Vaccinations for Acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

freshbeatschris

New Phuture
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
At Midwestern - CCP you need to have QUANTITATIVE immunization tests taken. This means that you not only need to be vaccinated against measles, mumps, rubella, TB, hepatitis B, but you need to be a certain percentage immunized against these diseases. We were told that most of the older applicants probably would not be immunized enough against these diseases and should get started on the vaccinations right away after being accepted.

Has anyone else encountered this at any other school? Is it pretty much the same from school to school, or is Midwestern requiring a bit more than others? In particular, those of you who are going to UIC, do they require the same level of immunization as Midwestern?

What was it like to get through these months of shots? Where did you get them done? Did you go through the school?

Thanks in advance for your help...

Chris

Members don't see this ad.

freshbeatschris said:
At Midwestern - CCP you need to have QUANTITATIVE immunization tests taken. This means that you not only need to be vaccinated against measles, mumps, rubella, TB, hepatitis B, but you need to be a certain percentage immunized against these diseases. We were told that most of the older applicants probably would not be immunized enough against these diseases and should get started on the vaccinations right away after being accepted.

Has anyone else encountered this at any other school? Is it pretty much the same from school to school, or is Midwestern requiring a bit more than others? In particular, those of you who are going to UIC, do they require the same level of immunization as Midwestern?

What was it like to get through these months of shots? Where did you get them done? Did you go through the school?

Thanks in advance for your help...

Chris
I think most schools are that way. At least both UT-Memphis and UNC require titer drawn for Hep-B and also a TB skin test. I'm not sure if they require titers drawn for the MMR and the other vaccines or not. UT allows you the entire P1 year to get your HepB, but UNC will nulllify your acceptance if you don't have the HepB series finished by the first of August. Meaning that you have to start the series before Feb 1st, even before I know if I am accepted. They were very serious about it and said that you would lose your place in the class if you did not have the series finished before school starts.

I know UT will reimburse for the HepB vaccine, but that's the only one. I still need to call and see if you can have the titers drawn at the schools, but I am going to wait and see where I decide to go, first.

I started the HepB series at my local health department. It was even cheaper than the university student clinic. The HepB and the Meningitis and the Polio vaccines are the expensive ones. Tetnus and MMR aren't that bad. I had MMR and Tetnus about 5 years ago, so I hope all I have to do on those is do the titer. Overall my vaccinations are going to cost about $275.

If you know you have had any of the required vaccinations recently, you should go have titers done at a doctors office. The university clinic at my school does not do these and neither does the health dept., so that means I am going to have to shell out some money to pay for an office visit :rolleyes: But it is better to spend the money on the titers, first, I think.... rather than just get a vaccine that you don't need. Some one may tell you otherwise, but I don't feel comfortable just dumping vaccine in my body if I don't need it but that's just me.

Actually I need to get started on those Hep B shots.
UF requires MMR, Hep B, Tb test, Varicella (or titer,or history of disease). Meningitis (or waiver) is not required by COP, but yes for UF.
But for MMR, they say on their forms that it lasts a lifetime.
Tetanus and Diph. during the last ten years.

Members don't see this ad :)
usi said:
Actually I need to get started on those Hep B shots.
UF requires MMR, Hep B, Tb test, Varicella (or titer,or history of disease). Meningitis (or waiver) is not required by COP, but yes for UF.
But for MMR, they say on their forms that it lasts a lifetime.
Tetanus and Diph. during the last ten years.

Don't be surprised if you are advised to get another MMR. You should have received 2 doses of MMR by age 18. After 18, the CDC guideline is one dose UNLESS you are a high risk individual which the CDC defines as college students & healthcare workers (which would be all of you - congrats!). Be sure to get right on getting all your immunizations - you'll be glad when you have to get the drug history of the patient with varicella!

sdn1977 said:
Don't be surprised if you are advised to get another MMR. You should have received 2 doses of MMR by age 18. After 18, the CDC guideline is one dose UNLESS you are a high risk individual which the CDC defines as college students & healthcare workers (which would be all of you - congrats!). Be sure to get right on getting all your immunizations - you'll be glad when you have to get the drug history of the patient with varicella!
MMR I was in my 20s
Varicella I had it when I was little

I work in healthcare, and I just had to get my varicella titer done at work. Well, one down. I already made an appointment with my doctor so that we can get started on doing titers for the other ones. I called the health department about the meningitis shot, and it's $100. I wonder what the doctor's office will charge.

DHG said:
Overall my vaccinations are going to cost about $275.QUOTE]

:rolleyes: Just add it on to the already insane amount of money you've spent trying to get in to school. No biggie. Good grief....:laugh:

DHG said:
I think most schools are that way. At least both UT-Memphis and UNC require titer drawn for Hep-B and also a TB skin test. I'm not sure if they require titers drawn for the MMR and the other vaccines or not. UT allows you the entire P1 year to get your HepB, but UNC will nulllify your acceptance if you don't have the HepB series finished by the first of August. Meaning that you have to start the series before Feb 1st, even before I know if I am accepted. They were very serious about it and said that you would lose your place in the class if you did not have the series finished before school starts.

I know UT will reimburse for the HepB vaccine, but that's the only one. I still need to call and see if you can have the titers drawn at the schools, but I am going to wait and see where I decide to go, first.

I started the HepB series at my local health department. It was even cheaper than the university student clinic. The HepB and the Meningitis and the Polio vaccines are the expensive ones. Tetnus and MMR aren't that bad. I had MMR and Tetnus about 5 years ago, so I hope all I have to do on those is do the titer. Overall my vaccinations are going to cost about $275.

If you know you have had any of the required vaccinations recently, you should go have titers done at a doctors office. The university clinic at my school does not do these and neither does the health dept., so that means I am going to have to shell out some money to pay for an office visit :rolleyes: But it is better to spend the money on the titers, first, I think.... rather than just get a vaccine that you don't need. Some one may tell you otherwise, but I don't feel comfortable just dumping vaccine in my body if I don't need it but that's just me.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is varicella? I haven't heard of that one.

I am 30 and obviously had MMR when I was a baby, but I don't think that will be enough.

I had tetanus about a year ago when I tangled with a metal fence... oops.

Fortunatley, all Midwestern requires is that you have at least STARTED the HepB series.

So basically, from all these posts, I can safely say that it is rather universal that they all be done for any school. That's what I needed to know. As soon as I get my matriculation packet, I will start doling out the blood.

Thanks for your help.

Chris

freshbeatschris said:
Forgive my ignorance, but what is varicella? I haven't heard of that one.

I am 30 and obviously had MMR when I was a baby, but I don't think that will be enough.

I had tetanus about a year ago when I tangled with a metal fence... oops.

Fortunatley, all Midwestern requires is that you have at least STARTED the HepB series.

So basically, from all these posts, I can safely say that it is rather universal that they all be done for any school. That's what I needed to know. As soon as I get my matriculation packet, I will start doling out the blood.

Thanks for your help.

Chris
chicken pox

These is a chunk in the pharmacy students (other forum) FAQ about the immunizations most schools require. But, it doesn't answer your questions completely. My school accepted official vaccination records and allowed titers to be used when official records were not complete. The TB skin test is something you'll find to be pretty ubiquitous. Expect to get it once a year during school and beyond that if you work in an institutional (hospital, nursing home, etc) setting.

I put my immunization form off since gaining acceptance in October, mostly out of fear of cost. Today, I went to the hospital which had my pediatric records. I was good to go on everything and just needed a tetanus shot and to complete a 2-step mantoux test. Took a half hour. I pick up my filled out form on Friday.

crossjb said:
I put my immunization form off since gaining acceptance in October, mostly out of fear of cost. Today, I went to the hospital which had my pediatric records. I was good to go on everything and just needed a tetanus shot and to complete a 2-step mantoux test. Took a half hour. I pick up my filled out form on Friday.
How long do hospitals/clinics usually keep vaccination records? I am afraid I can't find my copies. It would be great to go back to the Kaiser I went to during grade school to pull the records instead of shelling out more $$$ (and getting the needle sticks) to do 'em all over again. :(

My doctor was great - I brought a lot of paperwork in from work (Varicella titer, Rubella and Rubeola titer, TB Test), and he filled out a new immunization form for me. He said that they didn't keep the Meningitis vaccine, and to head to the health department.

Anyone had to take the Menomune shot yet? Could you get it somewhere else than the health department?

ICA said:
How long do hospitals/clinics usually keep vaccination records? I am afraid I can't find my copies. It would be great to go back to the Kaiser I went to during grade school to pull the records instead of shelling out more $$$ (and getting the needle sticks) to do 'em all over again. :(

Mine are from way back in the Reagan era. I was pleasantly shocked they had everything on file because I hadn't been to this particular hospital in over a decade and am accustomed to administrations (*cough* PharmCAS *cough*) misplacing records. Definitely, contact Kaiser. They should have everything on file...

usi said:
MMR I was in my 20s
Varicella I had it when I was little

I had chicken pox, mumps and a mild case of rubella. I only kept natural immunity against the varicella. So, I had to get another MMR before starting at UF in 2003. In December, UF made me get titers for the same things to make sure that I still have immunity or else I can't go on rotations. They were all good except for Hep B, so I had to redo the sequence. I just had my 2nd shot yesterday.

dgroulx said:
I had chicken pox, mumps and a mild case of rubella. I only kept natural immunity against the varicella. So, I had to get another MMR before starting at UF in 2003. In December, UF made me get titers for the same things to make sure that I still have immunity or else I can't go on rotations. They were all good except for Hep B, so I had to redo the sequence. I just had my 2nd shot yesterday.

Jeez, I guess I better be prepared to get shots again.
I am walking to the health dep today. With my checkbook...
Oh and take that CPR Certification. Mine expired years ago...