VA Mental Health Provider Venting / Problem-solving / Peer Support Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I successfully completed my internship at a VA. A training director there has been defaming me to staff at other VAs. It prevented me from getting employed at a couple of VAs I was applying to. I have never list this person as a reference. They didn't supervise me clinically. This person just reaches out to staff they know at different VAs and basically encourages them not to hire me. It has cost me some different job opportunities in addition to being hurtful and embarrassing. How do I get this person to stop what they're doing? What actions should I take?
How do they know where you're applying? And how do you know they are doing this?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
How do they know where you're applying? And how do you know they are doing this?

Yeah, this seems fishy. But, just for info, when you're applying, the potential hiring site could potentially reach out to the TD on their own accord. That's weird though, we would reach out at times, but we'd always reach out to primary supervisors to get first-hand info. I'm also curious what kind of evidence there is to support the above claim. Particularly as defamation is a pretty serious accusation.

I could understand a bit if places were reaching out to this training director first, and that may be the case some of the time. I know for a fact that wasn't the case in at least a couple of situations. Even if hiring committees do reach out, it's not appropriate for this training director to spread false information.

I have lots of verbal evidence from multiple sources. Unfortunately, I don't have much in writing. It's been going on for a few months now.

Well, if you want to really push for defamation, and you can prove that they are spreading objectively and demonstrably false information, you can sue them and get your sources to file sworn affidavits and later testify under oath.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I've thought about that. I really just want this person to stop. I don't know if it would be worth going to HR at my current VA or if I should send a cease and desist letter through a lawyer with employment law and federal government experience. I've asked this person to stop verbally when the behavior first began back in February. I genuinely don't understand why they are continuing to do this. I don't know how widespread they have made these statements either. I was kind of hoping to stay in the VA for my career, but I don't know if I can with this going on.

You're in a hired position, so, one option is to just ignore it and continue on with your VA career. Biggest issue is proof, because right now this sounds like a lot of hearsay and speculation.

I've thought about that. I really just want this person to stop. I don't know if it would be worth going to HR at my current VA or if I should send a cease and desist letter through a lawyer with employment law and federal government experience. I've asked this person to stop verbally when the behavior first began back in February. I genuinely don't understand why they are continuing to do this. I don't know how widespread they have made these statements either. I was kind of hoping to stay in the VA for my career, but I don't know if I can with this going on.
Sorry this is happening and hope there is a good outcome. A few thoughts:

- HR exists to protect the employer, not the employee. So if there is wrongdoing by the TD, the HR outcome may not align any with your desired outcomes.
- Poking the bear (e.g., lawyering up) could lead to further negative outcomes.
- None of us are lawyers but given that tort laws apply kinda differently for VA providers than in private practice (e.g., patient would generally sue the VA/federal govt for malpractice instead of the specific provider), I wonder about how something like a cease and desist would legally work. Are these the actions of a private citizen or an agent of the government? If this is wrongdoing, who is responsible for enforcing it to stop? I just got a headache thinking about all the possible bureaucratic layers.
- VA psychology can be pretty small world but as you move further in your career, I imagine your TD’s reach will lessen. Partly because they will know less about when and where you’d look for jobs versus coming out of training and because you’ll have work experience, performance evals, other recs, etc.

Reactions: 3 users
That's solid advice. It's what I've been doing so far. I do okay with ignoring. Then I find out more about how it's spreading, and it's distressing.

I agree. I could probably get some of these sources to put in writing what the training director said to them, but I don't know if that would be sufficient to send a cease and desist letter. I'm not a litigious person. I just want them to leave me alone.
Your best bet may just be to consult with an employment attorney to explore what your options are, and what type of proof would be required. I suspect, as was mentioned above, it would at least involve written/sworn statements from folks documenting what the TD said to them.

As a TD, the person may feel it's their duty/obligation to provide information on former trainees to potential employers, especially if there are concerns. That being said, if the information being spread is false, it's of course severely inappropriate.

If you have a close/good relationship with your supervisor, you could get their take on whether approaching HR would be fruitful. Or you could see if the folks the TD spoke with would be willing to say to the TD that what they're doing may be inappropriate, as they have doubts about the accuracy of the provided information, and they should probably stop. I don't know how well a person who's spreading false information might respond to that type of direct confrontation, but it's an option.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
There are a lot of rules about workplace bullying, and this is bullying. Would anyone be willing to go on the record? Or even anonymously? If not, document the dates and times you were told, and the profession of who told you (without specifying their clinic). Then contact your EAP for advice. You may end up doing nothing, but document what’s happened and get some guidance.

That's solid advice. It's what I've been doing so far. I do okay with ignoring. Then I find out more about how it's spreading, and it's distressing.

I agree. I could probably get some of these sources to put in writing what the training director said to them, but I don't know if that would be sufficient to send a cease and desist letter. I'm not a litigious person. I just want them to leave me alone.
My internship was a traumatizing experience and I can only imagine the unnecessary stress you are subjected to in this awful situation. No ex-interns should continue to carry the emotional weight of consistent worrying if we gave our 100% and met the requirements to successfully complete an APA-accredited internship. I agree with the advises shared here and everyone's input. Documentation is so important, even you decide not to use it. So sorry this is happening to you. Approach this situation carefully if you are looking to be licensed in state(s) where the board requires any verification from the internship TD. Just a thought. Don't mean to make you more stressed or worried.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks everyone for the advice and support. It's a very tricky and upsetting situation that is difficult to navigate. It hasn't driven me out of the VA yet. I probably won't feel comfortable providing updates.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your best bet may just be to consult with an employment attorney to explore what your options are, and what type of proof would be required. I suspect, as was mentioned above, it would at least involve written/sworn statements from folks documenting what the TD said to them.

As a TD, the person may feel it's their duty/obligation to provide information on former trainees to potential employers, especially if there are concerns. That being said, if the information being spread is false, it's of course severely inappropriate.

If you have a close/good relationship with your supervisor, you could get their take on whether approaching HR would be fruitful. Or you could see if the folks the TD spoke with would be willing to say to the TD that what they're doing may be inappropriate, as they have doubts about the accuracy of the provided information, and they should probably stop. I don't know how well a person who's spreading false information might respond to that type of direct confrontation, but it's an option.
I do hope the people the TD is reaching out to are telling them how inappropriate their behavior is. This person is known for how poorly they handle any constructive feedback though, so I doubt that is the case. They have a lot of influence. I suppose I can understand why folks would not want to put their neck on the line just seeing how this person is talking about me to them. I hope if any of you are aware of this situation in real life that you are choosing to do the ethical thing and letting them know that their opinion wasn't asked for and that slandering others is not okay.

Hello VA friends!

I was wondering if anybody knew whether a step increase is negotiable for someone who is a current GS13 staff psychologist and moves into a GS13 coordinator position (e.g., MST, DBT, Suicide Prevention, etc.).

Hello VA friends!

I was wondering if anybody knew whether a step increase is negotiable for someone who is a current GS13 staff psychologist and moves into a GS13 coordinator position (e.g., MST, DBT, Suicide Prevention, etc.).

From my experience, it would be unlikely unless your facility has had a lot of luck with step increases in the past. Even for boarding for many people it was a Herculean task to get the step increase that was supposed to be automatic. That being said, no harm in sending in the AAS/SAA paperwork or whatever the acronym was.

Hello VA friends!

I'd unfortunately have to agree with WisNeuro that it seems unlikely, but you could certainly try applying for a merit-based step increase. What's more likely is that it could be used to get you better ratings on your annual review, which might give you a tiny bump in your annual bonus (if you get those).

There's a listing of the criteria for the merit-based step increases somewhere, but I forget how/where to access it. Some of the examples it provides, I believe, are things like being elected to a leadership position in state/professional associations or being invited by an outside institution to provide a (high profile) professional presentation/talk. Boarding is theoretically supposed to be a shoe-in, but I definitely know folks whose step increases for it were rejected, just as I know folks who were elected to high-level positions in state psychology boards who also never received step increases. Ultimately, it's up to facility leadership, who seem to be notoriously tight-stringed budgetarily when it comes to anything relating to front-line clinical staff pay.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello VA friends!

I have a coordinator position and a step increase was never even mentioned, lol.

• Haha
I have a coordinator position and a step increase was never even mentioned, lol.
Haha yup! I don’t have an official coordinator title but do some admin things in my role and get time carved out of my total bookable patient hours. And I would choose the time over a step pay bump 100%, not that I’d ever have that choice lol.

Can anyone provide info on what the onboarding physical is like? For example, what they’ll ask, what are they entitled to know vs not, etc. Will they ask me to demonstrate basic tasks?

Anybody have an idea about the VA hiring timeline? I am currently a GS13 and I applied for a psychologist position at another VA which closed end of Sept. I got an email in early Oct saying I had been referred to the hiring committee, but its been crickets since then. For my current job I was interviewed within a month of the position closing. But, I know that not all VA's move so quickly. They were hiring for several positions, but the job announcement did state that current interns, postdocs, and employees of that VA would be given priority consideration. At this point should I assume that I was not selected for an interview?

Can anyone provide info on what the onboarding physical is like? For example, what they’ll ask, what are they entitled to know vs not, etc. Will they ask me to demonstrate basic tasks?
Simple. Bend over, read a few letters for a vision exam, and answer some general health questions. But it ultimately depends on the VA and the provider doing it.
Anybody have an idea about the VA hiring timeline? I am currently a GS13 and I applied for a psychologist position at another VA which closed end of Sept. I got an email in early Oct saying I had been referred to the hiring committee, but its been crickets since then. For my current job I was interviewed within a month of the position closing. But, I know that not all VA's move so quickly. They were hiring for several positions, but the job announcement did state that current interns, postdocs, and employees of that VA would be given priority consideration. At this point should I assume that I was not selected for an interview?
If you are referred and don't hear in a timely fashion from somebody in psychology, you were not selected to interview and for whatever reason, that position was never formally closed out.

Highly variable. I've had them that ranged from literally..."hey tell me if you can you do all these things on this list" to listening to lungs, heart, sort of vision, sort of hearing, demonstrate a few physical moves...like closer to an actual physical.

Highly variable. I've had them that ranged from literally..."hey tell me if you can you do all these things on this list" to listening to lungs, heart, sort of vision, sort of hearing, demonstrate a few physical moves...like closer to an actual physical.
Simple. Bend over, read a few letters for a vision exam, and answer some general health questions. But it ultimately depends on the VA and the provider doing it.
Thanks for the responses! Thankfully I can get it done at my own job and my fingerprints were scheduled back to back, so I’m hoping it’s a quick appointment. Really hoping it’s not too in depth. I’ve heard that blood is taken for TB testing, and others have said they had a more full panel blood test. I never gave much thought to this part, but I feel uneasy about my job having *that* much of my health information. Particularly for ADA concerns and before I even have a final offer.

I’ve heard that blood is taken for TB testing, and others have said they had a more full panel blood test.
I've had blood drawn for an immunization titer test (and if any levels are too low, you can/will be asked to get those vaccines again) and a separate TB skin test.

Thanks for the responses! Thankfully I can get it done at my own job and my fingerprints were scheduled back to back, so I’m hoping it’s a quick appointment. Really hoping it’s not too in depth. I’ve heard that blood is taken for TB testing, and others have said they had a more full panel blood test. I never gave much thought to this part, but I feel uneasy about my job having *that* much of my health information. Particularly for ADA concerns and before I even have a final offer.
Yep, they do draw blood and run a mostly full panel, from what I remember.

To be fair, some of the testing is for potentially infectious diseases given that many interns are likely to be working on inpatient units with patients with vulnerable immune systems. Also, you'll likely have to do this again if you get hired into another hospital system job. Also, most people are painfully unaware of how much of their personal information has already been compromised.

Hello VA providers,

From time to time, I receive referrals (PCMHI referrals) for out-of-state Veterans who have not established care at their current state and continue to receive care at the VA that they have been registered. It makes me uncomfortable when it comes to a high need referral that is borderline PCMHI inappropriate.
Recently got one currently lives in Mobile, Al for an unknown period of time. I feel that a local provider would be the best option. When a Veteran does not want to or has not established care with their nearest VA for different reasons and the referral is PCMHI in appropriate, I would offer infor about local resources, such as the Steven A. Cohen Military Family Clinic. However, there isn't one near Mobile, Al.
Anyone know any community resources in or close to Mobile, Al, or any suggestions how to best assist?
Thanks a million!

Hello VA providers,

From time to time, I receive referrals (PCMHI referrals) for out-of-state Veterans who have not established care at their current state and continue to receive care at the VA that they have been registered. It makes me uncomfortable when it comes to a high need referral that is borderline PCMHI inappropriate.
Recently got one currently lives in Mobile, Al for an unknown period of time. I feel that a local provider would be the best option. When a Veteran does not want to or has not established care with their nearest VA for different reasons and the referral is PCMHI in appropriate, I would offer infor about local resources, such as the Steven A. Cohen Military Family Clinic. However, there isn't one near Mobile, Al.
Anyone know any community resources in or close to Mobile, Al, or any suggestions how to best assist?
Thanks a million!

I don't have referral ideas, but, yes, that is extremely inappropriate if they haven't established with their new PACT. As we've mentioned in this thread, PCMHI referrals should only come from your PACT. OPMH you can receive care if you get primary care at another VA, but not PCMHI.

Haha yup! I don’t have an official coordinator title but do some admin things in my role and get time carved out of my total bookable patient hours. And I would choose the time over a step pay bump 100%, not that I’d ever have that choice lol.
I was just kinda hoping for the fewer bookable hours and the pay bump. :rofl:

Thanks for your feedback everyone! I thought that implementing a much needed program we don't have at our site yet and having an official coordinator title might give me a little extra something-something, but I won't inquire about it. Thanks for saving me the embarrassment!

Thanks for your feedback everyone! I thought that implementing a much needed program we don't have at our site yet and having an official coordinator title might give me a little extra something-something, but I won't inquire about it. Thanks for saving me the embarrassment!
Definitely negotiate for a reasonable amount of admin time as your supervisor/chief/ACOS may have pretty wide latitude here. Don't ask for something absurd but also don't low-ball yourself and find yourself drowning in extra work down the line.

And maybe somebody in leadership will take pity on you and buy you some Tylenol from the canteen for all the headaches you're sure to run into jk!

In all seriousness, good luck! The VA needs more clinicians who care to improve the patient experience in a genuine fashion. Good luck!

Last edited:
  • Love

I mean, it couldn't hurt to ask your boss what they think; it's just that the odds of actually getting the step increase are, unfortunately, probably pretty small.

I agree that it's also certainly fair to ask your supervisor about getting a few hours set aside to manage the administrative responsibilities. VAs can vary WIDELY in this (e.g., I know of some that don't provide any carve outs, or provide maybe 10%, for even admin-heavy roles like training director; conversely, I know others that give 50-100% time, depending on the size of the program and such), so your facility service line leadership may have a decent amount of leeway.

Doing assessments in our local VAs is such a strange process. Chronic PTSD will show up in the problem list with nothing but a PCL-5 and someone's hunch, but people with long-standing, thoroughly documented ADHD constantly get referred for "diagnostic clarification" even without the desire for stimulants.

• Love
Doing assessments in our local VAs is such a strange process. Chronic PTSD will show up in the problem list with nothing but a PCL-5 and someone's hunch, but people with long-standing, thoroughly documented ADHD constantly get referred for "diagnostic clarification" even without the desire for stimulants.

Much the same in the community. I see a myriad of things diagnosed after a 20-30 minute visit with no mention of what symptoms the person actually meets criteria for. And yes, I get ADHD assessment requests all the time which I turn away.

This has more to do with lazy clinical work than anything else. Something I know without having to read and do research? You have it. Something I have not had to diagnose in a while that would require extra effort? Consult please.

Flip side, I have seen people come to me in PP saying they were diagnosed ADHD and report sleeping 4-6 hours/night. Yup seems like ADHD alright.

This has more to do with lazy clinical work than anything else. Something I know without having to read and do research? You have it. Something I have not had to diagnose in a while that would require extra effort? Consult please.

Flip side, I have seen people come to me in PP saying they were diagnosed ADHD and report sleeping 4-6 hours/night. Yup seems like ADHD alright.

Well, I get the primary care diagnoses of dementia at like 60 based off of vague memory and attention complaints. It couldn't possibly be that they gave been diagnosed with severe OSA and won't use a CPAP and that they are poorly controlling their diabetes, could it? Or the 20+ meds you have them on, some of which are redundant. Seriously, sleep consult with adequate patient follow through and medication reconciliation would solve the issues of a fairly sizable chunk of my patient population.

Well, I get the primary care diagnoses of dementia at like 60 based off of vague memory and attention complaints. It couldn't possibly be that they gave been diagnosed with severe OSA and won't use a CPAP and that they are poorly controlling their diabetes, could it? Or the 20+ meds you have them on, some of which are redundant. Seriously, sleep consult with adequate patient follow through and medication reconciliation would solve the issues of a fairly sizable chunk of my patient population.

As we have significant overlap in patient populations, I agree with you. It is what happens when we do not pay for the cognitive work involved in treating patients. I have a particularly frustrating issue going on right now that I would share, except I would likely dox myself.

I have been fortunate to work with supervisors with strong assessment backgrounds. I think it would be great if everyone had at least one neuropsych rotation during their training. My referrals to other providers got so much better. The biggest takeaway was that most referrals turn out to be normal behaviors being pathologized or providers ignoring much simpler explanations like polypharm, typical psychiatric disorders, sleep apnea, etc. Sometimes the person is just quirky, rude, or both. I have been tipped off that some of the assessment part of my next job will be assuring folks they probably don't have ADHD or autism. Combatting self-diagnosis via TikTok is going to be interesting.

Definitely negotiate for a reasonable amount of admin time as your supervisor/chief/ACOS may have pretty wide latitude here. Don't ask for something absurd but also don't low-ball yourself and find yourself drowning in extra work down the line.

And maybe somebody in leadership will take pity on you and buy you some Tylenol from the canteen for all the headaches you're sure to run into jk!

In all seriousness, good luck! The VA needs more clinicians who care to improve the patient experience in a genuine fashion. Good luck!
Many thanks to you and @AcronymAllergy for your thoughts! I spoke with my boss earlier and he suggested a possibility of a "promotion" and formal position in the future without me asking. We're still a while away but I will definitely work on my negotiating skills as we move closer to formalizing a plan. Appreciate you!

Reactions: 3 users

DON'T GET ME STARTED. People here refuse to diagnose ADHD without testing, even if they were diagnosed by a previous provider. It just baffles my mind.

So our VA now has a "service animal champion" that is telling us it is mental health's role to fill out service animal paperwork. If this is the direction the VA is heading in, I do not like it.

• Wow
  • Haha
DON'T GET ME STARTED. People here refuse to diagnose ADHD without testing, even if they were diagnosed by a previous provider. It just baffles my mind.

So our VA now has a "service animal champion" that is telling us it is mental health's role to fill out service animal paperwork. If this is the direction the VA is heading in, I do not like it.

Just.......
What......
How.....
Why.....
My tax dollars at work.

I'd 1000x rather they take the whole salary of that champion each year and just buy more of those gun locks they were handing out to everyone a few years back like Halloween candy.

Just.......
What......
How.....
Why.....
My tax dollars at work.

I'd 1000x rather they take the whole salary of that champion each year and just buy more of those gun locks they were handing out to everyone a few years back like Halloween candy.

While I am all about gun locks and proper storage, I fear this is likely a diminishing return for that population. In the home self-defense firearm world, many instructors teach that the guns should be ready to go in the shortest amount of time possible. Safes should be quick access and you should already have ammunition chambered. I just don't see a large portion of vets even considering the gun locks. I am genuinely curious as to what kind of conversion rate they have for Vets who received the gun locks and how many of those actually use them.

I just don't see a large portion of vets even considering the gun locks. I am genuinely curious as to what kind of conversion rate they have for Vets who received the gun locks and how many of those actually use them.
In my VISN, our suicide prevention coordinators can’t keep them in stock and complain about COVID supply chain issues messing up with getting more deliveries.

Personally, I have found suicidal veterans somewhat to incredibly open to various lethal means counseling approaches, including way more people in gun-loving areas who are willing to temporary hand over firearms to others for temporary safe keeping.

As for efficacy, there’s definitely an emerging evidence base and DoD dollars are being spent in this area: Lethal Means Counseling, Distribution of Cable Locks, and Safe Firearm Storage Practices Among the Mississippi National Guard: A Factorial Randomized Controlled Trial, 2018–2020

Can you just send all those people to the "service animal champion" for their paperwork?

More importantly, how much time is devoted to being service animal champion and where do I sign up for this waste of time? Can I champion three things and just stop seeing patients? I can champion emotional support animals, reiki, and EMDR. Call me the anti-EBP champion.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
While I am all about gun locks and proper storage, I fear this is likely a diminishing return for that population. In the home self-defense firearm world, many instructors teach that the guns should be ready to go in the shortest amount of time possible. Safes should be quick access and you should already have ammunition chambered. I just don't see a large portion of vets even considering the gun locks. I am genuinely curious as to what kind of conversion rate they have for Vets who received the gun locks and how many of those actually use them.

Anecdotally, we've had a lot of patients take them. Now whether they're using them is a different question.

Can you just send all those people to the "service animal champion" for their paperwork?

More importantly, how much time is devoted to being service animal champion and where do I sign up for this waste of time? Can I champion three things and just stop seeing patients? I can champion emotional support animals, reiki, and EMDR. Call me the anti-EBP champion.

RIGHT? We had the same question - can this person just fill out the paperwork for everyone?

I love the idea of an anti-EBP champion :rofl:

In my VISN, our suicide prevention coordinators can’t keep them in stock and complain about COVID supply chain issues messing up with getting more deliveries.

Personally, I have found suicidal veterans somewhat to incredibly open to various lethal means counseling approaches, including way more people in gun-loving areas who are willing to temporary hand over firearms to others for temporary safe keeping.

As for efficacy, there’s definitely an emerging evidence base and DoD dollars are being spent in this area: Lethal Means Counseling, Distribution of Cable Locks, and Safe Firearm Storage Practices Among the Mississippi National Guard: A Factorial Randomized Controlled Trial, 2018–2020

I am definitely interested in the discrepancy in self-report and actual usage. I do a decent amount of shooting and training with some of these guys, and I don't know anyone who uses gun locks. And these are more moderate types of gun owners, not the prepper types. Granted, these are also middle aged guys, not the older, so not sure if there is a difference in cohorts.

I have not mastered understanding what the VA is trying to communicate in their national messages. What does the "hybrid work environment transition" actually mean long-term?

I have not mastered understanding what the VA is trying to communicate in their national messages. What does the "hybrid work environment transition" actually mean long-term?
It means...absolutely nothing. Which is why I didn't read that message until you posted something here. The local hierarchy does whatever they want anyway, but some of us will be going back to work and others will stay at home with absolutely no coherent national plan. In other words, the VA will continue to provide the seamless continuity of operations that they have for the last two years.

Can someone explain the difference between telework and remote work?

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Hahahaha, someone should tell my facility about this "hybrid work environment." They still refuse telework unless the person is "sufficiently" productive.

• Wow
Hahahaha, someone should tell my facility about this "hybrid work environment." They still refuse telework unless the person is "sufficiently" productive.
Lol, which is what cracks me up. I am often on national HBPC MH calls where people complain about local policies and get support. There is nothing national seems to be able to do about poor implementation at the local level. Why not?

I imagine that comes with a much higher level of scrutiny as well.

It seems like local facilities have a TON of oversight ability into remote IF they want to apply it.
Yes, that's a big reason I haven't applied for telework. I don't want to be under that level of scrutiny.
Have you talked to folks at your site who are on telework? Are they experiencing anything different?