VA Mental Health Provider Venting / Problem-solving / Peer Support Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes, that's a big reason I haven't applied for telework. I don't want to be under that level of scrutiny.
They trust you to independently diagnose and administer complex treatments to folks with varying levels of mental illness, some severe, but you can't be trusted to actually do work at home rather than just watch YouTube videos about cats for 8 hours while getting paid. Yep, checks out.

Also, if you got a day of no-shows while on-site, you could still theoretically just be watching YouTube videos about cats for 8 hours while getting paid. They'd just know where you find you while doing it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
They trust you to independently diagnose and administer complex treatments to folks with varying levels of mental illness, some severe, but you can't be trusted to actually do work at home rather than just watch YouTube videos about cats for 8 hours while getting paid. Yep, checks out.

Also, if you got a day of no-shows while on-site, you could still theoretically just be watching YouTube videos about cats for 8 hours while getting paid. They'd just know where you find you while doing it.
I don’t know about the VA, but something that’s come up with telework in the hospital I work in has been that no one can get telework without “earning” it because of EEO concerns.

Yes, that's a big reason I haven't applied for telework. I don't want to be under that level of scrutiny.
This is a bizarre statement for us the the normal working world. Think about it for a second. :) Laundry, dishes. mopping...are THE BEST things about telework. I'm sorry, I meant longs lunch, meeting friends for early games, child-care needs, grocery, errands, TV in the office.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
This is a bizarre statement for us the the normal working world. Think about it for a second. :) Laundry, dishes. mopping...are THE BEST things about telework. I'm sorry, I meant longs lunch, meeting friends for early games, child-care needs, grocery, errands, TV in the office.

Oh, for sure. I teleworked for a few days per week back on fellowship and loved it. But I don't want to be under even MORE productivity demands than I already am. And VVC numbers are also being tied to telework. I'm already tired of having to proselytize in that area.

I mean, I mostly specialize in PTSD, a LOT of my patients no show or cancel.

Reactions: 2 users

This makes no sense to me. Either you make your RVU quota or you don't. It doesn't matter where you are sitting unless they want you to do something in the building. My VA has a number of telework positions and we have had a significant number of people who have a more rigid schedule leave for telework anyway. Stubbornness is a great way to bleed talent.

I have no idea what "normal working world" you are talking about. The WFH era has been full of examples of all the ways corporations are developing new tech to track their employees and keep tabs on them.
Employers are spying on us at home with ‘tattleware’. It’s time to track them instead | Jessa Crispin

Reactions: 1 user
A medical provider told my new client with PTSD that they would never recover from PTSD, only better manage it.

I try to stay in my own lane. I wish others would stay in theirs.

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
A medical provider told my new client with PTSD that they would never recover from PTSD, only better manage it.

I try to stay in my own lane. I wish others would stay in theirs.
wtf GIF

I'm currently a BHIP psychologist at a VA in Ohio; when I was hired, there were others who were hired with me who I found out had telework agreements in place, and I was essentially the only one without one. The thinking was that they want to get everybody back on site (I think by May?), but it's funny that the same people saying "no you can't work from home"....work from home. IDK...I am about 7 months into my job (newly licensed circa 12/21), and I am slowly seeing myself not being with the VA for long. There are other aspects of my role I am just not liking and getting burnt out with (so early on). The position I'm in has me questioning a lot of my career choice, and if I am even cut out to work with the VA.

I am slowly seeing myself not being with the VA for long. There are other aspects of my role I am just not liking and getting burnt out with (so early on). The position I'm in has me questioning a lot of my career choice, and if I am even cut out to work with the VA.
There is definitely validity to all of this.

One option might be to see if you can move to a lateral position at your facility, start applying for virtual jobs elsewhere, or consider other jobs if relocation is possible. Just going to a different clinic at the same VA can TOTALLY change things and sometimes for the better. I feel WAY better in my 2nd VA job now than my 1st.

Regardless, best of luck in the future!

I'm currently a BHIP psychologist at a VA in Ohio; when I was hired, there were others who were hired with me who I found out had telework agreements in place, and I was essentially the only one without one. The thinking was that they want to get everybody back on site (I think by May?), but it's funny that the same people saying "no you can't work from home"....work from home. IDK...I am about 7 months into my job (newly licensed circa 12/21), and I am slowly seeing myself not being with the VA for long. There are other aspects of my role I am just not liking and getting burnt out with (so early on). The position I'm in has me questioning a lot of my career choice, and if I am even cut out to work with the VA.

Hang in there and keep your options open. COVID and the forced advancement of telehealth have changed the psychology landscape significantly. I think this is mostly for the better, but the VA being a place that can be slow to advance in some ways may mean that they are not as good of a choice as they would have been a few years ago.

Reactions: 3 users
Hang in there and keep your options open. COVID and the forced advancement of telehealth have changed the psychology landscape significantly. I think this is mostly for the better, but the VA being a place that can be slow to advance in some ways may mean that they are not as good of a choice as they would have been a few years ago.

Perhaps. My biggest thing is, I was hired as a GS-11 right out of internship, then got my license 4 months after my doctorate was conferred. The way this position was framed and even advertised was that I would be able to do a blending of both assessments and therapy. Long story short, most of my background was in neuro and rehab, but because I have not done a post-doc in neuro, I am not permitted to do neuro testing within the VA. Basically, I do mostly therapy, and if I am lucky, the occasion ADHD evaluation. For me...I feel like my professional identity has gone down the toilet. I have had numerous conversations with my supervisor who keeps on providing empty promises and sentiments that seem to be more to do with them trying to keep me in place rather than actually allow me to practice to my full potential. The other BHIP psychologists who were hired on have completed post-docs, and typically are receiving referrals to practice in their areas of focus (e.g., family/couples therapy, PTSD, gero). Me on the other hand...I feel displaced. My background is testing and assessment, and any opportunity I have to get a testing case has been met with continued invalidation from my supervisor for taking on such cases, especially ADHD evaluations. So, even with the very little testing I can get, I feel like I am shamed for taking them on. Notwithstanding this, when I first started, BHIP psychologists were required to see 2 new patient assessments a week, however, now that we are rolling out Cerner, they upped it to 4 a week so we can bulk up on the number of veterans that can be seen prior to us going through Cerner training. Me on the other hand, also see testing cases on a 5th day, in addition to the 14-16 active therapy cases I have. It's exhausting. I have a supervisor who sends mixed messages, doesn't even read my notes/reports because I can tell when he starts speaking with me that he clearly does not review most of the stuff I put in, because if he did, he wouldn't say half the stuff he does. They also have an unofficial policy that we need to get veterans in ASAP, so, even if my next available assessment slot isn't until 2 months from now, if I happen to have an open therapy slot, or even an admin slot, to squeeze in a veteran who might have no-showed me for an assessment in a previous week. That's how I end up seeing 2 assessments a day in some instances. Then..I get the "I'm here to support you" conversation, but then I hear all of the other conversations that suggest otherwise. It's very confusing and frustrating messages being sent by upper management. We have lost some providers and MSAs due to similar sentiments I have expressed. Who knows...maybe I am not cut out for BHIP or the VA. I can be fine with that I suppose. I just fear what life is going to be like if I stay the course. I will say I have applied for some remote VA positions spanning PRRC and BHIP at some VAs across the country. If I am going to be doing therapy mostly, then I'd rather do it remotely and save the gas and time it takes me to drive to work, have more flexibility.

Last edited:
  • Care
The way this position was framed and even advertised was that I would be able to do a blending of both assessments and therapy.
Yea I can see why the position may feel like a bad fit or even bait and switch. Just about every VA job posting will list a blend of therapy and assessment even if virtually no assessment will ever happen, just in case they ever need you in the future to do that.
I am not permitted to do neuro testing within the VA.
Clinical privileges such as neuro privileges at a hospital really matters and will be followed as such. Doing 'straight' neuro in the VA will be quite challenging without the neuropsych credential and your competency and interest may not matter much.

There are roles like CLC, HBPC, or acute inpatient that will have more testing opportunities but there will still likely be a ceiling as to what you can do without full neuro privileges as determined by your hospital leadership.
BHIP psychologists were required to see 2 new patient assessments a week, however, now that we are rolling out Cerner, they upped it to 4 a week so we can bulk up on the number of veterans that can be seen prior to us going through Cerner training.
Seems pretty standard for BHIP to do up to 2 intakes per week. Sucks on the Cerner part but part of making a VA job work longer term is figuring out how to roll with random political stuff like this. Or deciding to leave due to things like this. Regardless, a speciality clinic/role will be more shielded from these pressures.
They also have an unofficial policy that we need to get veterans in ASAP, so, even if my next available assessment slot isn't until 2 months from now, if I happen to have an open therapy slot, or even an admin slot, to squeeze in a veteran who might have no-showed me for an assessment in a previous week.
There's a huge difference to working at a site that has no, some, and major access issues. It can literally not even feel like the VA anymore.

I would hazard the guess that access issues are pushing new therapy patients onto your caseload instead of assessments of pre-existing patients even if they would really benefit from further diagnostic work and you would enjoy it.

None of this has anything to do with you or your competency but more so the nature of working for the VA and how political healthcare for veterans can become.
If I am going to be doing therapy mostly, then I'd rather do it remotely and save the gas and time it takes me to drive to work, have more flexibility.
Good luck! And definitely consider non-VA options as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yea I can see why the position may feel like a bad fit or even bait and switch. Just about every VA job posting will list a blend of therapy and assessment even if virtually no assessment will ever happen, just in case they ever need you in the future to do that.

Clinical privileges such as neuro privileges at a hospital really matters and will be followed as such. Doing 'straight' neuro in the VA will be quite challenging without the neuropsych credential and your competency and interest may not matter much.

There are roles like CLC, HBPC, or acute inpatient that will have more testing opportunities but there will still likely be a ceiling as to what you can do without full neuro privileges as determined by your hospital leadership.

Seems pretty standard for BHIP to do up to 2 intakes per week. Sucks on the Cerner part but part of making a VA job work longer term is figuring out how to roll with random political stuff like this. Or deciding to leave due to things like this. Regardless, a speciality clinic/role will be more shielded from these pressures.

There's a huge difference to working at a site that has no, some, and major access issues. It can literally not even feel like the VA anymore.

I would hazard the guess that access issues are pushing new therapy patients onto your caseload instead of assessments of pre-existing patients even if they would really benefit from further diagnostic work and you would enjoy it.

None of this has anything to do with you or your competency but more so the nature of working for the VA and how political healthcare for veterans can become.

Good luck! And definitely consider non-VA options as well.

You make good points. It’s why I’m considering other jobs, even prison jobs locally, or to do a post doc and take a $40k pay cut.

You make good points. It’s why I’m considering other jobs, even prison jobs locally, or to do a post doc and take a $40k pay cut.
The reality is that there are some really terrible VA jobs out there and you might be in one of them, unfortunately.

I did internship at a VA that serves massive amounts of veterans due to proximity to an active military installation and the longest tenured BHIP provider (including prescribers and SWers) was like 1.5 years so he was the default team lead.

And there are also some pretty good gigs out there. My current one isn’t 100% perfect but it’s a pretty solid fit for my clinical interests and my leadership is supportive and responsive.

Best of luck in finding something else more suited, whether it’s in VA or outside of it. And if you do leave, perhaps a future return to another position much more congruent with your interests is possible somewhere down the line.

Reactions: 4 users
The reality is that there are some really terrible VA jobs out there and you might be in one of them, unfortunately.

I did internship at a VA that serves massive amounts of veterans due to proximity to an active military installation and the longest tenured BHIP provider (including prescribers and SWers) was like 1.5 years so he was the default team lead.

And there are also some pretty good gigs out there. My current one isn’t 100% perfect but it’s a pretty solid fit for my clinical interests and my leadership is supportive and responsive.

Best of luck in finding something else more suited, whether it’s in VA or outside of it. And if you do leave, perhaps a future return to another position much more congruent with your interests is possible somewhere down the line.
Agreed with this sentiment. I would also consider whether your interests are a good fit for the VA's needs. Things like ADHD evals are in demand in the community , but not often a VA priority compared to things like suicide prevention and access to psychotherapy.

Reactions: 4 users
Agreed with this sentiment. I would also consider whether your interests are a good fit for the VA's needs. Things like ADHD evals are in demand in the community , but not often a VA priority compared to things like suicide prevention and access to psychotherapy.

Indeed - I opened up a private practice on the side in an effort to get my “assessment fix” that I can’t get at the VA. Right now I offer both clinical and forensic assessments and regularly consult/collaborate with some ABFP forensic psychologists while I gain the relevant competencies to practice civil forensic work. I’m harnessing my neuro/testing background and venturing into forensic as there is a solid demand for it. I am hopeful to expand my practice and grow it so that perhaps I can just do that full time. I like having flexibility and not having to see 6 people a day. My brain is just not cut out for that I suppose. My hat is off to those who can do that.

Your clinic isn't supportive of non-neuro testing? We have a ton of demand for it, especially ADHD testing.

Your clinic isn't supportive of non-neuro testing? We have a ton of demand for it, especially ADHD testing.
Nope in fact, there is one other psychologist who does non-neuro testing here in BHIP, and he has become pretty full between those referrals and his case load of initial evals and therapy cases, so when he heard I specialize in assessments, he was thrilled and they started to spread the word. My supervisor on the other hand really wants me to only focus on doing my initial evals and therapy. He sends mixed messages which are very confusing and often invalidating when I get a testing case, even when I’m just doing personality testing. They told me to stick it out until August, and if I’m still dissatisfied they will try to “create” a testing position here. We’ve talked for many months now about getting me involved with C&P and police evaluations to no avail. Again, usually empty promises. I get that it wasn’t until December that I got licensed, but I’m wondering when they will get the ball rolling on allowing me to do this other assessments. I’d love to have a 50/50 split between testing and therapy, that would be ideal.

My supervisor on the other hand really wants me to only focus on doing my initial evals and therapy.
Sounds like they might be getting a lot of pressure from above to get as many patients seen for initial evals within certain timelines, perhaps to avoid community care. Some hospital leadership feel more pressure to keep services in house because the more that folks go into community care, the more it impacts the hospital/dept's annual operating budget as community care dollars come out of the general operating budget for mental health (salaries, facilities, travel, etc). And at other places, community care is widely offered and even recommended over VA care due to known, long-term staffing issues and wait times.
They told me to stick it out until August, and if I’m still dissatisfied they will try to “create” a testing position here. We’ve talked for many months now about getting me involved with C&P and police evaluations to no avail. Again, usually empty promises.
Some of this may be genuinely out of your supervisor's hands. I think there has been a recent national (?) push to outsource all/more C&Ps to private contractors to free up VA psychologists for therapy. Prior to leaving my last facility about a year ago, they transferred the remaining C&P only psychologists into other roles (against their desire) and eliminated that department. At my current facility, none of the staff psychologists do any C&P evals while there are sites around the country that still have staff involved in C&Ps.
I’d love to have a 50/50 split between testing and therapy, that would be ideal.
Hate to say it but if you're at a busy BHIP, I highly, highly doubt this would/could happen. If you're fully booked out and your next available/next 3rd available apt is weeks or even months out, there would literally be negative incentive for your direct supervisor, chief of psychology, and ACOS to reduce your open slots even further to accommodate new assessment slots. And given the option of potentially retaining you for longer or keeping open maximum access, I'm pretty certain they will choose keeping open access virtually every time. All of us are ultimately cogs in the machine and if any of us left a position, it's just a matter of time before somebody else gets slotted in.

Sounds like they might be getting a lot of pressure from above to get as many patients seen for initial evals within certain timelines, perhaps to avoid community care. Some hospital leadership feel more pressure to keep services in house because the more that folks go into community care, the more it impacts the hospital/dept's annual operating budget as community care dollars come out of the general operating budget for mental health (salaries, facilities, travel, etc). And at other places, community care is widely offered and even recommended over VA care due to known, long-term staffing issues and wait times.

Some of this may be genuinely out of your supervisor's hands. I think there has been a recent national (?) push to outsource all/more C&Ps to private contractors to free up VA psychologists for therapy. Prior to leaving my last facility about a year ago, they transferred the remaining C&P only psychologists into other roles (against their desire) and eliminated that department. At my current facility, none of the staff psychologists do any C&P evals while there are sites around the country that still have staff involved in C&Ps.

Hate to say it but if you're at a busy BHIP, I highly, highly doubt this would/could happen. If you're fully booked out and your next available/next 3rd available apt is weeks or even months out, there would literally be negative incentive for your direct supervisor, chief of psychology, and ACOS to reduce your open slots even further to accommodate new assessment slots. And given the option of potentially retaining you for longer or keeping open maximum access, I'm pretty certain they will choose keeping open access virtually every time. All of us are ultimately cogs in the machine and if any of us left a position, it's just a matter of time before somebody else gets slotted in.
Right. I have no doubt that if I left, I would be replaced immediately (4 months later due to VA onboarding). I can be fine with that I suppose. I am young in my career, and I don't have to have this position define me, especially if it's not aligning with what I want to do professionally. I will certainly try to stick it out until August to complete a year, but I have already been looking and applying elsewhere (both VA and non-VA positions). My spouse and I are also looking to move back to Florida, so, that might influence some of my decisions as well.

Yes, VA no longer does C&P exams in-house. We used to do them (ugh) and are no longer. I don't know anyone who is still doing them.

Yes, VA no longer does C&P exams in-house. We used to do them (ugh) and are no longer. I don't know anyone who is still doing them.
The VA I’m at does them in house, and the VA I did my internship at also did them in house; they actually required all psychologists to take on a % of those exams rather than have one psychologist doing them (that’s what they do at the current VA I’m at).

My probably outdated understanding is that all C&P evals will be contracted out eventually, but who knows when that'll happen.

RE: assessment, that can definitely vary from VA to VA and depend in large part on how supportive your local psychology chief and service-level leadership are of assessment. My last VA, for example, had a push by psychologists to support (non-neuro) assessment, but the biggest push at the service level was for reducing wait times and "increasing access," so psychologists wanting to provide assessments had trouble securing the resources needed to perform them--primarily any amount of protected time for report writing. As a neuropsychologist, I had increasing indirect pressure to start seeing more people (e.g., two/day without testing support), but I pushed back and my grid stayed with what I set it as.

My probably outdated understanding is that all C&P evals will be contracted out eventually, but who knows when that'll happen.

RE: assessment, that can definitely vary from VA to VA and depend in large part on how supportive your local psychology chief and service-level leadership are of assessment. My last VA, for example, had a push by psychologists to support (non-neuro) assessment, but the biggest push at the service level was for reducing wait times and "increasing access," so psychologists wanting to provide assessments had trouble securing the resources needed to perform them--primarily any amount of protected time for report writing. As a neuropsychologist, I had increasing indirect pressure to start seeing more people (e.g., two/day without testing support), but I pushed back and my grid stayed with what I set it as.
Yeah, my grid has changed a couple of times now, so I tend to see 14-16 therapy cases and up to 8 testing/assessment cases a week. It would be great to have some more protected time to write reports and such, but I’m really good at never leaving without a report or note being put in the chart, and I always leave on time every day.

It would be great to have some more protected time to write reports and such, but I’m really good at never leaving without a report or note being put in the chart, and I always leave on time every day.
With respect. This is not brag. ok?

With respect. This is not brag. ok?
Lol. Sorry, didn’t mean for it to come off that way. I have plenty of flaws. I am behind on probably 40 TMS trainings (120 days past due). I am still trying to improve getting in treatment plans by the 4th visit. And my to do list has just been growing lately.

Hey everyone! Feel free to remove this post if it doesn't belong in this thread but I had a question as a incoming intern who will be working at a VAMC. I am going to be getting married next month and plan on changing my last name. As I have heard it can be a long and frustrating process in just changing it, I am also going to be in the middle of onboarding as a new employee/intern to start in early July of this year. Does anyone have any advice in how to proceed? I'm okay with waiting longer if necessary but was possibly going to add my future husband to my insurance plan if it made sense - not sure if changing my last name to match my marriage certificate would create problems. I think for professional reasons too it would make sense to establish my new name as early as possible. Thanks for any and all advice!

I am also going to be in the middle of onboarding as a new employee/intern to start in early July of this year. Does anyone have any advice in how to proceed?
I started to onboard for my mid-July internship in mid-April. But this will vary facility by facility.

It might not be a bad idea to let your TD know now as they probably should know the best way to deal with this such as whether to onboard with your current name or legally married name and what timelines they are working on.

Mostly likely, getting your name legally changed prior to beginning any formal onboarding would be most ideal but certainly not required.

But if you can’t, no worries. Somebody at my VA postdoc changed legal names post onboarding and they just had to jump through some administrative hurdles. Hope you have a good internship year.

I started to onboard for my mid-July internship in mid-April. But this will vary facility by facility.

It might not be a bad idea to let your TD know now as they probably should know the best way to deal with this such as whether to onboard with your current name or legally married name and what timelines they are working on.

Mostly likely, getting your name legally changed prior to beginning any formal onboarding would be most ideal but certainly not required.

But if you can’t, no worries. Somebody at my VA postdoc changed legal names post onboarding and they just had to jump through some administrative hurdles. Hope you have a good internship year.
Thank you so much! Yes that's great idea to talk to the TD and I was planning to ask if them if I could talk to HR as they may be able to guide me on what would make the most sense. I should know more about the timeline next week once I received the official contract so I will let them know asap of the possible change. Thanks again!

I was planning to ask if them if I could talk to HR as they may be able to guide me on what would make the most sense
If you've never trained in the VA, its bureaucracy is a different beast. It will almost certainly make more sense for your TD to navigate any need HR stuff because the average HR person will no idea what a predoctoral psych intern is nor are they really incentivized to help find the best solution, like your TD since they will be responsible for navigating any snafus that come up.

If you've never trained in the VA, its bureaucracy is a different beast. It will almost certainly make more sense for your TD to navigate any need HR stuff because the average HR person will no idea what a predoctoral psych intern is nor are they really incentivized to help find the best solution, like your TD since they will be responsible for navigating any snafus that come up.
Okay thank you so much for the piece of advice! I have worked at several state agencies but never a VA. That is great insight, thank you!

The VA I’m at does them in house, and the VA I did my internship at also did them in house; they actually required all psychologists to take on a % of those exams rather than have one psychologist doing them (that’s what they do at the current VA I’m at).

The VA I'm at is the same - all psychologists had to do them, myself included. But that has since changed and we aren't doing them anymore. I think that all VAs will stop doing them in-house eventually.

The VA has motivated me to go back to therapy. It is both wonderful and terrible. The psychologist seems like a great fit for me, but I already see how much freedom there is in private practice.

Come on in, the water's nice.
But wait - who’s gonna regulate the temperature of the water? And when we can be in? And what the pool dress code is?!?!?!?!
The VA has motivated me to go back to therapy. It is both wonderful and terrible. The psychologist seems like a great fit for me, but I already see how much freedom there is in private practice.
Good luck taking care of yourself and figuring out this balance between increased autonomy of PP and other benefits versus whatever you find appealing about VA work.

• Care
But wait - who’s gonna regulate the temperature of the water? And when we can be in? And what the pool dress code is?!?!?!?!

For those who want some of the freedoms of PP, but still want the warm embrace of arbitrary rules and regs, for a small 5 figure fee per year, I will send you new random rules for office policy and nonsensical productivity benchmarks on a quarterly basis. If you miss the clientele, for another fee I'll come into your office monthly, verbally berate and threaten your staff, and threaten to complain to my senator.

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
In other news - despite having a conversation with my supervisor (who is also the chief) today, they informed me today that the previous offer to create a hybrid testing position for me in August will not be possible. So, to quote my new favorite TV show - "and just like that," my hopes and smidge of optimism I had for staying with the VA beyond August have gone down the toilet. They offered to write me letters on my behalf to anywhere I'd like to go should I find something more suitable.

• Care
For those who want some of the freedoms of PP, but still want the warm embrace of arbitrary rules and regs, for a small 5 figure fee per year, I will send you new random rules for office policy and nonsensical productivity benchmarks on a quarterly basis. If you miss the clientele, for another fee I'll come into your office monthly, verbally berate and threaten your staff, and threaten to complain to my senator.
We offer them the White House VA Hotline: 1-855-948-2311.

I think now, I am just focusing on completing a year come August, while simultaneously building my private practice and contracting with some groups to do forensic work. I have applied to some DoD positions as a lot of those jobs appear to be more assessment-focused.

I have applied to some DoD positions as a lot of those jobs appear to be more assessment-focused.
I did one DoD interview and they asked me about 20 questions in 30 mins, a lot of which are focused on whether I’d administered very specific assessments and how many I’d done. It was way too intense for my tastes lol.

I think now, I am just focusing on completing a year come August, while simultaneously building my private practice and contracting with some groups to do forensic work. I have applied to some DoD positions as a lot of those jobs appear to be more assessment-focused.

If you can make it 3 years, it is worth it. You keep your TSP match and retain internal candidate status.

Last edited:
If you can make it 3 years, it is worth it. You keep top match and retain internal candidate status.
Agreed RE: keeping your TSP employer match, if you're able to put up with it. I didn't know that about internal candidate status; is that kept indefinitely afterward?

Agreed RE: keeping your TSP employer match, if you're able to put up with it. I didn't know that about internal candidate status; is that kept indefinitely afterward?

I am far from an expert, but my understanding if you check OPM career tenure and reinstatement rules is that 3 years service in a permanent position grants you career tenure and allows for reinstatement rather than new hire status. What this means with regard to excepted service vs competitive service and all that I am not sure. But something to check out.

I am far from an expert, but my understanding if you check OPM career tenure and reinstatement rules is that 3 years service in a permanent position grants you career tenure and allows for reinstatement rather than new hire status. What this means with regard to excepted service vs competitive service and all that I am not sure. But something to check out.

I am barely hanging on for the next 4 months; I can't even fathom 2 more years. My supervisor is super invalidating of my career aspirations, so I am looking for a feasible way out of this that doesn't royally screw me over. I took this position vs. going to a post-doc in neuro or rehab psych, and over the last 7 months, the reget and resentment has been building up. It sucks that I am geographically restricted, but it is what it is, so I am trying to make the best of my situation.

• Care
get a puppy and watch the HBO series 'Rome' and fall in love with the Lucius Vorenus character? Dude advice, sorry.

I am barely hanging on for the next 4 months; I can't even fathom 2 more years. My supervisor is super invalidating of my career aspirations, so I am looking for a feasible way out of this that doesn't royally screw me over. I took this position vs. going to a post-doc in neuro or rehab psych, and over the last 7 months, the reget and resentment has been building up. It sucks that I am geographically restricted, but it is what it is, so I am trying to make the best of my situation.

Take a breather and go have some fun. Then realize that federal service does not just mean this job. There maybe other VA positions or other federal positions (in the prison system, etc.) that are a better fit for you. I would simply suggest taking a look around while you are in the system before you leave it. It can take a few years to find your professional "home" in the real world. That said, a career is about more than today. I tried several different things in my first few years out and landed at the VA because the slower pace is better for my life right now. I doubt I will be here my entire career, but the benefits will help set me up for later on. Your journey is just beginning and may not be a straight line.

Last edited:
Take a breather and go have some fun. Then realize that federal service does not just mean this job. There maybe other VA positions or other federal positions (in the prison system, etc.) that are a better fit for you. I would simply suggest taking a look around while you are in the system before you leave it. It can take a few years to find your professional "home" in the real world. That said, a career is about more than today. I tried several different things in my first few years out and landed at the VA because the slower pace is better for my life right now. I doubt I will be here my entire career, but the benefits will help set me up for later on. Your journey is just beginning and may not be a straight line.

Well said - I agree. Ideally, I have a strong desire to work for the DoD or one of the "3 letter agencies."

Vets Accuse VA Therapist of Abuse Involving Sex, Astrology, Psychedelic Drugs​

• Wow
  • Angry