VA Mental Health Provider Venting / Problem-solving / Peer Support Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yikes. ☹️ I don't doubt you had a different experience. Just sharing mine. I had a similar experience (at least based on your advice here) in a different setting (i.e., non VA) that was not a fit for me long term.

Just trying to convey to @ThatPsyGuy there is hope. I think PCMHI can be a mixed bag. I agree with the above advice in any setting and hope it ends up a good experience.
I'm glad you and others have had good experiences in VA training. I recognize the abusive stuff I experienced as a VA trainee is not the norm. I hope @ThatPsyGuy has a good experience and that my recs are unnecessary at the VA they work at. I also hope a variety of viewpoints, which may be contradicting, will help them be prepared (#bestdisneyvillainsong).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Let' see...today I kind of put my foot down with my supervisors and some colleagues of mine on my position of doing group no show calls. I think at one point I said to a colleague (who was attempting to justify the waste of provider resources to do these calls) - "hi sir, just calling to follow up on your missed appointment, would you like to re-schedule? - glad I went to earn a doctorate to say that noun and verb sentence."

Then I was basically told by my supervisors I need to make the calls. So, I caved in and said "understood." Today was more motivation to get my butt out of there.

On a different note, I got my first insurance client in private practice today.

• Care
I do wonder why these no-show calls have not become automated. There can be caring contact automated call set up.

All I'm saying.

Shark tank is coming up. Maybe someone can create/share that as an innovation.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I do wonder why these no-show calls have not become automated. There can be caring contact automated call set up.

All I'm saying.

Why would they spend money buying that when making providers do this costs them nothing? Got to be a good steward of taxpayer dollars so that the govt can buy more military equipment that does not work correctly.

• Haha
Life advice...keep your head down, pay off your debts, live below your means....down the line they have that conversation with you, you just tell them "I could do that or just go into PP and not have this headache and make more money". Then watch the panic in their eyes. It kind of becomes fun after a while.
I am relishing the thought of one month away when I give my notice for exactly all of the above. Still not sure if I want to give them the satisfaction of telling them I’m going into PP or just kind of say nicely, “None of your damned business.” But….also realize that I could panic and be wishing I had the VA job back after I leave! So many conflicting thoughts and emotions here!

Reactions: 1 users

All I'm saying.

No show calls have not become automated for the same reason as a hundred other efficiency-improving modifications have not been made to address the incredible levels of inconvenience experienced by mental health providers at the VA on a daily basis (most of which are amply documented in this thread).

Medical/professional providers are consistently treated as the 'lowest class' in the VA healthcare system and this is evident in the fact that every single time an issue pits the convenience of, say, providers against the convenience, say, of anyone else in this system (be they clerks/secretaries, janitors, administrators, veterans, or non-clinicians of any type), the provider is consistently told to 'suck eggs' and 'pound sand.' Can anyone cite a case where a decision was made (where there was conflict between providers and any of the aforementioned group) and administration made the decision to change things in the direction of increased provider convenience (vs. the other way around)? Over time these inconveniences and inefficiencies add up cumulatively and just absolutely demolish a provider's cognitive resources trying to deal with them over the course of a work shift with back-to-back-to-back-to-back sessions with little/no time to execute all of the inconvenient little tasks and the associated barriers.

I am beginning to believe that this is due to the combination of two factors: (1) the obvious motivation of administrators to suck up to their 'equals' (other supervisors) as well as 'higher-ups' in the institution and score 'credit' by making (on behalf of their supervisees in their service) concessions with respect to their own people in mental health--which is probably amplified in the mental health (particularly psychologist) line by (2) the general masochistic tendencies of the people in our field (this applies to both the perpetrating and receiving end of this equation).

Last edited:
I am relishing the thought of one month away when I give my notice for exactly all of the above. Still not sure if I want to give them the satisfaction of telling them I’m going into PP or just kind of say nicely, “None of your damned business.” But….also realize that I could panic and be wishing I had the VA job back after I leave! So many conflicting thoughts and emotions here!
Good luck with your move and I hope it brings success and greater satisfaction!

The sad thing is that even for the most well liked and valued employees, the primary response from somebody leaving likely won’t be ‘Oh wow, we are really going to miss Dr. X and veterans will miss out on their great care’ but ‘dammit, we have to go through HR to recruit again while figuring out how to transfer all these patients, reassign a bazillion MHTCs, and cancel a bunch future appointments while figuring out temporary flow coverage until we can onboard a replacement - what a hassle and waste of time’.

It’s times like these that I’ve especially felt the truth that we are just individual cogs within this machine.

Reactions: 3 users

The sad thing is that even for the most well liked and valued employees, the primary response from somebody leaving likely won’t be ‘Oh wow, we are really going to miss Dr. X and veterans will miss out on their great care’ but ‘dammit, we have to go through HR to recruit again while figuring out how to transfer all these patients, reassign a bazillion MHTCs, and cancel a bunch future appointments while figuring out temporary flow coverage until we can onboard a replacement - what a hassle and waste of time’.

It’s times like these that I’ve especially felt the truth that we are just individual cogs within this machine.
I wouldn't even mind being a cog in the machine if they would just throw a little oil our way from time to time.

The joy of being a small cog rather than management of any form is that these issues are not my problem. This is why I like my cboc life and left middle management life. At least when you own the practice, you make money from the headaches and it is worth it.

Reactions: 4 users

GIF by HBO India

That's me caring about others' opinions when I leave the VA and go into PP full time.

I would also mention that even if you left and you told them "listen folks, you guys suck for XYZ reasons and I would prefer to not develop an alcohol use disorder if I remain here," they'd still likely hire you back in the future as they will always be hurting for providers and too many leave and they refuse to adjust and address/resolve the issues that drive providers out. Thus, if they are willing to put up with your BS, then you can come back and pick up where you left off with putting up with their BS. :)

GIF by HBO India

That's me caring about others' opinions when I leave the VA and go into PP full time.

I would also mention that even if you left and you told them "listen folks, you guys suck for XYZ reasons and I would prefer to not develop an alcohol use disorder if I remain here," they'd still likely hire you back in the future as they will always be hurting for providers and too many leave and they refuse to adjust and address/resolve the issues that drive providers out. Thus, if they are willing to put up with your BS, then you can come back and pick up where you left off with putting up with their BS. :)

I will purchase you the cocktail of your choice if you show up dressed like that to profer your resignation. :rofl:

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
First time I've ever heard of a VA psychologist surrendering their license / job. Factual Allegations on page 11.

You know, read through the whole thing and I still can't figure out how someone sends "thousands of calls and texts" over a twelve day period. Where do you find the time. I don't even speak to my wife that much.

• Haha
You know, read through the whole thing and I still can't figure out how someone sends "thousands of calls and texts" over a twelve day period. Where do you find the time. I don't even speak to my wife that much.
Maybe you'd be more communicative with a brand new mistress? (Kidding, kidding!)

I wonder if they have one of those rapid fire texting styles like this, which captures about 30 seconds of real time. If not, then I feel really bad for the person who had to read thousands of massive paragraphs of word jumble during the investigation.
Hey
What's up
Whatcha doing?
I'm chilling
Not rly
I miss you
Like a lot
Like really a lot
Call me?
No seriously call or txt me
Helllloooooo???
???????

Agreed. This behavior is appalling. Some people, including some psychologists, are eat up with the *******.

Maybe you'd be more communicative with a brand new mistress? (Kidding, kidding!)

Nah, my mistresses are usually silent and topless and it is usually a short term affair. My wife is pretty understanding of the the extra costs, though she hates the extra driveway space they take up. Currently considering a longer term fling with a Mustang, but I need to make room in the garage first! ;)

• Haha
Nah, my mistresses are usually silent and topless and it is usually a short term affair. My wife is pretty understanding of the the extra costs, though she hates the extra driveway space they take up. Currently considering a longer term fling with a Mustang, but I need to make room in the garage first! ;)

#priorities

The VA either needs to give us more admin time or decrease administrative tasks. Something's gotta give.

The VA either needs to give us more admin time or decrease administrative tasks. Something's gotta give.
Such has been the (increasing) case for years, unfortunately, but it does seem that the pace of additional administrative burdens was picking up over the past few years.

My bet is neither will happen. All of the VA's actions point to an interest in keeping early career folks that are willing to put up with this stuff. The older folks have the pension handcuffs. Mid career folks in fers-frae are largely getting the shaft altogether.

Reactions: 3 users

I already do this. I max out with only seeing 4 people a day, or if I have a group then I only see the group plus 3 individuals that day. I sometimes attend meetings. I no show appointments once they are 15 minutes late and I only make 1 no show call for my individual patients the day of their appointment they miss. I only do TMS crap when I get a strongly worded email from our education department. I use templated notes, pre-full out my notes before I see my patients, then type in the notes during session that way when I am done with my appointment, their note, RTC and encounter are all done and I have 10 minutes before my next appointment. I always end at the 45 mark (all of my sessions start at the top of the hour). For group, I give myself a full hour for notes as it was recently demanded of me that in addition to my normal group notes, I have to go track down my group no shows, call them, have a conversation to remind them they are enrolled in group and their next group meeting is the following day (glad I got my doctorate for this bit)....and I have to put in their group no show. I basically told my supervisors that if they insist I do group no shows, I need a full hour for all this crap.

I already do this. I max out with only seeing 4 people a day, or if I have a group then I only see the group plus 3 individuals that day. I sometimes attend meetings. I no show appointments once they are 15 minutes late and I only make 1 no show call for my individual patients the day of their appointment they miss. I only do TMS crap when I get a strongly worded email from our education department. I use templated notes, pre-full out my notes before I see my patients, then type in the notes during session that way when I am done with my appointment, their note, RTC and encounter are all done and I have 10 minutes before my next appointment. I always end at the 45 mark (all of my sessions start at the top of the hour). For group, I give myself a full hour for notes as it was recently demanded of me that in addition to my normal group notes, I have to go track down my group no shows, call them, have a conversation to remind them they are enrolled in group and their next group meeting is the following day (glad I got my doctorate for this bit)....and I have to put in their group no show. I basically told my supervisors that if they insist I do group no shows, I need a full hour for all this crap.

I generally do these things too, but my colleagues are really struggling (and I don't want them to leave! They're all very good psychologists).

I generally do these things too, but my colleagues are really struggling (and I don't want them to leave! They're all very good psychologists).
Out of curiosity, is your site requiring use of Mental Health Suite treatment plans (and 'integration' of med plans), Problems-->Goals-->Objectives-->Intervention treatment planning formats with plan 'expiration' dates, etc.?

This is a BIG additional administrative burden that varies across sites. At our site, not only do we have to use MH Suite 'treatment planning' software to double-chart everything in CPRS, but they've actually blocked time for some clinical staff to do 'audits' to play 'gotcha games' if you're caught without 'updated' plans in MHS.

We've had a few quality psychologists leave recently (one who just got his ABPP) although the Mental Health Provider satisfaction surveys always show that we're happier than a bunch of clams.

I hear ya, and same where I work. Unfortunately, I can't make decisions for others and how they opt to set boundaries (or not) and how they manage their time. There are a lot of factors that go beyond what I know of them and their practice. For those reasons, I can only control what I do (and don't do), so I make a choice to set those boundaries even if that means others are struggling themselves. They are more than capable of making decisions for themselves. Sometimes, that means leaving, and I am seriously reaching that point despite all of these boundaries I set for myself. At some point working upstream for a certain period of time can only go on for so long where tough decisions need to be made. That is why ever day that I finish that was crappy....motivates me to do more in my private practice (e.g., marketing, networking, establishing contracts, researching and applying better trends in content copy on my website, etc.). I do a little each day as to improve my position one week to the next so that eventually, I can get the heck out of here when I want to on my terms, not theirs.

Reactions: 1 user
Out of curiosity, is your site requiring use of Mental Health Suite treatment plans (and 'integration' of med plans), Problems-->Goals-->Objectives-->Intervention treatment planning formats with plan 'expiration' dates, etc.?

This is a BIG additional administrative burden that varies across sites. At our site, not only do we have to use MH Suite 'treatment planning' software to double-chart everything in CPRS, but they've actually blocked time for some clinical staff to do 'audits' to play 'gotcha games' if you're caught without 'updated' plans in MHS.

We've had a few quality psychologists leave recently (one who just got his ABPP) although the Mental Health Provider satisfaction surveys always show that we're happier than a bunch of clams.

Yup, MHS has been a big issue, amongst other things.

I didn't know a single (non-"champion") provider at my VA who liked MHS, although it also was a bit buggy from what I heard. Pretty sure there would've been resignations en masse if it'd been required, especially on top of the already-cumbersome CPRS reminders and what not.

I didn't know a single (non-"champion") provider at my VA who liked MHS, although it also was a bit buggy from what I heard. Pretty sure there would've been resignations en masse if it'd been required, especially on top of the already-cumbersome CPRS reminders and what not.

I don't do clinical reminders :)

I don't do clinical reminders :)
Can't say I blame you. I didn't do most as they weren't relevant to my appointments, although would knock them out if pertinent (e.g., fit a C-SSRS into my clinical interview). The downside to not doing them is that someone, somewhere then has to do them later; where I was, it usually it rolled down to primary care or, sometimes, the treating MH provider, depending on the reminder. So I tried to help them when I could.

Can't say I blame you. I didn't do most as they weren't relevant to my appointments, although would knock them out if pertinent (e.g., fit a C-SSRS into my clinical interview). The downside to not doing them is that someone, somewhere then has to do them later; where I was, it usually it rolled down to primary care or, sometimes, the treating MH provider, depending on the reminder. So I tried to help them when I could.
The 'strategy' of 'screening' for clinical depression with a couple of yes/no questions was also somewhat flawed, in my opinion, since I was generally 'screening' for depression in a patient I was conducting a full psychiatric interview with and was obviously addressing that clinical issue. In some cases, they were already formally diagnosed with the disorder for which I was ostensibly 'screening' them. In this sense, they make far more sense to use in primary care.

The 'strategy' of 'screening' for clinical depression with a couple of yes/no questions was also somewhat flawed, in my opinion, since I was generally 'screening' for depression in a patient I was conducting a full psychiatric interview with and was obviously addressing that clinical issue. In some cases, they were already formally diagnosed with the disorder for which I was ostensibly 'screening' them. In this sense, they make far more sense to use in primary care.

Only if they are done correctly. Don't send me a referral of a severely depressed patient with a seemingly negative depression screen. Which is it? Did the PCP make you depressed mid appointment?

• Haha
Only if they are done correctly. Don't send me a referral of a severely depressed patient with a seemingly negative depression screen. Which is it? Did the PCP make you depressed mid appointment?
They lie all the time on those things. I doubt the questions are ever even asked 40+% of the time. I've had patients who were 100% s/c for PTSD for whom the primary care folks had documented all 'no's' on the PC-PTSD screener. I've seen cases of patients presenting to urgent care with documented suicidal intent (hospitalized that day) with 'negative' Columbias (all no's) entered into the chart dated the same day of the encounter. The saddest thing is that a number of research studies actually use those screeners as data input for their published papers.

Edit: I'd also like to add that, SINCE they LIE (falsify) all the time on those things...not only is it not 'helpful' to mandate the screenings, it's actually harm/confusion-inducing to do so. Someone reviewing the chart often is reading false signals in the form of a "negative" screen that was never actually conducted.

See 'Coercion and It's Fallout' and 'The Tyranny of Metrics'---both great books.

It also doesn't help that the VA administrative culture generally enacts an ethic of using 'doublespeak,' and has an aversion to the truth. The amount of falsified documentation is rampant and unaddressed yet I receive daily emails about the organizational commitment and ethics and a 'high reliability organization.'

Last edited:
I agree that most of the screening measures are probably most appropriate for primary care, unless they relate to something you might not normally discuss in your appointment. I wish they'd give specialty providers the option of basically opting out of a reminder or substituting a different measure (e.g., if you have the BDI-II, why do you need to also then give the PHQ-9; if there's a PTSD reminder due and you know the person still meets criteria for PTSD, you just check, "still has PTSD," etc.).

I mean, self-report is always going to have limitations, especially where suicide is concerned.

And, yeah, don't get me started on reminders, especially things like screening for depression and PTSD when the patient is already established and often being treated for those issues! VA national is actually is working on reducing them because poor Primary Care is swamped. Even the MST reminder, which I believe is VERY important, there is this obsession with numbers and metrics often to the detriment of common sense (sorry, I'm not gonna tell a provider to screen an 80-year-old patient with Alzheimers who's in a nursing facility). And the duty falls to the lower level staff to enforce it and improve these metrics when we can't really do much other than keep bugging providers, which has its limitations.

They lie all the time on those things. I doubt the questions are ever even asked 40+% of the time. I've had patients who were 100% s/c for PTSD for whom the primary care folks had documented all 'no's' on the PC-PTSD screener. I've seen cases of patients presenting to urgent care with documented suicidal intent (hospitalized that day) with 'negative' Columbias (all no's) entered into the chart dated the same day of the encounter. The saddest thing is that a number of research studies actually use those screeners as data input for their published papers.

Edit: I'd also like to add that, SINCE they LIE (falsify) all the time on those things...not only is it not 'helpful' to mandate the screenings, it's actually harm/confusion-inducing to do so. Someone reviewing the chart often is reading false signals in the form of a "negative" screen that was never actually conducted.

See 'Coercion and It's Fallout' and 'The Tyranny of Metrics'---both great books.

It also doesn't help that the VA administrative culture generally enacts an ethic of using 'doublespeak,' and has an aversion to the truth. The amount of falsified documentation is rampant and unaddressed yet I receive daily emails about the organizational commitment and ethics and a 'high reliability organization.'
The bolded factor, and also the use of diagnoses in the chart and the assumption they're accurate, is why I think it's always important to take VA studies that use chart review/information with a large grain of salt.

Also yes, it's (IMO) worse to not do a measure at all than to falsify it, particularly by answering all "no's" on the patient's behalf when none of the questions were asked. After all, screening measures are designed typically to be more sensitive than specific, so that just defeats their entire purpose.

It's frustrating the reminders don't always clear unless I enter the information again in the extra special menu.

How do you guys handle calling no shows? Do you wait until the appt is almost over, or do it within like 15 min of the appt start time? I like to wait until the appt is almost over unless it's an EBP, in which case I call sooner.

How do you guys handle calling no shows? Do you wait until the appt is almost over, or do it within like 15 min of the appt start time? I like to wait until the appt is almost over unless it's an EBP, in which case I call sooner.

So I typically wait once it's 20 minutes past so that way I can emphasize that the VA's policy is to no show the appointment when they dont show within 15 minutes, and, it highlights to them that if we were to meet now, we would only have about 20 minutes left as I stop my sessions exactly at the 45 mark, which means I am wrapping up the conversation at the 40 minute mark so I can get them re-scheduled, etc. I am not a miracle worker, and I don't see 20 minutes being all that useful.

I do it as soon as I consider it a no show (15 - 25mins after appt time, depending on clinic) which gives me time to make the call, transfer to MSA and/or enter the RTC. If they don't pick up, I have a plain text file on my desktop where I note last name and last four and keep track of number of times attempted. I hate having things left 'hanging' during my shift so I try to dispense with the task ASAP.

This gives me a few precious minute's space within which to pull up the chart of the next veteran and prep for their session a bit.

I would usually call after about 30 minutes typically (for an outpatient neuropsych assessment appt). For follow-up/feedback sessions, which were an hour, I'd usually call after about 15 minutes. That way, I'd hopefully find out if they were on the way and just running late, or had completely forgotten and we were going to need to reschedule.

If they didn't answer, I'd leave a message, wait 10-15 minutes, and try again. I usually didn't leave a message after the second call. My third call would typically come at the end of the day or the next day, although at this point, I can't recall if I needed to make a third call or if the letter sent by MAS counted as a contact attempt.

I usually call after 15-20 min. However, HBPC has no scheduled appts so I can be flexible with VVC/phone. For the few OPMH folks it is also 15 min and I generally refuse to see if they call back after the 30 min mark.

Want to really be pissed off...drive 80 miles to a patient's house only to have them and/or their caregiver not be home despite confirming the appt the day before. Then drive 80 miles back with no rvus. Had it happen a few times and with the newfound emphasis on productivity it is enough to make me quit if I ever go back to being in person full time or ever hear any complaints about productivity.

I usually call after 15-20 min. However, HBPC has no scheduled appts so I can be flexible with VVC/phone. For the few OPMH folks it is also 15 min and I generally refuse to see if they call back after the 30 min mark.

Want to really be pissed off...drive 80 miles to a patient's house only to have them and/or their caregiver not be home despite confirming the appt the day before. Then drive 80 miles back woth no rvus. Had it happen a few times and with the newfound emphasis on productivity it is enough to make me quit if I ever go back to being in person full time or ever hear any complaints about productivity.

I drove out once and the Vet would not let me in because they thought it was a scam, even though the visit was scheduled. Ended up having to call in to the VA to confirm my identity and everything.

• Haha
I would usually call after about 30 minutes typically (for an outpatient neuropsych assessment appt). For follow-up/feedback sessions, which were an hour, I'd usually call after about 15 minutes. That way, I'd hopefully find out if they were on the way and just running late, or had completely forgotten and we were going to need to reschedule.

If they didn't answer, I'd leave a message, wait 10-15 minutes, and try again. I usually didn't leave a message after the second call. My third call would typically come at the end of the day or the next day, although at this point, I can't recall if I needed to make a third call or if the letter sent by MAS counted as a contact attempt.
Here we have a written no-show policy that 'allows' the first attempt to be made during the appointment time of the missed appointment and that requires at least two separate phone calls to be placed on two separate dates. The policy does not stipulate that we must call every single business day (after the no show) or even, in fact, stipulate a 'deadline' (days elapsed since the no show) to complete and document all 3 phone attempts plus a mailed letter--although the 'gotcha auditors' vary greatly with respect to their own imposed interpretations of a passed or failed no show follow up audit.

The most hilariously ridiculous part of the policy is the following:

"If the provider is unsuccessful in reaching the patient after three attempts, the provider will determine if local law enforcement should be contacted. Contacting local law enforcement for assistance is recommended when risk of harm is deemed to be imminent and should be based upon the documented clinical determination of imminent risk."

Note that this applies to ALL no shows (not just high suicide risk flagged veterans).

Also note that it requires that the provider engage in a "determination of imminent risk (which is 'deemed to be imminent')" according to the "documented clinical determination of imminent risk" which the astute reader will recognize as an utterly vacuous, circular and meaningless statement. Spoken like folks who are in charge of clinical care and know the buzzwords/incantations associated with clinical care but who obviously do not ever administer actual clinical care to patients. Nowhere in the policy does it address the obvious inability of a provider who cannot contact (and, therefore, cannot meaningfully 'assess' the patient in order to 'determine' imminent risk) to conduct and document an actual 'evaluation' of current level of risk. I mean, they no showed and haven't returned my call. Both events occur at a high base rates in this population and hardly--in and of themselves--constitute some sort of 'signal' event indicating that imminent suicide is likely. The way the policy is written seems to imply that the provider is responsible for documenting his rationale why he is NOT calling the cops to do a welfare check in response to the no show and lack of immediate call back by the patient at that point. Obviously, the only thing you have to base your assessment on is past history and the chart at that point. Another local clinician once referred to our local no show policy as, 'oh yeah...that policy that needs to DIE IN A FIRE!"

I drove out once and the Vet would not let me in because they thought it was a scam, even though the visit was scheduled. Ended up having to call in to the VA to confirm my identity and everything.
I mean you're pretty sketchy...might have been trying to sell them Amway products or something. ;):rofl:

• Haha
For new patients I call 15 mins in. For established patients I call 5 mins in. I don't like uncertainty.

These days for VVC appointments I call usually between 1 - 2 minutes after the appointment start time for the same reason. I just want to get it over with and half the time they 'didn't get the email' or claim they didn't. So I'll verify their email address and launch an ad hoc 'VVC Now' (or whatever you call it) session. Then we often get to spend another 10-20 mins troubleshooting connection (audio/video) issues and, if needed, another 10 or 20 more minutes on a three way conference call with the VVC (Office of Connected Care?) IT help jockeys. Then we can knock out a few clinical reminders, I can ask them if they are suicidal/homicidal, and we can call it a day.