Valsartan Recalls Affecting Your Practice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PA_dud3

PA-S1
Moderator Emeritus
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had read earlier this month that certain manufacturers' Valsartan/Valsartan-HCTZ had been recalled but I had thought it was mostly in Europe, etc. Today we get a thing from McKesson about how some of the kind we keep in stock had been recalled as well (Solco). We don't have too many patients on it, but it was kinda interesting to see it all play out, as its the first time our store's been affected by a recall since I've started. Didn't know if you guys experienced any hiccups today due to the recalls.

Cheers,

Dd3

Members don't see this ad.

I lost all of my Valsartan 40mg, 80mg, 160mg, and 320mg. I use Amerisource and Solco is the only manufacturer I have on the shelf.

Members don't see this ad :)
It’s too bad there’s not 14 different arbs we could switch the patient to

The real shame is this didn’t happen to another junky drug. The atenolol shortage did great things getting people to better beta-blockers.

Reactions: 4 users
Yup.

I'm betting it's going to expand to ALL NDCs

Reactions: 1 user
They are saying 3 companies were asked to recall, not just Solco..

"The FDA asked three companies, Major Pharmaceuticals, Solco Healthcare and Teva Pharmaceuticals Industries Ltd., to recall their valsartan products. Solco and Teva were also asked to recall their drugs containing valsartan/hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ)."
Blood Pressure Medications Recalled Over Cancer Fears

FDA announces voluntary recall of several medicines containing valsartan following detection of an impurity

I think the only brand of those recalled we carry is just Solco. We do have some Aurobindo. As CAV said, I'm curious as to whether or not this will expand to all NDCs.

I think the only brand of those recalled we carry is just Solco. We do have some Aurobindo. As CAV said, I'm curious as to whether or not this will expand to all NDCs.
Well, it probably will since those other manufacturers will have their NDCs too. I tried finding out more, but since that was more of a formulary drug and not a PA drug, I don't have access to a ton of info on it aside from our friend Google. heh..

Maybe this is regional, but most of my ARB patients are on losartan. I have very few on valsartan.

Losartan was the first ARB to go generic in the U.S. so it's no surprise most people on ARBs are on losartan

You don't realize how many are on valsartan until your entire OOS queue is valsartan.

Reactions: 1 users
what do you do as far as the patients are concerned? Just wait until someone calls and swap out the affected valsartan? or do we need to find out who is affected and contact them?

what do you do as far as the patients are concerned? Just wait until someone calls and swap out the affected valsartan? or do we need to find out who is affected and contact them?

Your company should have sent out info on what to do. Patients probably received letters.

Walgreens has us reimburse the amount they didn't take if they ask for reimbursement. We aren't to reverse insurance claims though.