Valentine's Fun Fact

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrThom

Thundercat
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
You can only catch gonorrhea a maximum of 16 times.

Think about it...

Members don't see this ad.

DrThom said:

Think about it...

i'm thinking really hard.... still thinking.... ok, i don't get it :(

Here's another Valentine's day fact: Baltimore is the Syphillus capitol of the US, so all those headed to JHU have something to look forward to.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr. Donkey said:
Here's another Valentine's day fact: Baltimore is the Syphillus capitol of the US, so all those headed to JHU have something to look forward to.

hey, i mentioned that on another thread and someone told me i was wrong :mad:

Dr. Donkey said:

i just interviewed there- funny, they didn't mention the whole syphilis thing on the interview day. you think it would be one of the main attractions to the school. high murder rates and venereal diseases really get me excited...man, it sucks that such a good school is in such a terrible place. they were even worried about me walking outside to catch a cab (it was 6 at night).

Detroit is the fattest city in America for the second straight year
Detroit is the "STD capital" of America.

syphilis is followed by HIV which has recently become drug-proof.

I don't get the gonnorhea thing...do they remove 1/16th of your genitals each time you get it?

AStudent said:

I thought Houston was the fattest city, or have things changed?

indo said:

I don't get the gonnorhea thing...do they remove 1/16th of your genitals each time you get it?

Hmmmmm, drug Proof, really, sure about that. In fact third generation HIV / AIDS treatments using a combined Nucleoside analogue ( which results in premature DNA chain termination ) and protease inhibitor ( which is required for the assembly of the viron ) have been successful in decreasing viral loads to undetectable levels at the same time allowing full recovery of the immune system. There are currently no resistant HIV variants to this therapy, maybe b/c of the low rate of viral replication as well as the need for a dual mutation in both DNA nucleoside incorporation and viral protease function. Crack a book sometime.

Homer Doughnuts said:
Hmmmmm, drug Proof, really, sure about that. In fact third generation HIV / AIDS treatments using a combined Nucleoside analogue ( which results in premature DNA chain termination ) and protease inhibitor ( which is required for the assembly of the viron ) have been successful in decreasing viral loads to undetectable levels at the same time allowing full recovery of the immune system. There are currently no resistant HIV variants to this therapy, maybe b/c of the low rate of viral replication as well as the need for a dual mutation in both DNA nucleoside incorporation and viral protease function. Crack a book sometime.

he's referring to the recent case in NYC. whether or not it is in fact a drug-resistant strain is still unkown. read a newspaper sometime.

AStudent said:

50 Cent has a song on his upcoming album called "Baltimore Love Thing." The whole song is just a metaphor for a heroin addiction. Baltimore is def. more notorious.

Detroit > Baltimore :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr Turninkoff said:
he's referring to the recent case in NYC. whether or not it is in fact a drug-resistant strain is still unkown. read a newspaper sometime.

Lets not have this deteriorate into a food fight; the fact is, CURRENTLY there are no strains KNOWN that are resistant to this therapy.

here's ANOTHER fun fact.

The normal menstrual cycle lasts for 28 days with women ovulating on the 14th day.
February has 28 days, with Valentine's Day being on the 14th day....
coincidence? or conspiracy?

indo said:

There is only 16 different strains of gonnorhea...

after you catch it sixteen times, you are immune for life.

We learned this in our immunology class today.

Homer Doughnuts said:
Lets not have this deteriorate into a food fight; the fact is, CURRENTLY there are no strains KNOWN that are resistant to this therapy.

Here you go:

http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/02/11/news/HIV.html

Virus is resistant to nearly all drugs

A previously unknown strain of HIV that is highly resistant to virtually all known drugs and appears to lead to the rapid onset of AIDS was detected in a man last week, New York health officials said Friday.

While the extent of the spread of the disease is unknown, officials said the situation was alarming.

"We consider this a major potential problem," said Dr. Thomas Frieden, commissioner of the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene. The department issued an alert to all hospitals and doctors in the city to be on the lookout for the new strain.

The virus was found in a New York City man in his mid-40s who engaged in unprotected anal sex with other men on multiple occasions while he was using crystal methamphetamine.

While HIV strains that are resistant to some drug treatments have been on the rise in recent years throughout the United States, city officials said this case was unique and worrisome for several reasons.

First, they said, the strain of the disease was resistant to three of the four classes of drugs used to treat HIV from the moment the patient got sick. Typically, drug resistance comes after a patient is treated with retroviral drugs, often because they go off the prescribed course. And, more often than not, a person is only resistant to one or two classes of drugs.

But the resistance comes in combination with its rapid transformation into AIDS. Each of those things has been seen before, but never together.

In this case, the patient developed AIDS from 2 to 10 months after being infected. Usually, it takes 10 years for the average person infected with HIV to develop AIDS.

At a news conference at New York's health department, where Frieden was joined by nearly a dozen doctors and community leaders, several people recalled having that same worried feeling they had more than two decades ago, when AIDS first started appearing.

The city has been in close contact with the Centers for Disease Control in Atlanta.

More tests need to be completed before it is clear if any combination of drugs can work on this strain of the virus. But given what they know now, Frieden said treatment would be extremely difficult.

From the moment the health department learned about this case a week ago, they have been studying complex laboratory tests to figure out what exactly they had on their hands as well as trying to figure out the man's sexual history.

Health officials would not go into detail about how many people the man may have had sex with, but they have several investigators trying to track down partners. The man took an HIV test in May 2003 and was negative, health officials said. Investigators believe he contracted HIV in October of 2004, when he engaged in unprotected anal sex with multiple partners while using crystal methamphetamine. The man found some of his partners on the Internet, officials said.

Frieden said that the most likely scenario was that the man had sex with someone who had AIDS and had already developed a resistance to drugs. "Whoever gave it to him most likely did not have sex only with him," Frieden said.

Learned in class today: Human menstral cycle is 28 days and corresponds to the phases of the moon. In northern lattitudes during the winter the cycle can slightly vary moreso than in middle lattitudes presumably due to the ability of middle lattitude (ie india/mexico/egypt) to see the moon more clearly (less cloud cover).

I was like :confused: when I heard that, but now I know why people in Michigan are so pissy. (sundeprived and PMS)

AStudent said:
Learned in class today: Human menstral cycle is 28 days and corresponds to the phases of the moon. In northern lattitudes during the winter the cycle can slightly vary moreso than in middle lattitudes presumably due to the ability of middle lattitude (ie india/mexico/egypt) to see the moon more clearly (less cloud cover).

I was like :confused: when I heard that, but now I know why people in Michigan are so pissy. (sundeprived and PMS)

This may have been true when people lived outside or in tents, but I can assure you as a woman that it's not true now. Everybody has a different cycle, timing-wise and also length (basically between 24 and 34 days). I don't doubt that back in hunter-gatherer days women in the same place shared the same cycle, both for hormonal reasons (like girls who are roommates) and for moon cycle reasons.

DrThom said:
There is only 16 different strains of gonnorhea...

after you catch it sixteen times, you are immune for life.

We learned this in our immunology class today.

isn't gonorrhea a bacterium?

maybe i'm missing something on this?

Brain said:
Here you go:

http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/02/11/news/HIV.html

Virus is resistant to nearly all drugs

A previously unknown strain of HIV that is highly resistant to virtually all known drugs and appears to lead to the rapid onset of AIDS was detected in a man last week, New York health officials said Friday.

While the extent of the spread of the disease is unknown, officials said the situation was alarming.

"We consider this a major potential problem," said Dr. Thomas Frieden, commissioner of the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene. The department issued an alert to all hospitals and doctors in the city to be on the lookout for the new strain.

The virus was found in a New York City man in his mid-40s who engaged in unprotected anal sex with other men on multiple occasions while he was using crystal methamphetamine.

While HIV strains that are resistant to some drug treatments have been on the rise in recent years throughout the United States, city officials said this case was unique and worrisome for several reasons.

First, they said, the strain of the disease was resistant to three of the four classes of drugs used to treat HIV from the moment the patient got sick. Typically, drug resistance comes after a patient is treated with retroviral drugs, often because they go off the prescribed course. And, more often than not, a person is only resistant to one or two classes of drugs.

But the resistance comes in combination with its rapid transformation into AIDS. Each of those things has been seen before, but never together.

In this case, the patient developed AIDS from 2 to 10 months after being infected. Usually, it takes 10 years for the average person infected with HIV to develop AIDS.

At a news conference at New York's health department, where Frieden was joined by nearly a dozen doctors and community leaders, several people recalled having that same worried feeling they had more than two decades ago, when AIDS first started appearing.

The city has been in close contact with the Centers for Disease Control in Atlanta.

More tests need to be completed before it is clear if any combination of drugs can work on this strain of the virus. But given what they know now, Frieden said treatment would be extremely difficult.

From the moment the health department learned about this case a week ago, they have been studying complex laboratory tests to figure out what exactly they had on their hands as well as trying to figure out the man's sexual history.

Health officials would not go into detail about how many people the man may have had sex with, but they have several investigators trying to track down partners. The man took an HIV test in May 2003 and was negative, health officials said. Investigators believe he contracted HIV in October of 2004, when he engaged in unprotected anal sex with multiple partners while using crystal methamphetamine. The man found some of his partners on the Internet, officials said.

Frieden said that the most likely scenario was that the man had sex with someone who had AIDS and had already developed a resistance to drugs. "Whoever gave it to him most likely did not have sex only with him," Frieden said.

Good post, but which of the therapies was the patient on ? You can’t draw any conclusions from this other than there is a multi-drug resistant strain of HIV with a high level of virulence. The article even states that the strain is resistant to 3 of 4 current drug classes meaning that it is not "drug proof" as the OP stated. It would be interesting to know exactly which of the 4 drug classes it is resistant to. :confused:

Homer Doughnuts said:

Thanks for the Intro to Cellular Bio for pre-Nursing students mini-lecture!

Those analogue drugs are rapidly bypassed by HIV if the person doesn't stick to a 100% consistent drug schedule. If a dose is missed, even in a period of one day HIV can mutate to recognize the analogue and remove and replace it totally making the drug ineffective. This new strain apparently recognizes all but one drug and also binds to two cd4 receptors. I read an article that says the guy came down with symptoms between 2 and 20 months of infection. Hopefully he was abstinate for most of that period. :thumbdown:

Also, if you are getting your HIV information from a text book it is already outdated.

it is resistant to 19/20 according to one of the google news articles. Most are too general to get into details about the type of drugs though.

wait, here
"Strains of 3-DCR HIV are resistant to three of the four available types of antiviral drugs that are most commonly prescribed: nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors, non-nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors, and protease inhibitors."

Brain said:
I thought Houston was the fattest city, or have things changed?

detroit was the fattest city for a couple years ina row, but it is no longer so. I think you are right; it is now houston. I believe detroit fell a few spots on the list...

According to Men's Fitness (using a dubious methodology which I could go on and on about how flawed it is, but would wind up being hypocritical as I often rely on US News' Med School Ranking), America's fattest city oscillates between Detriot and Houston. This year, Houston ranks as the fattest city, followed by Philly and Detriot.

Houston as the fattest city in the country? My eyes can attest to that :scared:

http://www.mensfitness.com/rankings/304

has anyone figured out you can only catch a bacterium 16 times?

DrThom said:

Think about it...

Really?! I'll show you!! ;-P