these conversations with. Now I pass on that same information. Almost every black student interviewee who has seen me on the panel will reach out to ask if they will be okay. I give them honest, but fair answers.

My rambling aside, I'm definitely just going to start asking for clarification during interviews when they ask about diversity, and I hope I can stop interviewing soon.
Seriously - thank you to you and Mercury In Taurus for your vulnerability. It's f***ed up that you have to do all of this work for a problem created and imposed by others. I will carry with me what you've both shared here and will also discuss with our training committee as interview season is around the corner.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
I have my first job offer. It's a VA. I am relieved and terrified all at the same time. I think I will potentially hear back from one of the non-VA positions as well. The VA position oddly seems like an easier gig. The AMC is still leaving me on read.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
I have my first job offer. It's a VA. I am relieved and terrified all at the same time. I think I will potentially hear back from one of the non-VA positions as well. The VA position oddly seems like an easier gig. The AMC is still leaving me on read.

In terms of actual workload, VAs tend to be easier gigs than most. It's more about if you want to deal with what comes with the easier gig.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! As @WisNeuro said, VA tends to be the easier gig in terms of workload. However, you may spend that time stuck dealing with bureaucracy.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks, everyone! The VA position might be where I land! It is a tempting offer.

AMC said no. I think I will join the VA club. I'm already planning how I want to decorate my office. By decorating, I mean printing off the session outlines of EBPs and putting them into pretty binders with matching divider tabs. Unicorn stickers are professional, right?

AMC said no. I think I will join the VA club. I'm already planning how I want to decorate my office. By decorating, I mean printing off the session outlines of EBPs and putting them into pretty binders with matching divider tabs. Unicorn stickers are professional, right?
Nah.

I'd recommend 'Process Based CBT,' 'Doing CBT,' or any number of other books...

Become ungovernable :).

Most of my supervision questions are how to thoughtfully break the protocol because it rarely fits my really complicated cases.

I plan on being a handful wherever I go. Rebellion!

I am looking at the GS payscale and GS-12 really seems to throw things off. GS-12 is roughly $20,000 less than the average starting salary of a clinical psychologist in this area. It seems to make more sense for someone to leave for a year and come back later, so they can come in as a GS-13. Why is the VA weird?

I am looking at the GS payscale and GS-12 really seems to throw things off. GS-12 is roughly $20,000 less than the average starting salary of a clinical psychologist in this area. It seems to make more sense for someone to leave for a year and come back later, so they can come in as a GS-13. Why is the VA weird?
Any chance you're looking at the regular GS scale and not the one with locality factored in? I'm in a super low CoL area and I still get 13k added on top of the base GS scale. If not, then your area could be unique and folks wanting those VA jobs might be choosing the hours/benefits/etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Any chance you're looking at the regular GS scale and not the one with locality factored in? I'm in a super low CoL area and I still get 13k added on top of the base GS scale. If not, then your area could be unique and folks wanting those VA jobs might be choosing the hours/benefits/etc.
Yeah, it's factored in, unfortunately. After moving from GS-12 to GS-13, it's much more comparable. There is just that year of lower income.

Yeah, it's factored in, unfortunately. After moving from GS-12 to GS-13, it's much more comparable. There is just that year of lower income.
Not uncommon unfortunately. I came out better financially working in the private arena for a few years and coming back after the GS-13 rate was a bit higher. That said, if it is a job you want, take it now. It might not be there in the future.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you unlicensed?

Hey all, lurker here (mostly podiatry forums). Random question:

Out of curiosity, for those VA clinical staff exempted from the COVID vaccine(s) for religious/medical reasons, what is the current VA policy for PPE, testing, etc.?

EDIT: did not mean to hijack the thread... This appears to be the only active VA thread I could find on SDN. Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Hey all, lurker here (mostly podiatry forums). Random question:

Out of curiosity, for those VA clinical staff exempted from the COVID vaccine(s) for religious/medical reasons, what is the current VA policy for PPE, testing, etc.?

EDIT: did not mean to hijack the thread... This appears to be the only active VA thread I could find on SDN. Thanks for your help.
My may also ask the Occupational Health/Employee Health Department of your local VA to find out the first hand information about the facility procedures and enforcement of the policy.

Yeah, I'm a postdoc at a VA right now.
VA is a great place for early career. It offers a sense of job security while obtaining license. So that we don't feel so pressured about passing the EPPP, which is a very stressful process. No need for any additional stress. You get tons of free CEUs through the TMS training. National network of other provider through listservs...

Licensure can be a lengthy process depending upon your location. I applied for two states at the same time; one was issued in mid-August and the other is still pending. When I called two weeks ago, I was told that my application has not yet been assigned to anyone for education review as they are still processing applications submitted a month prior to mine. GS-12 pay is not bad at all in comparison to having to wait for a license to be employable in private settings. Other federal and state agencies also hire unlicensed psychologists, but it doesn't sound that is your preferred career path. :)

Reactions: 4 users
VA is a great place for early career. It offers a sense of job security while obtaining license. So that we don't feel so pressured about passing the EPPP, which is a very stressful process.
Totally agree! I also think the bureaucracy of the VA can be helpful for a 1st job in that your position likely won't experience any significant changes given how long it takes the VA to adapt lol
Yeah, I'm a postdoc at a VA right now.
I pulled up an old GS-12 paystub of mine and yes, while the GS-12 salary could likely be low for some regions, federal benefits are likely significantly better. In addition to my contributions, every 2 weeks, the govt was kicking in $417 towards my FERS retirement account, $117 for TSP matching, $29 for TSP basic, and $228 for health care (along with $41 for medicare and $118 for SDI contributions). None of it is direct cash that can be spent today but it definitely builds up over 26 paychecks (withholding 5% each paycheck for TSP across 26 paychecks is over $3,000 and the FERS contributions clock over $10,000).

Absolutely professional. I find that adorable office supplies make my day so much brighter. Also, sometimes my patients comment on them!

I would agree--having a stable position while you pursue licensure can help mitigate some of the stress of that process. You'll still have a deadline, after which they will terminate if you don't complete licensure, but I'd be surprised if you don't get good or great support from the other psychologists on-site.

Salaries for unlicensed positions can be all over the place. VA is at least a known quantity.

Most of the licensure process should hopefully be wrapped up by the end postdoc. I sit for the EPPP soon and the jurisprudence exam is scheduled at least two times before my likely start date. I get to walk out with my license in my hands after the jurisprudence exam. The VA position is pretty widely available and not one of the more competitive positions here like PCMHI or Whole Health. I haven't been formally offered the other position, so I might be spinning my wheels for nothing. If the other site says no, I will definitely take the VA position. If they say yes, the money and longer commute might make it harder decision.

I still get to buy pretty folders and stickers either way.

Reactions: 5 users
This isn’t specific to the VA but I thought some of you may have some insight. I had assumed that federal raises would match the COLA amount determined. However, this year’s COLA was set at around 6% and the federal pay raise was just announced at 2.2% with a tiny percentage more for certain locations. How is this fair? And does anybody know how they determine the annual pay increase?

This isn’t specific to the VA but I thought some of you may have some insight. I had assumed that federal raises would match the COLA amount determined. However, this year’s COLA was set at around 6% and the federal pay raise was just announced at 2.2% with a tiny percentage more for certain locations. How is this fair? And does anybody know how they determine the annual pay increase?

COLA for certain federal things (SS and like benefits) is not the same as COLA increases for federal salaries. AFAIK they are voted on differently. Some years, sometimes many years in a row, VA employees will see no adjustments.

COLA for certain federal things (SS and like benefits) is not the same as COLA increases for federal salaries. AFAIK they are voted on differently. Some years, sometimes many years in a row, VA employees will see no adjustments.
That’s garbage.

considering a psychologist position at a local vet center. I have been at a large main VA hospital for five years. What do you think a vet center would be like?

considering a psychologist position at a local vet center. I have been at a large main VA hospital for five years. What do you think a vet center would be like?

Only know indirectly from other colleagues' reports, no direct experience. From hearing a few stories, Vet Centers have a lot more variability than VA hospitals. Some people hated them, some loved them, and the environments seemed pretty variable. Vets seem to like the VCs better, in general, than coming to the large med centers.

That’s garbage.
You don't love that, The FERS pension cost of living went up by just 4.9%. By the time I retire, that pension is just going to be my cocktail budget.

Last edited:
  • Haha
You don't love that, The FERS pension cost of living went up by just 4.9%. By the time I retire, that pension is just going to be my cocktail budget.

Great movie!

Help! I was offered a job at a local Vet Center as well as another main campus. The main campus have me a week to consider but the Vet Center only wants to give me 24 hours. When I asked for more time, they said no. Maybe that is a sign that the other one is better. Have you ever heard of a job only giving you one day. All of the other VA offers I received in my career always have a week.,

Help! I was offered a job at a local Vet Center as well as another main campus. The main campus have me a week to consider but the Vet Center only wants to give me 24 hours. When I asked for more time, they said no. Maybe that is a sign that the other one is better. Have you ever heard of a job only giving you one day. All of the other VA offers I received in my career always have a week.,
I received a job offer and was also given 24 hours from the VA. I asked for an extension and havent heard back yet, but I thought the 24 hour expectation was odd.

I've experienced both types of VA offers and unfortunately, it just encourages the practice of accepting and then withdrawing part way through the onboarding process, which I've done. I wish I didn't have to but ya gotta look out for yourself.

• Care
I received a job offer and was also given 24 hours from the VA. I asked for an extension and havent heard back yet, but I thought the 24 hour expectation was odd.
Never had 24 hours and am usually given 72 hours to accept the tentative offer. Well, the arrival of a firm offer is a different story...smh

• Haha
I had this happen to me as HR slacked off and the department was left with minimal time to find a candidate before the deadline for the opening ran out. It was this time of year for me as well and I think they need to get the info in before the new year.

Last edited:
I had this happen to me as HR slacked off and the department left with minimal time to find a candidate before the deadline for the opening ran out. It was this time of year for me as well and I think they need to get the info in before the new year.
Hadn’t considered that aspect but it makes sense. I’m participating in the TRE, which is why it was even more odd to me because there’s a general timeline, in theory—most locations were significantly delayed and hardly any notified of tentative job offers by the December 21 deadline. Not surprising, and my sense from what I’ve gathered from interviewers is that they made their decisions on time and HR is the hold up. And interviewers can’t tell whether they chose us or not. Something as big as the TRE definitely shouldn’t be held so close to the holidays when many staff are out.

Last edited:
I've experienced both types of VA offers and unfortunately, it just encourages the practice of accepting and then withdrawing part way through the onboarding process, which I've done. I wish I didn't have to but ya gotta look out for yourself.
Sending you a pm

If there's one thing I've learned about myself (and most of my colleagues who went into the 'helping' profession of clinical psychology), it's that we don't 'look out for ourselves (and our own interests)' nearly enough. This can be tied to under-valuing ourselves as well. If we're not careful, we can get into work 'relationships' that are exploitative and that also undervalue us.

Not saying that dynamic is operative here, just something to consider. On the face of it, the fact that they are pressing you to make an immediate decision ("We're extending you an offer to commit to us but OMFG you must do so within 24 hours or else!") is a sign that--quite possibly--they are either (a) trying to get you to commit to something that, upon further investigation, may not be the best deal for you (why the urgency to commit immediately?); maybe it's a CRAPPY position that they can't get anyone in their current organization to work in because people are burning out in that position and the word is out; (b) engaging in a dysfunctional dynamic where they have all the power and are just expecting you to have some personal schemas operating in the background of your mind something to the effect of ("I'm not worthy, I'd better take this opportunity while I can before I miss out on it"; or "They are acting dominant and pushing me to commit (as if they have something of value that someone else will come along and take if I don't act immediately and I will miss out (and be a loser, etc. etc.))"; or (c) your position in terms of what you have to offer as a candidate employee is better than what they are offering and they are--therefore--employing high-pressure scummy sales tactics (e.g., the late night TV commercial that offers you a special deal if you 'act now!!!' within 24 hours!!! or miss out on this great deal' sort of thing.

Of course, it could be none of the above. It could be that (shocker) the people in charge of making these decisions are lazy, incompetent, and representatives of a system run by such folks such that they can't/won't tolerate the uncertainty of weathering a reasonable time period (6-8 months?) of undergoing a thorough, careful, and resource-intensive job applicant search in order to secure the best candidate---they want the uncertainty to go away as soon as possible and that is the top priority (e.g., getting SOMEBODY to fill the position so we won't have to worry about it anymore). These organizations are taxpayer funded, have no market competition, and, therefore, don't have to make smart or effective business decisions. If they--another shocker--run a system that sucks (since they have no competition and just ask congress to fund a 20 billion dollar increase to their annual budgets), then so be it. The bottom line is making the boss bureaucrat happy.

Of course, it COULD be that it is a highly sought-after (by applicants) and desirable position...but if so, you have to ask yourself why they are having any difficulties at all filling the position 'in-house.' I dunno, just something to consider.

Last edited:
In my case this type of thing was an automatic thing that HR did rather than the timeline from the hiring manager themselves. If they want you (which they clearly do) they will give you the extension.

Another post-interview question here...
How soon would you notify the current facility about leaving after accepting a tentative offer?

In trying to avoid any break between service, the projected start date is two months from today (not sure if two months will be sufficient for a transfer; however, it would be a good pace to terminate patients). Learning from previous experience, I let the HR of the new facility know that I won't be able to leave my current station until a firm offer is issued. Hope I won't be waiting for another 6 months for that LOL

Last edited:
How soon would you notify the current facility about leaving after accepting a tentative offer?

In trying to avoid any break between service, the projected start date is two months from today (not sure if two months will be sufficient for a transfer; however, it would be a good pace to terminate patients). Learning from previous experience, I let the HR of the new facility know that I won't be able to leave my current station until a firm offer is issued. Hope I won't be waiting for another 6 months for that LOL
My understanding is that until somebody formally vacates a position, that department can’t initiate anything with HR for backfilling it so notice would primarily be to help your current facility with coverage for once you’ve departed and to start the admin processes to receive approval to backfill your spot.

I’d think about these things:
- What type of transition period would be appropriate for existing patient care?
- What types of new patient care could you realistically take on prior to leaving and what would be best to stop?
- Is your leadership supportive? Organized Vindictive?

When I left my inpatient position, I gave about 2 weeks and waited until I had signed the formal offer. Since I didn’t carry a caseload and there were some coverage options already in place (eg. Neuropsych for assessments), I didn’t particularly feel the need to give a heads up that I had taken a tentative offer and was waiting to onboard.

I’ve also seen people announce literally months in advance in outpatient roles that they would be departing.

One option would be to give a heads up (at some point) that you are planning to leave and wait to formalize the exact date until further along in onboarding. This could give some more time and planning for figuring out things like new intakes/patients and any eventual coverage that will be needed after your departure. Good luck and congrats!

My understanding is that until somebody formally vacates a position, that department can’t initiate anything with HR for backfilling it so notice would primarily be to help your current facility with coverage for once you’ve departed and to start the admin processes to receive approval to backfill your spot.

I’d think about these things:
- What type of transition period would be appropriate for existing patient care?
- What types of new patient care could you realistically take on prior to leaving and what would be best to stop?
- Is your leadership supportive? Organized Vindictive?

When I left my inpatient position, I gave about 2 weeks and waited until I had signed the formal offer. Since I didn’t carry a caseload and there were some coverage options already in place (eg. Neuropsych for assessments), I didn’t particularly feel the need to give a heads up that I had taken a tentative offer and was waiting to onboard.

I’ve also seen people announce literally months in advance in outpatient roles that they would be departing.

One option would be to give a heads up (at some point) that you are planning to leave and wait to formalize the exact date until further along in onboarding. This could give some more time and planning for figuring out things like new intakes/patients and any eventual coverage that will be needed after your departure. Good luck and congrats!
Thank you, summerbabe, for your thoughtful response! My current caseload is consisted of both short-term and long-term outpatient populations. The short-term patients are typically discharged or referred out in between 1-5 sessions. Termination with long-term patients can be challenging regarding timing and transition of care.

Ideally, if a firm offer is to be issued in the next 3-4 weeks, then it would afford me to give notice 4-5 weeks prior to my departure. In reality we know that HR works at their own pace. The HR of the new facility let me know that they are flexible to move my start date to a later date if needed. To be responsive, I am thinking to give a 4-5 week notice. If a firm offer is not issued then, I would have to figure out things during the transition. :)

Wish you a happy New Year!

I notified my previous VA/clinic after I received the firm offer.

For those of you who went straight to GS-11 (and thus had to wait until degree conferral to get a firm offer), how did you navigate verifying/negotiating certain things? I have friends who’ve negotiated tour of duty/compressed schedules, breakdown of individual vs group, etc. But, those friends weren’t coming out of internship and had a quick turnaround for firm offers than I will have. I’m also curious about whether EDRP will be in the firm offer since there’s no USAJobs posting for this position, as it was through TRE, but it was advertised as such. I’m concerned about a bait and switch from HR about EDRP due to having to wait several months for a firm offer. Anything I should be thinking about as I communicate with them before accepting the offer? I have mentors in the VA providing helpful info as well; for many of them it has been a while since they went through the hiring process. And I don’t think any of them went straight from internship unless they graduated before postdocs were a de facto requirement.

As an update to my previous posts about a 24 hour turnaround—I didn’t hear back until yesterday, but my extension was approved nearly 2 weeks after I asked for it. I recently received a job offer from my #2/tied for #1, so I will turn down the other offers I received. Still waiting on a few other places (including my other top) but I’m leaning toward accepting this. For other contingent offers, I was either given nearly 2 weeks automatically or given no time limit. That one place was the only one who put the full course press with 24 hours.

For those of you who went straight to GS-11 (and thus had to wait until degree conferral to get a firm offer), how did you navigate verifying/negotiating certain things? I have friends who’ve negotiated tour of duty/compressed schedules, breakdown of individual vs group, etc. But, those friends weren’t coming out of internship and had a quick turnaround for firm offers than I will have. I’m also curious about whether EDRP will be in the firm offer since there’s no USAJobs posting for this position, as it was through TRE, but it was advertised as such. I’m concerned about a bait and switch from HR about EDRP due to having to wait several months for a firm offer. Anything I should be thinking about as I communicate with them before accepting the offer? I have mentors in the VA providing helpful info as well; for many of them it has been a while since they went through the hiring process. And I don’t think any of them went straight from internship unless they graduated before postdocs were a de facto requirement.

As an update to my previous posts about a 24 hour turnaround—I didn’t hear back until yesterday, but my extension was approved nearly 2 weeks after I asked for it. I recently received a job offer from my #2/tied for #1, so I will turn down the other offers I received. Still waiting on a few other places (including my other top) but I’m leaning toward accepting this. For other contingent offers, I was either given nearly 2 weeks automatically or given no time limit. That one place was the only one who put the full course press with 24 hours.
EDRP needs to be indicated on your firm offer; otherwise, it might be a hard battle down the road. Your EDRP application has a 4-month deadline from the date your eligibility is determined (not necessarily your hiring date or start date). There is a form called EDRP Pending Licensure Commitment Form the HR has the authority to sign off on to support your EDRP application after you arrive to the station and are determined EDRP eligible. If you are able to reach the local EDRP Coordinator, you may reach out to clarify. If you don't know who that person is, then you can email the national support at [email protected]. They are very responsive and will either answer your questions or forward and direct your questions to the right contact person. Here is the SharePoint with all EDRP information that might be helpful: https://dvagov.sharepoint.com/sites/vhaWMCHCM/ELRS/Pages/Instructions.aspx
Step-by-step process is attached here. It used to be on the SharePoint; however, it looks like it has been removed. So take it with a grain of salt; this information might be outdated since the removal from the SharePoint.

Attachments

• The EDRP Process_Step by Step Process.docx
    1,001.5 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
I’m also curious about whether EDRP will be in the firm offer since there’s no USAJobs posting for this position, as it was through TRE, but it was advertised as such. I’m concerned about a bait and switch from HR about EDRP due to having to wait several months for a firm offer.
It seems like the purse strings on EDRP have been loosened significantly during this past year to the point of it being offered as a retainment incentive for folks who have worked years at their facility already but never had the opportunity to apply in the first place so hopefully you won't run into any issues. But if your firm offer doesn't have it, I'd communicate ASAP with your hiring manager and not sign anything.
how did you navigate verifying/negotiating certain things? I have friends who’ve negotiated tour of duty/compressed schedules, breakdown of individual vs group, etc. But, those friends weren’t coming out of internship and had a quick turnaround for firm offers than I will have.
I went in as a GS12 after postdoc but I don't see how not having a license would necessarily impact this. If you want a non-standard tour or anything else specific, I'd communicate with whoever is your hiring manager as I don't think things like tours are outlined in your firm offer and rather negotiated with your specific department. Some may be very open and some may not.

Thank you both @Mercury in Taurus and @summerbabe!

I will certainly reach out to the EDRP Coordinator and thanks for the share point link. I was able to find who the coordinators are through there. I’ve asked around and no one seems to know whether I can start having loan payments count for EDRP as an unlicensed staff member, so that’s something I will confirm.

My understanding is that firm offers can only happen after my degree is conferred, and I will confirm that too. My concern was that maybe something would be different down the line, when it would be harder/impossible to pivot to an alternative (like throw in some postdoc apps) if that were a deal breaker for me. I imagine too that my eligibility date for EDRP would start then for the 4 month window. My graduation date is in August though I will finish internship a month and a half before then.

I did hear back from the admin I’ve been speaking with for the offer I will likely accept (have not been communicating with HR as of yet), and they confirmed EDRP comes with the offer. So that helps put me at ease.

• Care
We're going back to almost entirely telehealth (not telework though) now with COVID. I'm pretty surprised.