vacations for md/phd students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kelpy

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It might vary from school to school, but Minnesota-Twin Cities gives two weeks, outside of normal holidays.

This all depends on your, the lab's and the school's philosophy. If you want to get done quickly with your research, then you may not take vacations. The lab could be a family oriented lab or a research oriented one. The school generally have holidays, but again, this may depend upon you and your philosophy. And yes, there is time to have a social life outside of school.

Members don't see this ad :)
This depends on the institution and the policies of the grad school, the med school, and your MST program. For example, my med school (CWRU) gives me a spring break, but the grad school does not (AFAIK).

From what I can tell, most programs have an average completion time of ~8 years. It's OK to ask a school this in interviews.

I have a reasonable amount of free time, despite taking a grad class on top of the med school stuff. It's not a lot, mind you, but it's enough to keep my sanity. Generally, a program won't accept you if they don't think you can handle it. I was really worried about the workload since I was just an average student in college and had been out of school for awhile before doing the MSTP thing (I'm pretty sure they only accepted me because of my pretty convincing declaration that research is da bomb! ;)). I'm doing OK. I go out with various groups of friends and have plenty of fun. I always score below the class mean on tests, but I've gotten an A on every grad school assignment, including the mock grant (woo hoo!). Basically, if a school accepts you, you can do it. Just put in the work and the rest will follow.

Of course, I'm just an MS1 and rumor has it that it's all uphill from here!

-X

kelpy said:
Hi,
I am a prospective MSTP student and I was wondering how many weeks of vacation MD/PHD students usually get in addition to national holidays? Also, is it hard to have a social life when you are struggling to balance both research and med school? Do you have free time? Also, how hard is it to graduate in eight years and is there anything one can do beforehand to graduate on time?

I highly recommend taking vacations during graduate school. The time off is quite rewarding and I don't think I could have made it this far without time to clear my head and relax.

Grad school is a great time for vacations. The schedule isn't rigid like med school, so basically it's up to you and your mentor how much and when you can take off. Most PIs treat graduate students like adults, and let you decide how to balance taking time off with getting done in a decent amount of time.

I took long weekends here and there, went to visit my parents for a couple weeks each xmas, and once I took off a month to go to Greece. My advisor couldn't really complain, as she spend the same month in Africa :laugh: