Vaccine leaking out of injection site

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soontobepharmd2017

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever given a flu shot where after the needle was taken out of the skin, there was medication leaking out? I had it happen the other day with fluad and afluria... never happened before but am confused and worried.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone ever given a flu shot where after the needle was taken out of the skin, there was medication leaking out? I had it happen the other day with fluad and afluria... never happened before but am confused and worried.
No.

Reactions: 1 user
Nothing from Unchained about vaccines being fake news anyway?

It never happened to me but I did see this happen to a preceptor of mine when I was an intern. Obviously it's less than ideal but what are you going to do? I just hope that enough stayed in to be effective.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile

yes I admit this happened to me a few times. I'm an appe student and the pharmacist allows me to give the flu shots. as long as you are pushing the needle to the hub you should be fine

Are you giving the correct length of needle based on weight? Usually this happens because people use the one inch needle for a patient weighing 300 pounds. Also don't let them roll up sleeves.

It has happened to me when people wear long sleeve shirts and when they roll them up it is so tight that it takes on the properties of a tourniquet. I have gotten into the habit of rubbing the injection site gently with my thumb directly after pulling out the needle, helps prevent vaccine blowback and bleeding.

this happened to me once or twice out of thousands of shots. you have to remember at 20 drops/ml,
Thanks for your responses everyone! Really appreciate it!
dont forget z-trak technique

It's happened to me at least a dozen times this year with Fluad. I've never had this issue in the past. It's probably no big deal though.

I've never had that happen with a vaccine, but I've occasionally had that happen with subcutaneous injections on myself. For example, if I remove the plastic cannula for my insulin pump right after I bolus. Was it with a larger patient? Any chance the vaccine went into subcutaneous tissue?

*edited to avoid pronoun confusion

Last edited:
What's the worst that can happen if the injection goes into SQ tissue? The longest needle I had was 1.5'' (I only have 5/8'', 1'' and 1.5'' needles in my kit) but one lady was huge and I'm pretty sure I didn't hit muscle.

What's the worst that can happen if the injection goes into SQ tissue? The longest needle I had was 1.5'' (I only have 5/8'', 1'' and 1.5'' needles in my kit) but one lady was huge and I'm pretty sure I didn't hit muscle.
I don't think anyone could have done better. I haven't seen any 2" needles anywhere and I haven't seen any recommendations for use of 2" needles anywhere either. There are probably a lot of reasons for vaccine leakage after injection. I wasn't sure about negative outcomes with subcutaneous injections, so I looked it up. It looks like there may be decreased immunogenicity and a higher risk of local adverse reactions.
The importance of injecting vaccines into muscle : Different patients need different needle sizes

Are you not feeling for the deltoid when finding your injection site?
I'm pretty aggressive when I do it, and I usually keep pressure on the arm with my off hand.

Never had a problem even with Ham-Planets