VA Salaries Post Post-Doc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pittpsych2014

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm curious about other people's experiences negotiating salary for a VA psychologist position following one year of postdoctoral experience. I was told by my VA I would be coming in at a GS-12 Step 1 regardless of my licensure status given that I recently completed a one-year postdoctoral fellowship. (I will not be licensed until mid 2018 as I've just started studying for EPPP.) I'm wondering if this grade scale (12) is common for those with postdocs regardless of location, etc? I'm expecting to get my final offer letter soon with salary and wanted to make sure I case I need to make negotiations. Have others also successful negotiated for higher steps within this Grade scale and how so? I'm new to the VA so I appreciate any feedback!

Many thanks,
M

Members don't see this ad.

GS 12 step 1 sounds right for 1 year of experience. It tends to be pretty standard across VAs. There's sometimes wiggle room with steps based on experience and need, but grades are fairly set-in-stone depending on qualifications, experience, and job responsibilities. At least for clinical positions; things can potentially change a bit in research.

GS 12 step 1 sounds right for 1 year of experience. It tends to be pretty standard across VAs. There's sometimes wiggle room with steps based on experience and need, but grades are fairly set-in-stone depending on qualifications, experience, and job responsibilities. At least for clinical positions; things can potentially change a bit in research.
I think 12-1 sounds spot on for what you're describing. To get a step increase, you'd have to make a pretty compelling story. Will you be promoted to grade 13 upon licensure?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think 12-1 sounds spot on for what you're describing. To get a step increase, you'd have to make a pretty compelling story. Will you be promoted to grade 13 upon licensure?

My guess is the promotion to 13 would occur with both licensure and accrual of an additional year of experience.

Even with 1.5 years of post doc I started as a GS-12 step 1.

Yep. I'm sure there can be variability from site to site, but in my system, anything less than 2 full calendar years (even 2 or 3 days) is a GS 12. Once you hit 2 years, then you're bumped up to 13 at your next pay period. Theoretically.

Actually, some VAs won't promote you until you've spent a year as a GS-12, regardless of how long your post doc was.

Actually, some VAs won't promote you until you've spent a year as a GS-12, regardless of how long your post doc was.

I imagine that is due to an HR dept that does not actually understand the GS guidance for psychologists in addition to a mental health leadership that has done nothing to correct this misinformation. Man, I do not miss VA HR one bit.

Reactions: 1 user
I imagine that is due to an HR dept that does not actually understand the GS guidance for psychologists in addition to a mental health leadership that has done nothing to correct this misinformation. Man, I do not miss VA HR one bit.

Yeah, pretty much. Although my administration actually did try to correct them.

Did you attempt to negotiate? I had same issue, and negotiated 12-step 4 for 7 months until i was bumped to 13. It was like a 10k difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Did you attempt to negotiate? I had same issue, and negotiated 12-step 4 for 7 months until i was bumped to 13. It was like a 10k difference.

Yeah, the only times I've heard of negotiation for a higher step work is when the VA is in an undesirable location. That being said, I didn't do an effective job of negotiating.

Yeah, the only times I've heard of negotiation for a higher step work is when the VA is in an undesirable location. That being said, I didn't do an effective job of negotiating.

I suppose that's probably true, generally speaking. I was blunt and left no wiggle room when doing that cause it was all through HR, who then ran it through COS, so my direct supervisor was not in the loop, which made it easier I think.

I think I could have done a better job of negotiating my current position salary, but a second round of negotiations have to go through my boss, I knew there were other candidates on the list, and I really wanted out the VA. lol

Last edited: