VA pharmacists; what step gs-12?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BaSsHeAd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who work or have worked for the VA at a gs12 position, what step did you begin at? Is it negotiable when offered a job?

Members don't see this ad.

If you are being offered a gs 12 position for a staff position jump on it. Generally speaking 11 is for staffers 12 is for clinicians and 13 for management. It is a lot easier to move up steps ie vs 12 step 1 to 2 vs moving up grades (12 TO 13) There maybe some room to negotiate ie show credentials ie diabetes cert or years experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are being offered a gs 12 position for a staff position jump on it. Generally speaking 11 is for staffers 12 is for clinicians and 13 for management. It is a lot easier to move up steps ie vs 12 step 1 to 2 vs moving up grades (12 TO 13) There maybe some room to negotiate ie show credentials ie diabetes cert or years experience.

All pharmacists start at at least a GS12 nowadays. I think starting at GS11 happened years ago.

Reactions: 3 users
what if i’m coming from a previous gs11, step 10 position that i’ve held for 14 or so months with a yearly salary of 126K. what step in gs12 would be equivalent to that in the VA, money wise?

what if i’m coming from a previous gs11, step 10 position that i’ve held for 14 or so months with a yearly salary of 126K. what step in gs12 would be equivalent to that in the VA, money wise?

It depends on locality, but that can either mean midrange in rest of US or below the Step 1 in NY or CA.