Valence electrons inquiry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

florida561

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think this specifically relates to transition metals.

Chad defines valence electrons as everything past the last noble gas as long as the 3d orbitals aren't full.
Going by this reasoning, Cr [Ar] 3d5 4s1 would have 6 valence electrons. I googled this and some sources do say there are 6 valence electrons.

However,
I've seen it mentioned on destroyer that you would only count the electrons in the highest subshell. Thus
Chromium [Ar] 3d5 4s1 would only have 1 valence electrons.

Anyone have a verdict on this?

Members don't see this ad.

I think this specifically relates to transition metals.

Chad defines valence electrons as everything past the last noble gas as long as the 3d orbitals aren't full.
Going by this reasoning, Cr [Ar] 3d5 4s1 would have 6 valence electrons. I googled this and some sources do say there are 6 valence electrons.

However,
I've seen it mentioned on destroyer that you would only count the electrons in the highest subshell. Thus
Chromium [Ar] 3d5 4s1 would only have 1 valence electrons.

Anyone have a verdict on this?

florida561

LOL..Pardon my mirth. You are not going to like this......but EVERYONE wins here !!! It depends on what you need it for and who you ask !!! In Organic chemistry, we will say 6 as an approximation to solve orbital related problems at high levels, and transition metal studies. HOWEVER...in General Chemistry, and on the DAT you must stick to the exact definition and say 1 since the outermost sublevel has one electron. I do admit that this is very confusing, but stick to the basics and you will be fine.

Thanks for a great question to the SDN community.

Dr. Jim Romano

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user