This is going to be a long post here.
To keep myself busy and justify my low HBPC caseload (currently doing 1-2 visits/day; patients live in the range of 15-90 mins travel distance from the VA), I agreed to help out PCMHI. Right now, I only have a VVC clinic for outpatient cases. While the other clinics that can be used for PCMHI are still in the work to be built, some providers heard from the grapevine and started giving me referrals. Referrals are great, but I don't have a phone clinic or a regular clinic to document telephone and F2F encounters.
The primary care providers seem to be very excited about getting extra help. We are a very small VA and there are no BHL techs to do the baseline. No MSA has been designated to me to make scheduling calls. In case I need to do a risk assessment and/or a safety plan over the phone, I don't see a way to document appropriately in CPRS. Due to my concerns, I have not called the new referrals whose risk levels are unclear. My supervisor is very fair, and I don't feel being pressured by her to get on with the referrals right away. She sent a group email out to let the primary providers know that I won't be able to see any referrals unless they are willing and able to be seen via VVC.
I have reached out to one of the referrals who never used VVC before; however, claims VVC capability. Not having a phone clinic for PCMHI, I documented all our initial telephone contacts as addendums to a note entered by the referring provider. Also added comments to the consult note. This patient presented to have a lot of protective factors and doesn't seem to be at high risk at this moment. The likelihood that he would call me for crisis is slim, although that can change. Nonetheless, we were able to schedule a VVC follow-up and I plan to use VVC Now for the upcoming session. Continue to document telephone contacts/encounters as addendums is somewhat problematic, in case VVC doesn't work out in one of the sessions or doesn't work out at all. Things move VERY slow at my VA, and I am not sure how long will it take to have my clinics built.
There is another referral who is supposedly VVC capable and possibly willing to do VVC that I might be able to pick up as a new patient. The most recent C-SSRS was negative, and the patient is referred for depression, anxiety, and "complicated PTSD." This patient is currently a full-time student at an out-of-state university that is about 12 hours driving distance from us. At my last VA, we usually connect veterans to their close CBOC if there isn't a closeby VA hospital. This patient currently lives in a metro area, and there is a Level 1a VA hospital about 20 minutes away from the University that the patient is attending. I wouldn't mind providing transitional care if enrollment and registering with the new VA will take time. However, if the veteran prefers to be treated at my VA, are there any ethical or clinical concerns? My role is limited to providing PCHMI level brief treatment. If the patient needs a greater level of care, then I would refer to MHC. Shouldn't the patient be referred to the Level 1a metro VA instead of my VA? I am hesitant to call the patient and establish treatment without thinking it through. Wonder what your thoughts are.
Thanks a million!